The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
LordOfDarkness

Has anyone mentioned zierer yet? Good shout it could be with Merlin using them for other projects at the moment.
[align=center]Image

SamRyan ~ @SamRyanSport [/align]
Tom G

Well I've been looking at this on and off for most of the day, so I don't think it is duelling/racing now. It looks like one train will take the entire circuit...I'm sure many have been saying this all along, but I seem to have overlooked a clear plan view! I think will need quite high capacity trains and numerous block sections to cope with capacity then?

Also the inversion record seems likely again...?
Blaze

It's Gerstlauer. End of discussion.

I must appologize for my part in this. I should have read the noise assesement before posting. :oops:

It looks like just standard Eurofighter trains, be they 4 across or the longer 2 across, looking at the tightness of the elements.
Jiminy Cricket

do you guys think its going to look messy?  from the pictures theres just supports everywhere i'm worried its going to make x sector look abit well messy?
AstroDan

It may look congested. But hopefully it'll look just fine!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
jayron7

LordOfDarkness wrote: Has anyone mentioned zierer yet? Good shout it could be with Merlin using them for other projects at the moment.
I was going to mention Zierer! I was thinking it could have a vertical launch mid course like the launch at the beginning of Wicked at Lagoon, bUt then again Anubis has a similar vertical launch as well! It does scream out gerstlauer, even looking at the eurofighter at Fuji-Q. Forgot the name sounds like takashima!!
CoasterCrazyChris

Jiminy Cricket wrote: do you guys think its going to look messy?  from the pictures theres just supports everywhere i'm worried its going to make x sector look abit well messy?
It appears to be a very obtrusive ride.

I think the sheer density of the track and supports is what makes it look so exciting. One thing is for certain though - it will take the spotlight off Oblivion. SW7 will be the first ride you will hear and see and will distract from the compelling nature of Oblivion. If anything this new ride will be fractionally taller as well.

There will be marginally less space in X-Sector once the ride is built, so we may end up with a Dark Forest situation where the infrastructure is unable to cope with the increased number of guests and reduced area space. However, X-Sector has been designed much better than Dark Forest so it shouldn't be as much of a problem. I think there will be a need for more seating areas and food kiosks though.

:)
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrbrightside

jayron7 wrote:
LordOfDarkness wrote: Has anyone mentioned zierer yet? Good shout it could be with Merlin using them for other projects at the moment.
I was going to mention Zierer! I was thinking it could have a vertical launch mid course like the launch at the beginning of Wicked at Lagoon, bUt then again Anubis has a similar vertical launch as well! It does scream out gerstlauer, even looking at the eurofighter at Fuji-Q. Forgot the name sounds like takashima!!
It is a Gerstlauer. The planning application says so, and the sooner we stop going round in circles about the manufacturer, the better really. I don't mean to come across mean, but it's been discussed to death - and there is only one answer thanks to the planning documents :)
ImageImage
Blaze

I don't know. It looks like they've designed it so that when you're in the midway near the ride, you're inside the tangle of track rather than facing the whole thing. Obviously when it's rendered on a screen it's different from what it will look like in the steel, but I like spaghetti bowl coasters. The big junble of track makes them look interesting and I think that could work here.
Rob L

jayron7 wrote:
It screams out Gerstlauer because is is Gerstlauer.

Can we put that it is a Gerstlauer in the topic title to prevent pointless discussion over the ride manufacturer?

Jiminy Cricket

anyone have an idea if there will be a pit dug ?
Tom G

So on with the positives.

The ride looks awesome, tight and intimidating. It will be highly marketable and that's before we know of any indoor/world's first elements.

Queuline interaction is going to be awesome.
Tom G

Jiminy Cricket wrote: anyone have an idea if there will be a pit dug ?
Of sorts, some ground will be excavated, giving a drop height of around 100 feet or a little more, I estimate.
Blaze

Apart from the manufacturer and ride type, Alton are giving us exactly what we wanted, if not more. And some of us did want a Eurofighter, so they must be delerious. We wanted a replacement for the Black Hole. This is it. We wanted life back in X Sector. This will bring it. We wanted a tight, compact, twisty layout. This has one. We wanted a ride with length. This has two lits. We wanted a couple of inversions. This has at least eight. Eight!

The drop will be around 75 feet, but ocunting the loss of height in the turnaround, the total elevation change will be closer to 100.
jayron7

Blaze wrote: Apart from the manufacturer and ride type, Alton are giving us exactly what we wanted, if not more. And some of us did want a Eurofighter, so they must be delerious. We wanted a replacement for the Black Hole. This is it. We wanted life back in X Sector. This will bring it. We wanted a tight, compact, twisty layout. This has one. We wanted a ride with length. This has two lits. We wanted a couple of inversions. This has at least eight. Eight!

The drop will be around 75 feet, but ocunting the loss of height in the turnaround, the total elevation change will be closer to 100.
Do you not think that the second lift could be a vertical launch like on Cheetah Hunt? Just a thought!
Tom G

I can understand some people's disappointment as after this, there is unlikely to be a major rollercoaster installed until 2016 or 2017.

I do not understand why people would want a chunky lumbering B&M crammed into this area. The tightest elements they make these days can fit cruise ships inside them. This will be far superior and exciting.
Craig

Rob wrote: It screams out Gerstlauer because is is Gerstlauer.

Can we put that it is a Gerstlauer in the topic title to prevent pointless discussion over the ride manufacturer?

Done - although I've left the type as coaster as that's potentially still open to discussion :)
LordOfDarkness

Sorry everyone, Just gone through all of the applications! My Bad :(
[align=center]Image

SamRyan ~ @SamRyanSport [/align]
MattH

Tom G wrote: I'm still holding out hope this will be made of wood.
You want a wooden Gerstlauer, In X-Sector?!?!?!? Kinda defeats the object of the futuristic look they aim for in that area does it not?

Seriously though, I'm kinda holding back on all this at the moment, knowing Merlin's track record, but it will be amazing to see being built, really looking forward to looking at the construction of it over this coming year.
Blaze

Tom G wrote: I can understand some people's disappointment as after this, there is unlikely to be a major rollercoaster installed until 2016 or 2017.
That's the normal waiting period anyway.