The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
sibic

might be better with hydraulics any park done a ride that tilts in the corners?
ry1996

^ I think they have actually, not with inversions though.
PeteMadden

Just an idea, but I'd love to see a ride with multiple tracks, say for example there were three carriages that each travelled down the same track. The track then split off into three sections and each carriage ventures down one of the tracks (each track is different) in a random order so you don't go on the same track each time.
Saying that, I don't know how possible or expensive it is.
ubagel

Anybody else get the feeling that the World First thing might just be something to throw enthusiasts off the scent?

So far as I can see, SW7 will be a world first Mobius Steel coaster. So, that's the world first sorted, though it is a bit dull. With a world first in the bag already, the novelty element can be a marketable re-hash/improvement of something already out there.

I think it'll be some sort of indoor trick. However, I'm not discounting the vertical launch still, as it doesn't have to a world first and that would be visually really nice opposite Oblivion.
PeteMadden

ubagel wrote: Anybody else get the feeling that the World First thing might just be something to throw enthusiasts off the scent?

So far as I can see, SW7 will be a world first Mobius Steel coaster. So, that's the world first sorted, though it is a bit dull. With a world first in the bag already, the novelty element can be a marketable re-hash/improvement of something already out there.

I think it'll be some sort of indoor trick. However, I'm not discounting the vertical launch still, as it doesn't have to a world first and that would be visually really nice opposite Oblivion.
Possibly, though I think that's far too dull to be a world's first for Alton Towers. I have a feeling SW7 is going to have an apocalyptic sort of theme to it, so something to fit around that would be nice.
BananaRoll

Bubbaride wrote: Right I had this idea for the worlds fist but I'm not sure if its piratical... but say like the cars were on a pivot, so they could tilt form side to side or forward and backwards or both? I'm not sure if this would add anything to the ride it was just an idea i had
Do you mean like Macks 'E-Motion' coaster? http://www.mack-rides.com/en/products/c ... -info.html

Also Winja's in Phantasialand cars tilt forwards/backwards or left/right depending on which track you pick.
The Moon

ubagel wrote: So far as I can see, SW7 will be a world first Mobius Steel coaster. So, that's the world first sorted, though it is a bit dull. With a world first in the bag already, the novelty element can be a marketable re-hash/improvement of something already out there.
Uh uh, http://www.rcdb.com/9013.htm  :D

Whatever the worlds first, it's happening in that building.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
Jay247uk

Having not really kept up to speed with this thread.

Does anyone think it could be similar to Takabisha at Fujiyoshida

http://www.rcdb.com/9795.htm
The Moon

^Well it is a Eurofighter sans signature drop. Which is like apple pie sans apple. So yes. It will be.

I hope to our lord Richard Dawkins (  ;) ) Alton use the lap bar 4 across cars like Iron Shark, the OTSR's are the only thing that puts me off Eurofighters. But definetly 4 across cars, for capacity and they look SO much better.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
dominoes

I know this seems like a stupid suggestion, but just a guess. Maybe on the way up one of the hills, it falls back again a bit, before continuing. Has this been done?
The Terminator

I'm still not convinced on this eurofighter business. Yes it's a gert and the tracks very similar but it's just not altons way to order a standard ride for a SW.
And the worlds first will be something big like all other SW.
I WILL be back
The Moon

It ain't standard though, is it? No beyond vertical drop, a non vertical and vertical lift, etc. This is Gersty finally doing what I want, vaccinating the Eurofighter of Vekoma syndrome. Multiple clones around the world which gains a reputation. For example, Kumali is excellent, rivals some B&M's. But, when I first saw it I though "oh s**t its a SLC". This is happening to the Eurofighter. If anyone can tell me they thought "yay, a Eurofighter" and not "bugger, another Saw or Rage" I will eat my hat. I really want this to be good, I want the Eurofighter to diversify and not fall victim to Vekoma syndrome.

