The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
bbooth2

ive just completely given up on the idea on some sort of gimmick/trick track, and in honesty I don't realy want anything to happen. there is no concrete evidence anywhere on the track that there is a gimmick. the pov of the smiler shows the bottom of the v lift hill and it speeds it up it doesn't cut it off.
Heisenberg96

Lucieloo wrote:
Heisenberg96 wrote: I'd rather they'd video it the whole way round in that case. That way we can get a feel for what it's like when you're sitting at the bottom of that dreaded lift hill.

I think thats the point though, they want some things kept secret. Its JW's last, if we all see it before it happens wheres the element of surprise?? Thats like not bothering the wrap a present really isn't it..?
Just think this time next month we will all know..
True, I wouldn't have even minded if they didn't show the video though...I'd have just preferred it if I got an idea of the flow of the ride.
Last edited by Heisenberg96 on Thu May 16, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveBear

I think the videos are cut just to give you something to look at, instead of watching the long lift times.

There is another full ride video that shows the full lift sequences only while it comes to the lifts the video speeds up and i think they speeded it up for same reasons others cut it out and thats because who wants to see the say 10 seconds it takes to start to climb the hills.

I still think there has to be some secrets we dont know, that Wardley Email suggests surprises that we will like.

Now if we go back to his Radio Interview he said the Smiler has a number of Worlds First but there is one NEVER DONE BEFORE that they are keeping secret until opening day and you will have to Ride it to find out.

Lets take a look at other worlds first or supposed....

Worlds First 14 Looping Coaster.....  Well we have known that for a while, and we have seen real ride footage that matches the No  Limits Recreation, anyone who watches the ride by that at the park, or those who seen the POV Footage will see that there is 14 Inversions.. no big secret, and only a World Record.

Marmaliser ..... Again all parts are working as far as visual gimmick goes and thats all it appears to be, we can see it if you wait for the ride or walk past and the POV and other videos show them.... They could be merely a Gimmick and for a lot of Riders at the Speeds and Twists and Turns i doubt they would notice them to a massive extent as you wizz past at high speeds while being thrilled or scared of the Roller Coaster you mind will be preoccupied to much with that, than actually be able to view the Marmaliser on ride, it will all just be a blur as you are tossed around the Ride.

Ok if say the Giggler sprays you with Smoke or the Inoculator with Water these will interact and effect the Rider but they are far from Worlds First.

I still suspect their is a lot more to those elements than we have seen so far.  And i think you can only really experience them to full extent when your actually on the Ride.

Indoor SE .... Well we have seen that the ride once you go past the Station and into that indoor section, you simply roll down the track and into the First Inversion and then end up stopping at the break run while you wait for the chain lift to take you up the first Hill.

Now the indoor section looks plain and unfinished, i would bet they would add some lights and strobes and who knows what else in that section.  Then you get to the straight track before the lift hill with Ha Ha Ha Ha on the walls this section would be in more light so you can see the Ha Ha Ha Ha... maybe there will be the soundtrack playing.

Now from all Videos that run from Station to stop they appear to run for longer than the 165 seconds ride time, and so there would be no time for any trickery or Pre Show before the 1st Lift Hill.  Yes they may add sounds and some lighting etc, but i feel that any Projection Mapping in that indoor section could be a expensive waste of time, as from when the ride starts until you stop at the bottom of the lift hill part your looking at 20 seconds but its 20 seconds where you are thrown through the first inversion.

Reverse Free Fall Drop.... i cant really see this, i think they want to get as many trains on the track as they can and i just cant see them taking a train to the top of the vertical hill only to then drop you down, to then climb the thing up again. Unless 2nd climb is a launch and there is no piece of Launch system on that hill.

Its all ready a slow part of the ride to climb the hill, i cant see them drop you down to them take more time to climb back up again.

So the Worlds First has to be maybe some to do with the Train and Marmaliser and maybe some kind of Interaction with the Ride and Theme before you get on the Train and maybe again as it returns to the Station before you get off.
Last edited by DaveBear on Thu May 16, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCandrew

Okay, this:

Is an uncut version from CapitalFM, except it fast forward's at the hill but you can still see what happens! Although I am wondering why they stop so far away from the hill/TV's then they go forward and stop for a few seconds Then eh go up!
Boz

the first stop will be the block brakes, possibly timing for a potential dueling capability (which is the only thing we haven't had confirmed or denied yet).
The second pause, is due to the way in which Gerst's lift system works. there is a "catch block" attached to the chain at a certain point, which has to come up behind the train, before it can be pulled up the hill. I saw a video on this somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
DaveBear

Yes thats the video i was on about and just seen it again and yes there is still a little cut from when the train stops at the bottom of the Lift Hill after the Ha Ha Ha Ha on the walls and then starts to climb...

It also does the same on the Vertical Hill so i paused it before they speed the video.......

AND.....

There is on the walk way above the track on the Vertical Hill, 2 Lots of TV Screens, Speakers and Cameras....

This must show a video or something, and then take photos of your reaction, or it could be that your faces are captured before you Ride and then you are shown your faces maybe being distorted on those screens, while the Dr speaks to you saying your half way corrected etc.

Then as you get off i recon you will be able to purchase a Photo of your face with big smiler smiles saying Fully Corrected Smiler Advocate
RCandrew

DaveBear wrote: There is on the walk way above the track on the Vertical Hill, 2 Lots of TV Screens, Speakers and Cameras....

This must show a video or something, and then take photos of your reaction, or it could be that your faces are captured before you Ride and then you are shown your faces maybe being distorted on those screens, while the Dr speaks to you saying your half way corrected etc.

