The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
undeadarmy

nick67862 wrote: What happened to that piece of track mentioned in the 12th of February update?
http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7/construction/
I think that's like the break run... or something. Or was it the break section after the bunny hop?

Or am I getting confused in general? I dunno.

Don't listen to anything I just said.
TheSmiler1998

I know :drunk: it would be great to have more than the inversions but think of it this way: think back to 2002 when Colosus opened. Did the public want more than an awesome rollercoaster? The public weren't really fussed because they didn't know any better and to be honest we shouldn't be either because the worlds firsts have been good but the ride would stil have been good without the, (minus blivvy obviously as she's just a world first on wheels!)
I guess what I'm trying to say is either way you look at it we have finally been presented with something that could possibly topple King Nemmy off of her lofty perch and put her back win peasants such as Air and Bilvvy!  :D ;)
Let's raise a glass/bottle and toast the great engineering feat that is the Smiler!  :drunk: :drunk:
PS: the Smiler will probably here the words arise Sir Smiler king of rollercoaster land!  :clap:  :D
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
deeve

The point to look at is Alton Towers has got the finest collection of coasters in Europe. There are some great coasters in other parks but they are not part of a great collection of thrill rides. Each of Alton Towers coasters offers something different. I was realy critical about Thirteen but its all part of the experiences when you travel round the park. This will be one of those rides that you say to people you need to ride it to realy get the feel of the whole attraction. Oblivion,Spinball and Rita you can get the general idea of the ride by watching it. Thirteen,Air and The Smiler are rides that you need to participate in. There will be some surprises left for riders hence the potential for very long waits.
DaveBear

Yeah that brings me to my point i have made a few times....

Number of Inversions is just a Number......

The most important thing is the lay out and type of Inversions and the Smiler has a nice mix of Inversions that are not repetitive or lazy....  The other bonus, well the Track is not very long not for how many Inversions there is and your getting like 1 Inversion every 84M but in addition to that while the track is long, its in a small area of space and that means this adds to the Thrill and Intensity of the Ride.

Its as i said before Montu has 4 more inversions than Nemesis higher drops, its faster, but Nemesis is stuck on a tight track and this really makes it the more Thrilling of the Two.

The Smiler for just its Track Layout is going to be one Awesome Ride its going to give you the most thrilling aspects of Kraken and Hulk, but with more inversions and in a tight space its going to be like ridding those two rides Intense areas with no let up and breaks, the only real time on The Smiler where your not being thrown about and upside down is on the Lift Hills.
DrReeve

Liam-AltonTowers wrote: The Inoculator is such a terrible name, I doubt they'd use the word 'the' before any Alton Towers major coaster - it just doesn't make it seem as in iconic and SW7 looks to be the most iconic roller coaster at Alton Towers ever.
in hindsight i ROFL
Image credit to Lewis97
Fragga

Been out of the country the last 2 weeks and came back to see all the construction and now pov videos, also a shame to hear about the opening delay but these things happen.

My big question is what happened to the 'secret element' on the ride?? I've watched full pov vids now and it seems all inversions are based on the track, not some unique special one off element I.e the rotating tunnel inversion thing that was suggested.
Chrazycat

I'm just wondering, and I've not really looked at the previous pages so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this recently, but a while back there was a bit of news that the 'marmalising chair' had been removed from 'The Smiler' hotel rooms at the AT hotel, and people thought that that may have something to do with one of the secret elements, and now that people are speculating whether or not there is more to this coaster, I didn't know if this was of any importance? I think that 'The Smiler' is going to be an awesome ride even if there wasn't any other elements to it but all may not be as it seems...
A smile a day keeps Dr. Kelman away...
http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7images/9.gif
DaveBear

'marmalising chair'  :?

Maybe more to it or not...... Anyway not a Worlds First, some Hotels have had  'marmalising beds' for years lol :twisted:
Alex

I've heard from a source on the park today that the technical problem was to do with the fins and a freefall drop, this picture shows more
Spoiler
Oblividoom

Oooh, now I see, it's also the World's first rollercoaster to have MULTIPLE opening dates. Cool. Clever. Secret ;)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
brick60000

I really do apologise if this has been brought up in the past few pages, but I couldn't see a picture/link to this so thought I would post.  When browsing The Smiler game, it say's higest drop 30m (pointing at the v. lift hill).  So perhaps this could be hinting to a backwards drop.  Please correct me if I am wrong, as I haven't seen The Smiler in person this year, but the drop after the v. lift hill doesn't look like a 30 metre drop.  Could this mean the length of the drop is 30m, or that there is indeed a reverse freefall section? 
Heisenberg96

brick60000 wrote: I really do apologise if this has been brought up in the past few pages, but I couldn't see a picture/link to this so thought I would post.  When browsing The Smiler game, it say's higest drop 30m (pointing at the v. lift hill).  So perhaps this could be hinting to a backwards drop.  Please correct me if I am wrong, as I haven't seen The Smiler in person this year, but the drop after the v. lift hill doesn't look like a 30 metre drop.  Could this mean the length of the drop is 30m, or that there is indeed a reverse freefall section?
The 30m is actually referring to the vertical lift...so if its possible you could be right as the lift isn't really a drop.
brick60000

Heisenberg96 wrote:
brick60000 wrote: I really do apologise if this has been brought up in the past few pages, but I couldn't see a picture/link to this so thought I would post.  When browsing The Smiler game, it say's higest drop 30m (pointing at the v. lift hill).  So perhaps this could be hinting to a backwards drop.  Please correct me if I am wrong, as I haven't seen The Smiler in person this year, but the drop after the v. lift hill doesn't look like a 30 metre drop.  Could this mean the length of the drop is 30m, or that there is indeed a reverse freefall section?
The 30m is actually referring to the vertical lift...so if its possible you could be right as the lift isn't really a drop.
Exactly what I thought, although it will be fantastic roller coaster anyway! (so long as they test it properly and it doesn't valley when I am on it  :lol: )
thorpetowersfan14

I know this is a bit off topic but there's some coincidence about the magic factory and the smiler watch it and you will know what i mean...
brick60000

thorpetowersfan14 wrote: I know this is a bit off topic but there's some coincidence about the magic factory and the smiler watch it and you will know what i mean...
As in 'The Alton Towers Magic Factory'?
Astro61201

With the smiler I am wondering if 53173 is going to be correct after all, but could we see a sort of pre marmalisation process similar to subterras, you are sat in seats in 4 rows of 4 then you put these glasses on that show a video of hypnotic swirls with back jabbers and the sanctuary music, the you go in to a short area where there are more hypnotic swirls then into the station. Or after the indoor section you sit at the bottom of the first lift hill with a giant hypnotic swirl rotating slowly in front of you, with all flashing strobes and voices. then the hypnotic swirl moves out the way and you continue the ride
cant wait!, cant wait!, cant wait! :uk:
NemesisDave

i know we have seen The Inoculator spraying water at the track but does anyone know if this will be at the ride cars or just before you get there to make it look like your going to get sprayed?  well im sure we will find out all loose ends tomorrow (IF IT OPENS)
DaveBear

I would say that the aim is to distract the Rider, and thus the Marmaliser is not just props hanging from the Marmaliser Legs to give that head chopper factor.

If your going around a thrill ride, your mind is going to be on the ride so much for most people that well they may not fully notice the Marmaliser Elements being just props as your fly past at 53MPH.....

However if as you go under them, you get sprayed with Water, and a Smoke/Mist that may have a funny smell, well these things will distract your mind away from the track for a short period of time.

Again i would say that the Trains and Marmaliser Elements are more than meets the eye and contain some of the Secret Elements... But only time will tell.