Toke up...
The Terminator

The Moon wrote: It ain't standard though, is it? No beyond vertical drop, a non vertical and vertical lift, etc. This is Gersty finally doing what I want, vaccinating the Eurofighter of Vekoma syndrome. Multiple clones around the world which gains a reputation. For example, Kumali is excellent, rivals some B&M's. But, when I first saw it I though "oh s**t its a SLC". This is happening to the Eurofighter. If anyone can tell me they thought "yay, a Eurofighter" and not "bugger, another Saw or Rage" I will eat my hat. I really want this to be good, I want the Eurofighter to diversify and not fall victim to Vekoma syndrome.
I agree I want them to diversify as well and I think this will be the first of their new model, it may well be similar to a eurofighter but with new car types and called something different.
I just have a funny feeling that something big happens in that building but can't for the life of me think what it could be, the building is not that big and has so many anomalies It's not true.
I WILL be back
BananaRoll

The Moon wrote: It ain't standard though, is it? No beyond vertical drop, a non vertical and vertical lift, etc. This is Gersty finally doing what I want, vaccinating the Eurofighter of Vekoma syndrome. Multiple clones around the world which gains a reputation. For example, Kumali is excellent, rivals some B&M's. But, when I first saw it I though "oh s**t its a SLC". This is happening to the Eurofighter. If anyone can tell me they thought "yay, a Eurofighter" and not "bugger, another Saw or Rage" I will eat my hat. I really want this to be good, I want the Eurofighter to diversify and not fall victim to Vekoma syndrome.
I always think "yay, a Eurofighter"  :D - They're really fun, and tend to have excellent pacing. Plus, all 3 U.K. Eurofighters are different models, so their "clone syndrome" is nowhere near as bad as the Vekomas over here. Fluch Von Novgorod is the newest Eurofighter I've ridden, and shows a massive improvement in its' smoothness and layout from the likes of Speed and Saw. I'm willing to bet that SW7 will be one giant leap for Gerstlauer.
The Moon

I really have the feeling we will see a Thirteen style worlds first gimmick. Probably involving a small forceless drop, they seem to be into those these days, but this time... WE HAVE A LAYOUT!!! Which is more forceful and longer than squirrel nutty bolted to a frog hopper.  :shock:

Also, BananaRoll, that was my point. This concept may nip the Vekoma syndrome in the bud with the Eurofighter, which if this goes well could be one of my favourite ride types.
Last edited by The Moon on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toke up...
PeteMadden

BananaRoll wrote:
I always think "yay, a Eurofighter"  :D - They're really fun, and tend to have excellent pacing. Plus, all 3 U.K. Eurofighters are different models, so their "clone syndrome" is nowhere near as bad as the Vekomas over here. Fluch Von Novgorod is the newest Eurofighter I've ridden, and shows a massive improvement in its' smoothness and layout from the likes of Speed and Saw. I'm willing to bet that SW7 will be one giant leap for Gerstlauer.
It's going to have to be. It's not Alton Towers' style to create rides in an orderly, identical fashion.
The Terminator

The Moon wrote: I really have the feeling we will see a Thirteen style worlds first gimmick. Probably involving a small forceless drop, they seem to be into those these days, but this time... WE HAVE A LAYOUT!!! Which is more forceful and longer than squirrel nutty bolted to a frog hopper.  :shock:

Also, BananaRoll, that was my point. This concept may nip the Vekoma syndrome in the bud with the Eurofighter, which if this goes well could be one of my favourite ride types.
Thirteen doesn't have a gimmick, it's the whole point of the ride, Worlds first free drop.
The rest of the ride builds to this, it might be pants but that was due to over marketing and raising expectations to far, as a concept its excellent which is why it has been copied twice already.
I WILL be back
The Moon

But the others have layouts, something Alton seemingly forgot, and that is what makes me despise it. The atmosphere and execution is great, but it just isn't enough. But my point is, even if SW7 is a small element like Th1357824teen, it has a great set of elements to make up. And a giant steel spider.  ;)

Toke up...
The Terminator

The Moon wrote: But the others have layouts, something Alton seemingly forgot, and that is what makes me despise it. The atmosphere and execution is great, but it just isn't enough. But my point is, even if SW7 is a small element like Th1357824teen, it has a great set of elements to make up. And a giant steel spider.  ;)
I do agree with you but I'm sure I read somewhere that the idea was that it was suppose to pull you in to a sence of security, like 2 parts to the ride and it is a family coaster.
It was the marketing that went too over the top that ruined it, if thirteen had been marketed as an atmaspheric family ride people would not have felt let down.
Anyway like you say this won't be a problem on SW7.
I WILL be back
The Moon

It, unlike SW7, has no target audience. Too scary for young kids and not thrilling enough for teens and adults. It flopped in my eyes. But SW7 is thrill orientated and can be marketed as such.

Toke up...