The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
DaveBear

hambletwins wrote: just bringing up a question that may have been brought up before but I have never heard it yet. does anyone know what they are going to do baggage hold wise? They may do it the th13teen /sub terra way but I dont know where that would be. they have no cages in the station anyway
lol good point as there is no way you could keep your belongings safe on this ride lol, Feel sorry for anyone who wears Wigs as your gonna kiss them bye bye...
lewis97
Admin
Admin

DaveBear wrote:
hambletwins wrote: just bringing up a question that may have been brought up before but I have never heard it yet. does anyone know what they are going to do baggage hold wise? They may do it the th13teen /sub terra way but I dont know where that would be. they have no cages in the station anyway
lol good point as there is no way you could keep your belongings safe on this ride lol, Feel sorry for anyone who wears Wigs as your gonna kiss them bye bye...
It could be that there's a kiosk before you go up the the stairs, which you will then also go past on your way out, and this could be suggested to be part of your preparation.
TheOutpatient

DaveBear wrote: lol good point as there is no way you could keep your belongings safe on this ride lol, Feel sorry for anyone who wears Wigs as your gonna kiss them bye bye...
Hey that is a good point! So also you want to:
-Remove your beanie any other hat (e.g. boater, top, Australian)
-Get a chord for your glasses if you want to see the ride/be able to drive home!

And I guess from the baggage hold - I gues that would acount for 6 square meters or so inside the ride building.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
DaveBear

lewis97 wrote:
DaveBear wrote:
It could be that there's a kiosk before you go up the the stairs, which you will then also go past on your way out, and this could be suggested to be part of your preparation.
Maybe it will have the Harry Potter Ride Style Lockers before the last part if que....

Yep most of the fun of that ride was trying to find where your locker was when you got off as it was like a maze of lockers lol.
KevBales

Just thinking about the idea of smells on the ride... one of The Smiler teddy bears on sale at the moment (not sure which ones think it might be the yellow bears) smell like strawberries. I thought this was odd in the shop the other day when someone said it, but it does say so on the tag and indeed does smell like strawberry. Could this be a link to the giggler? As a smell like that going round the track would make you smile but also go huh? Just a thought maybe!
"If they open the vault they're meddling with things they don't understand... they should just leave the vault alone..."
Phild94

NINJAwarrior360 wrote: Will we see a longer version of the advert?
I would love to see a "proper" post watershed creepy as anything advert.... but i've got to say most AT adverts are usually 30 seconds long for the full advert :)

KevBales wrote: Just thinking about the idea of smells on the ride... one of The Smiler teddy bears on sale at the moment (not sure which ones think it might be the yellow bears) smell like strawberries. I thought this was odd in the shop the other day when someone said it, but it does say so on the tag and indeed does smell like strawberry. Could this be a link to the giggler? As a smell like that going round the track would make you smile but also go huh? Just a thought maybe!
I think this would be a great idea.... only problem is that once you become accustomed to the smell in the queue line it probably wont be as effective upon riding :/

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
bealyboy

KevBales wrote: Just thinking about the idea of smells on the ride... one of The Smiler teddy bears on sale at the moment (not sure which ones think it might be the yellow bears) smell like strawberries. I thought this was odd in the shop the other day when someone said it, but it does say so on the tag and indeed does smell like strawberry. Could this be a link to the giggler? As a smell like that going round the track would make you smile but also go huh? Just a thought maybe!
I think this would be a great idea.... only problem is that once you become accustomed to the smell in the queue line it probably wont be as effective upon riding :/
[/quote]
And in the ad there's that purple stuff he inhales... Giggler
SMILE.ALWAYS
Liam B

it wont be purple I'm almost certain. to actually make it effective in the mist you would need to put in a lot of dye and then that would end up staining peoples clothes and people could be allergic to dye so health n safety would say no so I don't think it will be purple :)
Ripsaw Raver

what about some bright LED light to make the mist a different colour would that be possible
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
schmatt

Ripsaw Raver wrote: what about some bright LED light to make the mist a different colour would that be possible
Would defiantly work in the dark, however i'm unsure if it would work during the day sadly.
brick60000

Hi there,

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but to those dismissing the idea of the freefall backwards drop, wasn't there a post on this forum about a member of the Alton Towers staff saying something like the 'correct' secret aspect had been around on the forum for a while, and that it had something to do with those fins?  Correct me if I am imagining this, but I am sure I read it somewhere.

Brick60000  :D
Phild94

brick60000 wrote: Hi there,

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but to those dismissing the idea of the freefall backwards drop, wasn't there a post on this forum about a member of the Alton Towers staff saying something like the 'correct' secret aspect had been around on the forum for a while, and that it had something to do with those fins?  Correct me if I am imagining this, but I am sure I read it somewhere.

There was a rumor a few months ago saying this could be worlds first 14 inversion coaster....

