The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
themealgang

With regards to the rides manufacture, people are almost convinced now that it is Gerstlauer behind this attraction. However, I can't help but think that this "Saw" reference could just be used as an indicator that the ride will not have an issue with regards to noise. While the track style to me screams an X Car style coaster from Maurer Sohne, looking through CoasterForce some member pointed this out....

I have my hopes now that the manufacture is to be Intamin. SW7 does appear to include a vertical lift, and in 2008 Intamin did just that with Fahrenheit.

While the track style differs on this model, if we then go and take a look at some of Intamin's latest projects, the track style draws a remarkable similarities to that presented in the plans. Just take a look at I O5...

Obviously, we are not getting something as large as I O5, but I still feel that Intamin could be worth considering based upon their recent track design and vertical lift that they have installed in 2008.

Just putting it out there!  :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Blaze

Good shout, actually. I totally forgot Intamin's new style track. But the lift supports are nothing like Farenheight, and the supports seem to be round, not square, and don't appear to be Intamin style.

Thirteen was compared to a Vekoma, so it's possible I suppose, I haven't seen Gerstlauer specifically mentioned yet (still looking around bit by bit), but everyone seems pretty certain, and the shaping and elements are pure Gerstlauer, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
Dormiens-Dave

From the application...
3.1 Noise from the planned new coaster was modelled based on a similar one located at
Thorpe Park. The Thorpe Park ride, “Saw” is the same type and manufacturer as the
proposed ride
It isn't comparing the two rides, its stating they are the same manufacturer and type it seems.
muttlee

Blaze wrote: Good shout, actually. I totally forgot Intamin's new style track. But the lift supports are nothing like Farenheight, and the supports seem to be round, not square, and don't appear to be Intamin style.

Thirteen was compared to a Vekoma, so it's possible I suppose, I haven't seen Gerstlauer specifically mentioned yet (still looking around bit by bit), but everyone seems pretty certain, and the shaping and elements are pure Gerstlauer, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
This info has been taken from looking at the "noise reprt", point 3.1 which states Saw is "the same type and manufacturer as the proposed ride"
Tom G

If this constant speculation over the manufacturer is trolling, good job on your success! If it isn't, take a look at the plans in detail like any true obsessive would :lol:

This cannot be anything else but Gerstlauer (today is the first time I've learned to spell that from memory).
Blaze

In that case it's settled. :P

Hadn't seen that bit yet. :oops:

Any idea whether we'll see any more information regarding the station layout etc?
Coasteraddict

Blaze wrote: Good shout, actually. I totally forgot Intamin's new style track. But the lift supports are nothing like Farenheight, and the supports seem to be round, not square, and don't appear to be Intamin style.

on the bold bit, Intamin has also recently changed to square supports as seen on skyrush:

However I still don't think that's enough proof as the rest of the supports look round. However we can't really read too much into this as i doubt they rendered the supports exactly. I think it's best to not hope for Intamin, so if we do get Intamin it's bonus, but if not we're prepared and expectations don't skyrocket. You can't read into the comment on the plans, things change/mistakes happen!
BigAl

But could it be perhaps that the same steal company makes the track and the track looks similar. I've heard that either Mack's mega track or Zierer's eurofighter style track is made by the same company who makes Intamin's track which is why they look similar (if not the same). I have no idea if this is true or not but if it is then perhaps they are referencing the same track style and how it deals with noise.

I'll stick with Gerstlauer for now as that is what is stated in the planning documents after all.

I would like to think it was an Intamin with the new track style demonstrated there on Intimidator 305 but, really, as long as this ride ticks all the boxes and remains smooth and reliable over the next few decades then I'm not really fussed who makes it. :)
Morgano

Blaze wrote: In that case it's settled. :P

Hadn't seen that bit yet. :oops:

Any idea whether we'll see any more information regarding the station layout etc?
Somewhere in the documentation it mentions that more is to be submitted in relation to themeing and the station. Not sure if that means soon or after approval of the building. I'd imagine that would be before approval... I hope!!!
Johno

[Insert restrained post here about why speculation of the ride type and manufacturer is totally pointless based on the fact that its already been detailed in the planning application as being the same manufacturer, and TYPE of ride as SAW. Note that if this was found to be untrue, and the ride was only a likeness, then the application could be considered nul and void on the basis that they held back truths from the planning committee, and therefore any permission granted would have been under false pretence]
Blaze

Coasteraddict wrote:

on the bold bit, Intamin has also recently changed to square supports as seen on skyrush
The lack of square supports on this is why I said it might not be Intamin.

Also, we know it's going to be Gerstlauer. I just hadn't read the noise assesment part of the plan at the time. :P

I too would imagine before. Like what happened with N:S-V
BigAl

Johno wrote: [Insert restrained post here about why speculation of the ride type and manufacturer is totally pointless based on the fact that its already been detailed in the planning application as being the same manufacturer, and TYPE of ride as SAW. Note that if this was found to be untrue, and the ride was only a likeness, then the application could be considered nul and void on the basis that they held back truths from the planning committee, and therefore any permission granted would have been under false pretence]
Blame wishful thinking.
Johno

BigAl wrote:
Johno wrote: [Insert restrained post here about why speculation of the ride type and manufacturer is totally pointless based on the fact that its already been detailed in the planning application as being the same manufacturer, and TYPE of ride as SAW. Note that if this was found to be untrue, and the ride was only a likeness, then the application could be considered nul and void on the basis that they held back truths from the planning committee, and therefore any permission granted would have been under false pretence]
Blame wishful thinking.
:lol: Attempting to add a bit of humour to the scenario.

Also, it does state somewhere in the plans that they will come back as to the specific details of the other buildings etc.

They have to, as believe it or not, thats what the planning is for! In fact, I can't believe they've even bothered to put details of their new coaster in this plan, they've done it purely for reasons of transparency and accuracy, as to what the buildings are being used for.

Theoretically, they could have just applied for permission for the buildings and associated groundworks, and then built the coaster separately as its under permission from the GDO.
BigAl

Aaaaanywaaaaay! :P

I'm worried that this ride is going to look a little cramped. It's one of the only tiny niggles that I have with this newly proposed roller coaster.

The bottom picture is what made me wonder:
http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... 37851).PDF
Tom G

I'm still holding out hope this will be made of wood.
Tom G

BigAl wrote:
Blame wishful thinking.
No, it's absolute stupidity, trolling and/or spamming.
BigAl

I made one point that it could be the same track style though as I've heard that some coaster companies use the same manufacturers for actually making the track. It was more of an inquiry really. I'm sorry if it was wrong of me to ask.
Tom G

BigAl wrote: I made one point that it could be the same track style though as I've heard that some coaster companies use the same manufacturers for actually making the track. It was more of an inquiry really. I'm sorry if it was wrong of me to ask.
Sorry, I wasn't referring to you with the trolling/spam comment and also stupidity was a bit harsh towards you but look at some of the other posts by many users and you'll see what I mean...
BigAl

No problem! As I'd already said, I'm sticking with Gerstlauer for the time being. :)
muttlee

BigAl wrote: I made one point that it could be the same track style though as I've heard that some coaster companies use the same manufacturers for actually making the track. It was more of an inquiry really. I'm sorry if it was wrong of me to ask.
I'm not sure about the track you mentioned, but I know this happened in the past with Giovanola using B&M track for their coasters (I was lucky enough to ride Anaconda, their only inverted coaster). Apparently Giovanola (now G Tec) built all the european track for B&M, while the American track was built at an American facility.

Anaconda...
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... conda1.jpg
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... conda2.jpg