The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

On the mail website he said "my head shook uncontrollably" bumpy ride? :-(
He said it as a good thing haha not us would disagree ;)
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
Ripsaw Raver

Now we have seen them lights on in the HAHAHA roomi think that looking at them they look like LEDS, really hoping to see a shutter at the end of the room and have them lights flash different colours, if you look at the style of the walls in the HAHAHA room and on video 2 of Smile.Always the brick pattern in the same, making me think that them walls will have projection mapping on them. Also the look on the faces of the 2 blokes under than light actually look as if they are heat lights
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Heisenberg96

Do you reckon John meant that adverts will be out this weekend or during the next working week?
LCFCjames

To start speculation again, what sort of effects does everyone think we'll see in the indoor section, if any? I would like a small pre-show with some fancy lighting and maybe dry ice and the freaky Smiler music playing loud, controlling our minds 8)
Katherine

Woo, 50th post xD, What I think would be cool would be if the face recognition software projected people's faces and the analysis of fear, etc  that onto the marmaliser screens, I think that'd be genius.
DaveBear

Well its getting Interesting now.....

We now seen the full ride from station and looking at the track as soon as you enter the indoor section of ride from the station it just sends you down the track and into the inversion and then only place you stop is at the section before the chain lift will take you up the 1st hill but this area seems to just have blue writing on the wall and is not in the dark.

It seems to say Ha Ha Ha Ha....

So no time for any show, maybe we can before that section and after it leaves the station have some kind of light and sound effects in the dark as the train makes its 12 second journey from station to the lift hill.

And it appears that the Marmaliser is basically just visual apart from the Inoculator and Giggler that looks like it will spray you with Gas and Water.

So it does look like any worlds first is well not really any at all, not in the tradition of the Special Weapon World Firsts since after Nemesis

Rita was made after a few of these but was never a SW Coaster because well it never had anything that was Worlds First.

Maybe the Smiler should not have been billed as SW7 because apart from few gimmicks that other Rides and Coasters have had before, and a Record 14 Inversions that can and will be beaten. I dont see any major break through.

Only when the Ride opens will we know for sure, but Wardley did say it had many Worlds First and one in particular they are keeping under wraps, so maybe the Worlds Major Firsts are nothing to do with the actual Ride but maybe the before and after the Ride experience?

Still in its own right the number of Inversions in such a short track does make for a really intense roller coaster experience and dont forget the USA has many really big thrill Roller Coasters and they have nothing really ground breaking on them.

Takabisha is not really ground breaking and pretty much like a Saw, only it adds more inversions higher drops and more steeper drop and thus a more thrilling version of the Saw Ride. And i guess thats all that matters end of the day.

The Smiler will give us in UK to experience some of the best parts of rides like Kraken and The Hulk all rolled into one smaller Coaster with few extras thrown in.

But then again reading that Email from Wardley and his comments in previous interviews inc ones from after 13 was done, maybe there is something special and more than just a few, but what and where is the Big Mystery.

Maybe it would be something out of the box, and by Surprises maybe somethings we would not really expect.
Last edited by DaveBear on Wed May 15, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheOutpatient

jrch123 wrote:
dazza4783 wrote:
Andzdrew wrote: I've just gone through the ITV central POV a few times, and although it's flipped horizontally at the first lifthill for some reason, we still have the very odd cutting out of a certain part of the ride...

That's right, that damned vertical hill. Some say they're just cutting it because it would be a waste of time watching it...

I say, what is it that the camera in POV would be looking directly at? That's right, we would see the lifthill chain... I say the part that was cut was the chain starting up (train manually held so it doesn't catch yet) and we would see the special freefall drop doggy going up the lifthill without us...

So that bit got cut and then it's started from when the real "up and over" doggy grabs the chain
POV, no cuts.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/al ... um=twitter
I don't normally post,  I am a lurker... but honestly...

You REALLY need to let go of this backwards freefall idea - this obsession is starting to look unhealthy.
In this guys defence, it doesn't annoy me, this is the speculation topic after all. I don't know if this idea has been done yet, but it actually seems like a good, plausible idea, though I don't think its on The Smiler. At first I thought it was a cheesey idea but now I quite like it.

