The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
jclarke11

They were covering up the indoor heartline roll to hide that Alton were going for the inversion record, nothing else.
oj

Deadjack5 wrote: I still support the possibility of the Washing effect.

I recently remember the first construction pictures and I remember that there was on the pictures of the early pieces of track a box covering part of the ride which is the place for the possible washing effect.

Now if there wasn't going to be a washing effect than why cover up that bit?

Sorry if somebody has brought this same idea up before, I have the memory of a goldfish.

:lol:
I love the washing machine idea, however on the back of the krave box it said 'world's first 14 looping coaster', thus excluding any possibilities of an inverting secret element.
Last edited by oj on Mon May 06, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Smiler is Coming...
kingda dude

oj wrote: I love the washing machine idea, however on the back of the krave box it said 'world's first 14 looping coaster', thus excluding any possibilities of an inverting secret element.
Oh, hail the mighty Krave box, source of all roller coaster knowledge!

I would take that 'worlds first 14 looping roller coaster' as being the only worlds first with a pinch of salt. JW has stated that it will be world first and world beating, and he also discusses them as two separate things. The 14 inversions should be the world beating element, however the 'World first' could be anything from an indoor psychological chamber to reverse free-fall lift hills and <insert speculation here>.

The reason the krave box probably says that is due to either a printing error (meant to say 'world beating 14 inversion coaster') or was changed due to ATs request (supposed to announce real world first but was changed as it hasn't been officially released yet).
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"
clayj

TTF seems confident the world's first is 14 inversions...

Personally, i'd love to see the world beating strap line as most inversions (14) and worlds first being someething unexpected - insert speculation here
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
dazza4783

clayj wrote: TTF seems confident the world's first is 14 inversions...

Personally, i'd love to see the world beating strap line as most inversions (14) and worlds first being someething unexpected - insert speculation here
14 inversions is both World First AND World beating. Any other World First that the coaster has is probably not going to be a marketable one, World's first 3D mapping projection on a rollercoaster, or world first psychological effects on a rollercoaster isn't going to draw as many people in as World's first/World Beating 14 looping coaster. Maybe there is something more to it, maybe there isn't. I think people need to stop reading too far into things and start taking this coaster for what it is, an awesome looking coaster with great, unique theming, and interesting back story. This could already be one of the best coasters in the world without needing any extra unnecessary gimmicks. Start taking the coaster at face value, that way at least you won't be disappointed, and at best you may be pleasantly surprised.
undeadarmy

dazza4783 wrote:
clayj wrote: TTF seems confident the world's first is 14 inversions...

14 inversions is both World First AND World beating
Indeed. I don't think 14 could be beaten for quite a while, that's a real impressive number. I'm happy if the only WF is the 14 inversions, and even happier for Merlin to market it that way.

This is going to be a great ride, the only plausible idea I thought the SE could be was 4D effects on the trains, and I sort of knew that wasn't going to happen.
clayj

Have to agree with you Dazza... The coaster itself without any "world beating/first" strap line is immense !! IMO this features right at the top of my favorite coasters ever and thats without even riding it ! You can just tell my the way it is profiled it will beat the majority of the competition and again, that it based on what I think the ride experience will be like without taking the themeing into effect... Personally, i think, from what we know so far, the ride doesn't lean on themeing as heavily as the likes of Nemesis. The themeing is minimal, yet just as effective as blood rivers, monster station, near miss caverns etc.

Back to the origional point. World beating sells just aswell as worlds first... so maybes, for once, worlds first will sit in the background of world beating ???
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Krazycoaster

dazza4783 wrote: World's first 3D mapping projection on a rollercoaster
3D projection mapping wouldn't be...well, wouldn't be a world's first. Disney already using projection mapping on their rides so having projection mapping on the Smiler certainly doesn't make it a world first. I know it's on a rollercoaster but there's no difference between watching projection mapping sitting in a rollercoaster car and watching porjection mapping on another kind of ride. I admit, if we are getting projection mapping it's going to look awesome but no way should it be deserved to be called a 'world's first' when quite honestly, it has nothing to do with the rollercoaster itself.  :D
DeadJack5