There is no other secret element it is just 14 inversions, and if anyone wants to bring up the media release saying the "second worlds first blah blah" that has since been 'corrected' and now states about the single worlds first with an apology from AT saying it was badly worded :)

If i'm wrong then come thursday i will give out forum cookies of awesomeness to all who remained true to this idea but if not then i shall just be happy to rest and say i told you so, along with the rest of this forum XD

Not really a rant directed at you .... kind of an ongoing thing if you read through the 50 pages of fin related nonsense :D XD

40 Hrs 38 Minutes

:moj

#getcorrected

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
JayJay90

Phild94 wrote:

40 Hrs 38 Minutes

:moj

#getcorrected
seeing every post of yours with a countdown makes me all the more excited :D :D :D

John has pretty much confirmed it himself... this is the worlds first 14 looping coaster... didnt he say if they needed to add special effects and gimmicks theyd have failed or something to that effect (on this particular coaster that is)
dazza4783

brick60000 wrote: Hi there,

I'm pretty sure that was just somebody trolling, trying to make us think that someone who works at the park had said that there was more to the vertical lift than meets the eye. "What goes up must come down  ;)" is the phrase they used, i think. It won't happen though. Just be happy with what we have got, stop thinking about any other secret elements, you will only end up being disappointed when they don't happen.

Just been going through some old AT videos on YouTube and found one of Duel: Live from 2009, I know it's a completely different theme but is there a possibility of the queue line almost being a "tour" of the new facilities by a Ministry of Joy official, similar to that in Duel: Live, and the you are told at the end that you are a new advocate for "more experimental methods", just  an idea  :)

Less than 2 Days............
Accidental whovian, sorry
jamesc

Just spotted this advert at the bus stop, on my way home from work.

Could be a good sponsor for The Smiler!

http://theforgeuk.com/wp-content/upload ... 80x285.jpg

http://payload82.cargocollective.com/1/ ... als_01.jpg
Last edited by jamesc on Tue May 21, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!
DaveBear

Well you know Wardley did say it has ....A NUMBER.... of Worlds Firsts and ONE IN PARTICULAR NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE!

Sorry for Shouting  8)

I dont think he would say such a thing, for purely a 14 loop coaster, and his early interviews after the release of Th13teen he emphasized that after Nemesis each SW had a Worlds First and that these was all unique and thats the uniqueness with the SW brand, and not simply setting records like Worlds Highest, Worlds most Loops etc...

So i think there could be more to it, but then again thats not to say that what ever other Elements may end up being things that we may have hyped up to be really special when they may not be so, WORLDS FIRST WASHING MACHINE, WORLDS FIRST REVERSE FREE FALL  May all sound really great and Amazing but they are just examples of expecting far to much, and i think any added elements would be more Subtle.

Then again there could be nothing more to it, in which case wile it may gone against hints dropped by Wardley.. and not as revolutionary as the last 3 SW... we still have  great Coaster on our hands.

So i think at the very least its the little tiny attentions to detail and theme and build up etc that may add to the experience, but then again not a Worlds First as even Sub Tera has this....

I would still think that the Marmaliser has more to it than is let on, and will give us some minor 4D elements that will make us laugh and distract us from the intensity of the track lay out.  Maybe also there could be things that have been done before but just used in a different way.

who knows only 2 days to go!

Oh but anyway on the other hand....... Nemesis was  the First Actual SW Coaster even though it was the 3rd in its name.... And it was not a Worlds First, it was only a Europe's First and thus not as revolutionary as the SW4,5, and 6....

But even so as a ride it still is the most Thrilling ride at Alton Towers and Intense and one of the best in the UK even after nearly 20 years..... so whats to say that SW7 is the same, in that it simply is going to give the Worlds Highest Inversions and Intense experience that while may be beaten, for the time being it would be a World First in that department and will in many years still be one of the Worlds Most Intense rides out there.
Last edited by DaveBear on Tue May 21, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleOh7

I was just going to put a post on seeing if people thought we may be missing the bigger picture and that there is more to the ride than we officially know....

Not that I am ungrateful for one minute - a 14 looping rollercoaster is fantastic but although world beating its not really worlds first. World first to me means a whole new concept in ride design not just a world first achieved by quantity,  Oblivion is the perfect example  - a complete worlds first rather than 'yes ours gos upside down a few more times than any other in the world' - that to me ISNT alton towers style and so thats whats got me clinging onto the fact there is something more.......

After all - Wardley did say himself in one of his interviews theres no point in building coasters that for example just go upside down more than any others (or words to that effect)

thoughts?
DaveBear

This is same point i made before, and if its the same interview he did say that those kinds of things set records and that once that record gets beaten over and over you dont get remembered for that record.

So i guess the point is that at some point when a record is broken you dont get remembered for it, like Dragon Khan  (which is good ride) no sooner as more and more roller coasters come out and say after Smiler we get 2 new ones one with 15 then a 16 Inversions one, no one will remember Dragon Khan for setting a 8 Loop World Record.

But with say Oblivion or in particular Air, the ride will always be remembered for being the first of its kind, even though there are more Faster, Taller, more Extreame Flying Coasters than Air (Manta for Example) Air will always be remembered as the FIRST!

Another interesting point Wardley made was about the use of Gimmicks on the Ride that do not enhance or have any real effect on the experience of the ride. He is not a fan of those.

So yes maybe people like me and you are reading into those two much and thinking that a record number of loops and themed Props on a Themed Spider Marmaliser that will give Head Chopper Near Misses, seems to conflict that Interview?

PS Must add, i need to Ride Dragon Khan again, as i never enjoyed it before and thats my Fault...... NEXT TIME USE SUN CREAM lol.... Yep going on a Ride with bad back sunburn is no Fun  :cry:
nick67862

What happened to that piece of track mentioned in the 12th of February update?
http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7/construction/