Then as you get off i recon you will be able to purchase a Photo of your face with big smiler smiles saying Fully Corrected Smiler Advocate
Yeah I think there will definitely be something on the screens, much like saw the ride but more of a little pre/halfway show!
DaveBear

Well looking at the hints in the theme etc.....

They said there are various elements that will play with the riders, distract them and change our emotions.  I am not really sure what props stuck to the Marmaliser Legs or the Screen will actually do to distract us at all, i have been on rides with such things and even basic rides with such things, such as the Ducks on the Water Ride.. In Florida there are many rides with things at the side of the tracks and themes, and on the rides that go really fast they dont have such things as u hardly notice them.

I think the whole idea is to create fear and tension and to mentally play with your mind, maybe this can be done before you get onto the trains.

Going back to interaction, and while your on any kind of ride, having something that sprays you with Water certainly adds a extra experience to the Ride rather than visual elements.  Look at the Rabid Rides, take away the Water and well whats the point, the getting Wet is what makes this Ride.

I have been on various Rides in the USA, and seen Projection Mapping and its neat but only works on rides in he dark and that are not fast, as with other visual elements.

Some rides have added elements that add to the ride, some blast you with ice cold gas that makes you cold, and then some have real fire balls above you that you can feel the intense heat, some the train wobbles and bounces about and some yes you get water sprayed on you and all these add to the ride.

Maybe the Smiler will have something similar maybe not, we just cant be sure, what is for certain is some of these interactive kinds of events, can distract you from the ride, so while you may be pooping your self on the ride a spray of water can make you giggle and for that moment distract you from the traditional thrill of a Roller Coaster.

Again though, while the Marketing could hint to maybe some elements like this, so far no video has proven any such thing to be the case, however for purposes of testing and reporters, such things could be simply turned off until open day.

I do think there is more to this ride experience but that does not mean that anything more is added to the actual track and while you ride along that track, apart from maybe what purpose does the screens and cameras and speakers have on the Vertical Lift Hill.

And in which way could they play anything on regards to a Worlds First?
scruffy_

If there is nothing happening in the indoor bit, why did Towerstimes and other sites have to block parts of the early construction images out in that section?
Nytician

I think that was one of the inversions that wasn't yet covered by the indoor section to stop giving away that it would beat the 14 inversion limit? Not sure though.
Liam B

scruffy_ wrote: If there is nothing happening in the indoor bit, why did Towerstimes and other sites have to block parts of the early construction images out in that section?
they were blocking the indoor roll as we didn't know about the 14 inversions then.
Lucieloo

Well lets be honest I think they have shown us the POV's and now thats that.. What I mean is now we have seen the indoor, they can get to painting, or getting that indoor bit ready. What they have shown is an unfinished section. Bet we dont see anymore pov's now. They have given us a taster, now its time to wait to ride to actually see whats what!
So excited though!
Is there still a press event tomorrow?
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
DaveBear

Well some knew that anyway from plans etc....

I think they did it for pure speculation, as there is nothing more better than to fuel hype and speculation and let the internet community and virals get us all to debate what could be going on indoors.

Now appears that all it needs is to be  decorated or added special effects like lights and strobes or just to paint the whole section black or what ever to keep it dark.
Boz

Please can we ensure that discussion is that of a healthy manner and is constructive for the benefit of guests and members alike.

Posts that stray off topic, i.e. one word posts, 'joke posts' and those that break our forums guidelines will be removed.

Make everyones jobs a bit easier by ensuring your posts are of a good quality.

Team TTF
Last edited by Boz on Thu May 16, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N3m3s1s

I have a feeling that there will be some sort of pre-show during the indoor queue. Why else would there be flaps on the door to block out light?
Andzdrew

Boz wrote: the first stop will be the block brakes, possibly timing "or a potential dueling capability (which is the only thing we haven't had confirmed or denied yet).
The second pause, is due to the way in which Gerst's lift system works. there is a "catch block" attached to the chain at a certain point, which has to come up behind the train, before it can be pulled up the hill. I saw a video on this somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
I'd just like to make a point of this... In my freefall drop theory, the easiest way to achieve it would be to have two of these "catch blocks" on the chain... Obviously this drop element is still a secret... Even from the people that are riding it! Guess how that would be achieved? They take the train to the bottom of the lifthill, they manually hold the train while they advance the chain enough so that the special dropping catch block goes up, then they let the train go and it hooks onto the "up and over" catch block.

The reason they cut this section is because sharp eyed people like me would see the chain advancing and the special catch block going up... It would be visual proof of a drop.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Just seen Roodlesnouter's photo of the entrance, now with added signs, but more importantly CCTV cameras. Now, there are CCTV cameras everywhere (in The Smiler Bedroom, on the bedroom's signs, on the game stall, in the mobile game), and what appear to be multiple ORPs. I'm not saying that this supports the facial recognition 'smile if you want to go faster' idea, but I have a feeling there is a significant feature that involves either live video or some sort of photo capture that we've never seen the like of before...
RCandrew

I don't think there will be a drop but,
When people were talking about it dropping, I thought they meant all the way back and then it would roll to a stop on the flat before the lift hill, maybe breaks stop it I don't know, then it's carried up again?
Andzdrew

RCandrew wrote: I don't think there will be a drop but,
When people were talking about it dropping, I thought they meant all the way back and then it would roll to a stop on the flat before the lift hill, maybe breaks stop it I don't know, then it's carried up again?
There is a lovely set of pinch brakes at the bottom of the vertical lift for this exact purpose
RCandrew

Andzdrew wrote:
RCandrew wrote: I don't think there will be a drop but,
There is a lovely set of pinch brakes at the bottom of the vertical lift for this exact purpose
So what are you saying?? It will or won't? :)