I haven't seen any discussion about this (and I'm not about to read 600 pages) but that 2nd lift hill - Am I right to think this is where the Dueling starts?
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Heisenberg96

Has the possibility of something happening when the train returns indoors been ruled out? I just don't remember any of the povs returning to the docking station
Andzdrew

Yes, when a train leaves both lifthills at the same time they will duel. So in my theory if there is a drop on vertical then there would be a roll back on the first lift to keep the trains in sync.

I know it's bordering on obsession but in all honesty it would be a world's first, the drop tower design is there for us to see, and nothing has disproved it, whilst more and more circumstantial evidence actually points to it being true.
Alex

So what evidence indicates it?
Andzdrew

Ready_23 wrote: So what evidence indicates it?
The fins themselves dictate a drop tower,
Then there was the radio 4 interview that confirmed a "sudden drop"
Altons website says "plunging 30ft drops" it just so happens the vlift is 30ft
Then add to it the fact that for some reason all the videos are strangely cut or edited on approach to the lifthills

There is more I'm sure
Alex

Whilst it may happen, I would prefer if it didn't this coaster doesn't need a gimmick it's already good! Look at Nemmy there is no secret element and it is one of the best coasters!
RCandrew

On the Blue Peter website there is a short video on the ride, at the top of the vertical lift hill he says 'this is the big drop' the ride stops and falls back!!

Not really, he says that and then it drops FORWARD the normal way... :)
Phild94

Andzdrew wrote:
Ready_23 wrote: So what evidence indicates it?
The fins themselves dictate a drop tower,
Then there was the radio 4 interview that confirmed a "sudden drop"
Altons website says "plunging 30ft drops" it just so happens the vlift is 30ft
Then add to it the fact that for some reason all the videos are strangely cut or edited on approach to the lifthills

There is more I'm sure
Just want to point out a pretty major flaw in one of these suggestions.....

When the train cuts back as forth it is in the same position beneath the lift, not on the lift

That train would never come back past those pinch breaks after it drops...

Yes I agree that it's weird that all videos are cut in the same place but like people keep saying, who wants to watch 30seconds of a train not moving....

Also they never confirmed a sudden drop.... I think the quote was something like...

Reporter: So I hear you're working on a sudden drop for the new ride at alton towers
Interviewee: Yes I am working on The Smiler.....

I know it would be interesting but day after day I come back onto this topic and there's more and more about this v.drop with everyone repeating the same point....

If you are right then buy yourself a cookie and well done, but honestly most evidence points to this just being a FANTASTIC ride with no need for a gimmick :)

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
Alex

Just what I said glad someone agrees
bbooth2

in all honesty with all these test videos propping up surely someone would be able to confirm this "drop", it is not going to happen! weve seen it testing several times theres no indication of a drop... can we just drop this now :P
Lucieloo

Surely the reason the videos of it are cut, is because the riders are watching something on the screens above their heads just before the v lift? personally I agree that if you want to watch it go round, that would be just seeing it sitting there. Also maybe they want to keep what you watch a secret until you are on it..?
Just a thought..
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
Heisenberg96

I'd rather they'd video it the whole way round in that case. That way we can get a feel for what it's like when you're sitting at the bottom of that dreaded lift hill.

As I say though, another thing about the POV's is that nothing is shown past the carriage slowing down at the very end and we don't see any returning to the station. It's probably unlikely but...could there be something between the stop by the maintenance shed and the station? A kind of 'end of ride' treat? I don't know whether anyone can prove it goes straight back to the docking bay or anything but if nobody can, then surely it's possible?
Lucieloo

[quote="Heisenberg96"]
I'd rather they'd video it the whole way round in that case. That way we can get a feel for what it's like when you're sitting at the bottom of that dreaded lift hill.

I think thats the point though, they want some things kept secret. Its JW's last, if we all see it before it happens wheres the element of surprise?? Thats like not bothering the wrap a present really isn't it..?
Just think this time next month we will all know..
Last edited by Lucieloo on Thu May 16, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....