The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
adsyrah

I think people are getting a bit confused about where the ride exits the building - it's to the right of where it enters the station, not directly underneath.
Morgano

The station is a mystery to me, as I first suspected it looks like nothing unusual will go on. The issue I have though is the queueline occupies a portion of the lower floor and the shop and exit. I assume it will be a similar load to thirteen where the queue goes over and down on the far side. However the track still goes from lower to higher before leaving the station. This leaves an extremely small amount of room for turning, loading and droping to the lower level.

And whilst I'd love to believe something special happens inside or that there is an underground section below the building i'm finding it very unlikely.
Morgano

siralgenon wrote: Although the station / building is built over two levels it still seems very small to fit a station, queue line and fingers crossed pre-show :yes: as well as a turnaround?
And what looks like a shop and exit line.
James6

I've gone through this topic and can't find where the Kumbak talk has come from, can someone please clear that up? :)
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
Rocket

As where you exit the station is below where you come back in, I would say a turning drop an possibly barrel role, as the station faces the other way to the start of the main outdoor ride.
I don't mind a steep drop inside like saws :) then turn and go outside.
You exit below the maintenance areas remember so you have from the station round an below to the outside bit.
Last edited by Rocket on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bote

People were discussing Maurer X-Coaster which lead to Rip, Ride, Rockit which lead to the fact KumbaK are suposidly sorting it :P No real relivance to SW7 before you get in a dither :P
Ryan.

I think at the very least inside the station we can expect some kind of turn around/drop then the track will go underneath itself to reach the exit hole, a barrel roll or something inside just before exiting would be good i think like saw.
Blaze

With this being Gerstlaur, a sudden sharp drop and a barrell roll are pretty reasonable things to hope for. I can see it taking a 90 degree left turn out of the station, dropping, turning another 180 degrees into a barrell rolland turning 90 degrees to the right to line up with the first lift.
Ryan.

Stern John wrote: This might sound like rubbish but could the track turn underneath itself and then invert so it is then the right way up again before leaving the building?
you mean from the station drop 180 degress so the train is upside down then do an in-line twist or something? would be a good way of avoiding a turn around, if it's possible or not I couldn't tell you :)

where do people think the station will be by the way? on the upper level as soon as the train returns to the building or on the lower level just before exiting?
Blaze

On the upper level, it makes no sense to have the maintenance area on the second floor if the station isn't, plus I think it says "station return" on the plans, as oposed to simply "ride exit" on the other hole.
darrenhosker

I'd say on the top level of the big building like saw.

On those 3d renderings of the building, how does the return entry track get to the big hole in the side of the top level building. The plans show it entering at the maintenance building, that door is level with the roof of the canopy and higher than the maintenance building?
AstroDan

I doubt they'd want the same sort of indoor as Saw on this.

I am expecting nothing inside, so anything that comes will be a bonus.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Tom G

Can we start a discussion on this being a Vekoma, given the track's appearance? :lol:
Boz

forgot to model in the stairs #-o

there are access stairs on the maintenance/transfer area leading into the main building at the same level as the return track so i guess the platform will be immediately after entering the station.
judging by the clearance on the right hand side i think that the trains will drop and turn left out of the station and make  a sweeping turn using some of the retail building before coming back under the station and going right out to the lift area
Boz

darrenhosker wrote: I'd say on the top level of the big building like saw.

On those 3d renderings of the building, how does the return entry track get to the big hole in the side of the top level building. The plans show it entering at the maintenance building, that door is level with the roof of the canopy and higher than the maintenance building?
the plans are not completely accurate as the track is simply not drawn in on the overhead block plan, but IS shown on the station elevation plan
Rocket

darrenhosker wrote: I'd say on the top level of the big building like saw.

From what I can see, the station exit is on the lower floor, the re entry is on the upper floor, next to the maintenance bay, id like to say you exit below the Maintenance bay ( which is located next to the station re entry)
I'm hoping for an inversion/ turn around inside.
themealgang

I hope it's not an X Car! They are horrible- just look at Rockit and G Force. Both terrible rides, and Universal are clearly not happy with the way Rockit is performing. I too have heard rumours that KumbaK have been drafted in to sort out new trains. 

Back on topic, I'm still sticking with Gerstlauer being the rides supplier; it's almost confirmed. From the look of the track, it looks like nothing they have done before; therefore I believe it is based upon the Eurofighter system and not strictly sticking to the common code and conventions. The signature "beyond vertical" drop for a start appears to be absent from the SW7 plans.

I am quite happy it's Gerstlauer to be honest who is building the ride. Rage and Speed are awesome, forceful rides and the company seems to have now established a good reputation with both enthusiasts and industry experts. If you also look at their construction turnaround... they seem to get their rides assembled in record time, and tend to seem to be reliable too.

I am just so excited about this development; it certainly looks like it will be the Gerstlauer's signature ride in Europe, and is without shadow of a doubt the most adrenaline fuelled ride Alton Towers has installed in recent years. Just look at the amount of inversions.... eight of the things!  :D According to a fanpage I have "liked" on Facebook, the order of inversions are as follows: Dive Loop, Dive Loop, Batwing, Vertical Lift,  Sea Serpent Roll (Roll Over), Cobra Roll
I know this has been mentioned previously, but this is enough to get me excited in itself. A double dive loop? I am almost certain that that has never been achieved before!  :? Then we come to a Batwing- a UK's first and a rare inversion in itself. It's not like they have crammed the inversions in for the sake of it; they are unique and it will be a spectacular ride. Just to add to it, Dare Devil Dive has been the latest Euro Fighter in install "lap bars" only. Could you imagine how awesome this restraint system would be on SW7?!

It's so exciting; its almost like in the past 24 hours I have forgot an ABC drop tower is opening in less than nine weeks time.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
.Will

Tom G wrote: Can we start a discussion on this being a Vekoma, given the track's appearance? :lol:
With a new 4 across train?

:P
Blaze

themealgang wrote: I know this has been mentioned previously, but this is enough to get me excited in itself. A double dive loop? I am almost certain that that has never been achieved before!  :? Then we come to a Batwing- a UK's first and a rare inversion in itself. It's not like they have crammed the inversions in for the sake of it; they are unique and it will be a spectacular ride.
Quite the opposite. It's clear they wanted to pack in as many inversions and elements as possible. Not going to judge whether that's a good or bad thing just yet, if the ride has the intensity to justify it, it will be a smart move, if not, the back and forth, RCT style nature plus the B&M style progression will let it down, but I'm leaning towards the former. It looks like it will do enough to justify being progressively  extremely simple.
Stern John

Ryan. wrote:
Stern John wrote: This might sound like rubbish but could the track turn underneath itself and then invert so it is then the right way up again before leaving the building?
you mean from the station drop 180 degress so the train is upside down then do an in-line twist or something? would be a good way of avoiding a turn around, if it's possible or not I couldn't tell you :)
Yeah, that's what I meant but found it hard to put into words. Maybe even just drop 135 degrees underneath itself and an immediate roll/twist/whatever.