Worlds first roller coaster to have 2/more worlds first records? ;3

Im not sure, popped into my head haha
Danny

Deadjack5 wrote: Worlds first roller coaster to have 2/more worlds first records? ;3

That would be very hard considering gatekeeper at cedar point is breaking 7 records :)
SwEDEN

danny.g97 wrote:
Deadjack5 wrote: Worlds first roller coaster to have 2/more worlds first records? ;3

That would be very hard considering gatekeeper at cedar point is breaking 7 records :)
O.O Please elaborate..... No really do....... O.O HOW COME I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOBODY TELLS ME ANYTHING :( *sits in a corner and cries*
undeadarmy

SwEDEN wrote:
danny.g97 wrote:

O.O Please elaborate..... No really do....... O.O HOW COME I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOBODY TELLS ME ANYTHING :( *sits in a corner and cries*
They're only records among WINGED COASTERS, which are fairly new. To be honest it pales in comparison to The Swarm, I think it's overhyped. Check the wikipedia page of it to find out more, but lets not take this convo any further, it's going off topic :).
sw7nutter

i think the question to ask is why are they hiding testing. What is wrong with the GP seeing a train go round a track?
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

sw7nutter wrote: i think the question to ask is why are they hiding testing. What is wrong with the GP seeing a train go round a track?
Because these will be some of the first tests, and so there could be problems, which they don't want the GP seeing. Eventually there will be testing when the park is open.
undeadarmy

sw7nutter wrote: i think the question to ask is why are they hiding testing. What is wrong with the GP seeing a train go round a track?
Well, in JW's autobiography, he said they tested the Vampire trains the night before, to see if it went round the track. After a unsuccessfull attempt they realised they forgot to put the dummies in. They preceded to do so and it went round fine. The next day or so the 'first' test went ahead to the public eye, but John had actually tested it the night before.

They maybe doing this right now, and we're only seeing photo's because of the added technology these days, so i'm guessing that's what they're doing, and if all goes to plan (god knows, they could've tested it already and something might not have worked, which I doubt, but is a possibility!) in the next few days we'll see a reveal broadcasted.

Probably what the 'Cake' people are doing there tonight.

Be patient people, we've seen the trains on the track... Have Your Cake and Eat It.

If you pardon the pun ;).
sw7nutter

undeadarmy wrote:
Well, in JW's autobiography, he said they tested the Vampire trains the night before, to see if it went round the track. After a unsuccessfull attempt they realised they forgot to put the dummies in. They preceded to do so and it went round fine. The next day or so the 'first' test went ahead to the public eye, but John had actually tested it the night before.
Im aware of the vampire and it not being able to make it round the track and it almost fails every morning but people were saying (guest services) that it would only be tested at night.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
Aidan Lowe

pehs over at TPR posted this pdf of the sun booking form, I hadn't had a look at date bands before but it's interesting to see 18th May as one of the bands under C. The possibility of an 18th opening seems ever more likely.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/arch ... 85988a.pdf

Formerly known under username Andy Mc
MatthewR1990

Mabalzich wrote: pehs over at TPR posted this pdf of the sun booking form, I hadn't had a look at date bands before but it's interesting to see 18th May as one of the bands under C. The possibility of an 18th opening seems ever more likely.

It could point to the 18th as the possible date I agree. But at the moment the only solid evidence we have is just 'May' I'd bet it definitely isn't before the 18th though.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
dazza4783

Mabalzich wrote: pehs over at TPR posted this pdf of the sun booking form, I hadn't had a look at date bands before but it's interesting to see 18th May as one of the bands under C. The possibility of an 18th opening seems ever more likely.

Yeh this has been mentioned before, the 18th is a possibility, especially if the press event is on the 17th. But i think as the date bands are about 3 weeks each, and they knew that The Smiler would definitely open in May, then C is the only date band that they could be sure that it would be opening in as it definitely wouldn't be open by 22nd April and probably not by 17th, but would be open by 7th June.
Last edited by dazza4783 on Mon May 06, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan Lowe

Well A and B both have * and states on the bottom (*) The Smiler won't be open on those bands, but isn't present on band C which starts 18th so they must of known roughly what date they were aiming for. Otherwise it'll be around the 25th <-- isn't that when kids break up.
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Mon May 06, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc