The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
CoasterCrazyChris

The world first element is obviously going to be another gimmick.

But it won't really matter because this time, unlike Thirteen, the rest of the ride will actually be good.

:)
DomB

Big Dave wrote: Probably something indoors. Its hard to market it as a first coaster to duel with itself, vertical launch as been done, so I assume its something else within the building.
I imagine if they wanted to market as the first self-dueling coaster, they'd find a way.

I just don't think there's enough room in the building for anything 'world's first' to happen, or anything at all really.
Blaze

If it continues to get faster as it goes up hill, it's a vertical launch. Doesn't matter where it starts accelerating.
caetaylor

Don't think this has been mentioned yet, nor do I know how feasible it would be given the elements on the coaster, but how about the first Euro-Fighter with backwards cars?  Possible contrast with Oblivion with you falling downwards face first to being dragged up vertically whilst still facing the ground.  Probably very unlikely but I thought I'd throw it into the open.
Satch

Has there been a 4d eurofighter before?
Blaze

Stand-up Eurofighter.

Someone had to.
DomB

Floorless Euro-fighter?
.Will

Blaze wrote: Stand-up Eurofighter.

Someone had to.
Just can't help yourself can you, just want to add some fuel to the fire.

:P
scubahood

I've got it! The worlds first Alton Towers.... actually wait the worlds first Merlin Coaster that lasts more than 45 seconds!
AstroDan

Let's try and keep the discussions half sensible :p

We are just joking about the ridiculous, now.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Javs

I would imagine the world first will be something like 'Worlds first multi vector rollercoaster'.  Something like that which exploits a number of near misses and launches.  Other than that, an IP or something we have not seen yet, I have no idea!
Big Dave

The track is made from toughed glass making it the worlds first see-through coaster
Satch

AstroDan wrote: Let's try and keep the discussions half sensible :p

We are just joking about the ridiculous, now.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Would you believe me if I said some of the research had occurred at Phantasialand? It's the ball coaster!
bradpeet

fredward wrote:There may very well be a worlds first part inside... But DO NOT get your hopes up, you WILL set yourself up for dissapointment.

the worlds first element will be the most obvious option, Th13teen for example, intial theory itll drop you... Gut reaction, obvious option... But wild ideas of tilting flipping, 3D screens ext. Set everyone up for dissapointment.
That is a very good point.

After the way that Th13teen was over hyped, and as fredward says considering the things that could have been done to improve the "World's First" element, I'm also staying totally open minded until the thing opens.

I have no reason to believe that Alton Towers are unhappy with Th13teen, so why would they change their philosophy now?
Dingerbell

Could it be a "World's First" AT Secret Weapon with no "World's First" element?

However, knowing AT, this is CLEARLY not a option...

Fine "World's OR European First" :oops:
Last edited by Dingerbell on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dave

Wouldn't be the first time they have done that ;p

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
pluk

Big Dave wrote:

Although the launch starts at the lift base, it continues the launch up the vertical section thus making it a vertical launched coaster.
The launch does not start at the lift base, it starts looong before it. It is launched horizontally. It ain't a vertical launch!!! Many many launch coasters go into a vertical immediately after the launch, what makes this any different to those other than some fins on the tower?
Infact, knowing the problems the ride had before opening, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were added to counter poor design and give it a boost to stop it vallying/rolling back, rather than being a deliberate design feature.

A coaster, launched vertically, would be a legitimate and exciting worlds first as far as I am concerned. Certainly no 'for the sake of it' gimmick and a truly unique experience.

Will SW7 launch vertically though? I have no idea, but personally I really think it could, because:

- It does not appear to dip immediately after the crest of the hill, instead going into a gentle slope. If this is traditional Eurofighter trains I think that would be really slow and just odd. It looks like it needs to carry some unnatural speed to keep a good pace, which of course a launch would provide.

- The very long straight before the vertical lift suggests a need for some space in the event of a rollback, a chain link lift can not roll back - this straight bit of track would not be required.

- The long straight before the vertical hill could be for a launch at that point, but the transition from horizontal to vertical looks to be too sharp to me be safe / comfortable at speed.
Total Unique Ridecount
Nightfall

Technically Wicked does launch vertically. It doesn't launch from a standstill but it does launch while travelling vertically...

...However when has that ever stopped Alton from claiming a World's First? Air was not the first flying coaster but it was the first of its kind. Oblivion is not truly vertical. Its close and claiming it's not is just being petty but it didn't stop Busch from advertising SheiKra as the first true vertical drop.
As far as I see it the “world’s first vertical launch from a standstill” is a valid claim. It’ll be different and very interesting. I’m not sure though if they will do this or not.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Big Dave

I was about to say! I think you need to check the ride before you claim Im wrong pluk. Wicked DOES launch vertically. I claimed that it launched at the lift base before the vertical climb, which is correct. The launch system continues to launch the train up the vertical section, thus making it a vertical launched coaster. Yes it doesnt start from vertical, but its still launches you upwards!

It would be near impossible to forward a train onto the vertical section using wheels at a low speed, lock brakes around it holding it still and then release the brakes and start the launch within such a small space of time that it becomes a true vertical launch. They will near enough always have to pick up speed on a flat section first, which is what exactly Wicked does.

If this is a vertical launch, Im fairly certain (especially given the large flat run up to the vertical section), that this will too incorporate a braking section followed by a launch before the vertical section.
Last edited by Big Dave on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightfall

Big Dave wrote:It would be near impossible to forward a train onto the vertical section using wheels at a low speed, lock brakes around it holding it still and then release the brakes and start the launch within such a small space of time that it becomes a true vertical launch. They will near enough always have to pick up speed on a flat section first, which is what exactly Wicked does.
That is assuming they have to use LSM.  What about a catch cart like an Intiman hydraulic launch? The ride moves up the tower, rolls back onto a catch cart, stops, then the catch cart launches the ride up the tower. It'd be hard to do but probably not impossible.
[align=center]Image[/align]