Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
stealthsmiler

I would like to see Air and SW8 break away from FV. To me, the Nemesis theme would be too stretched by incorperating SW8 into it. Also giving SW8 its own theme would lead to too much of a theme mismatch in the area and would ruin the atmosphere over there.

However Im sure AT will think of some sort of tenuous link. it can always be a poorly themed escape from FV coaster...
Adam.W

Probably not going to happen, as is a rather uneducated guess, but. They split FV and build the woodie near air, and retheme air a whole load, maybe even repaint the track. That could give 2 smaller areas, one themed rustic and nemesis, the other themed to some kind of research thing against the nemesis monster or something, and less rustic. Air could be made some kind of test machine or something, but I don't know at the moment. Just an idea ;)
3Dimensions

That sounds like an awesome idea, maybe make one land steampunk (Nemesis) and the other cybergoth (Air), be awesome to see Air in black and green (but of course the wooden ride would fit the steampunk theme much more).

Seeming as Merlin seems to be hooked to theming and IPs it will be awesome to see what they come up with. Maybe incorporate another brand and have a Dungeons esque scare maze at the end (similar to the old Bedlam section at the Tooley St Dungeon). I haven't done Sub Terra yet so I can't compare to that.

But most importantly, I would like to see them try to make an incredible ride track than have another world's first, innovation or record breaker. As John Wardley has said before, there's no point building the world's tallest or fastest rollercoaster as some park could easily beat it (just look at Blackpool). A wooden coaster would be awesome, maybe one with an intense terrain/out and back twister layout. Or an Aqua Trax would be immense (although that links somewhat to innovations again). This honestly looks like one of the most fun coasters ever " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
bensaund

I seriously can not see any changes to Air or Nemesis, Alton are not going to spend tons re-theming them, all the money will be spent on SW8 and we may see a paint job on Air/Nemesis like we saw on Oblivion.

It is nice to have ideas and want big changes, I just seriously can not see anything happening to Nemesis/Air
pleaty

It would seem that from digging through the Screening Opinion document that pre-application advice has already taken place in preparation for a full detailed planning application,so I imagine we should expect some more detail pretty soon, unless there are significant objections from the planning department.
Adam.W

Well, I'm sure AT are aware that air sticks out, so they might make an effort to retheme it, along with SW8 so freshen it up a bit. It would also make sense as SW8 is obviously going to be themed
MerlinFan

Wow that Aqua Trax ride looks like brilliant fun! Something like that would be amazing. But why has a theme park in South Korea got a Disney castle?
seanyboyuk

i think if they do put a woodie near fv i think they could continue the theme of the chained oak theme for hex and like stated in other posts some type of tree forming out of the ground? im sure AT would put the effort in to paint the coaster a dark/rotting wood colour to help with this type of theme?
Tom

People have been speculating about the possibility of Alton Towers getting an Aquatrax for as long as I've been involved in the community. The only logical place for one to go in my opinion would be the flume site, even then I don't think it's a likely proposition.

We've pretty much had it confirmed from the Screening Opinion that this will be located in Forbidden Valley and that at least the structural portion of the coaster will be made of wood. Obviously this is all subject to planning, nothing is set in stone yet.
TheBeast

I guess they could play around with it a bit, although if it is not a woodie I will eat my hat, although then someone will have to lend me a hat
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Dom

A woodie with OTSR is probably likely too :lol

It will be interesting to see what happens with this and i hope that they do eventually get planning permission. But we shall just have to wait and see.
Georgie

If a small launch coaster with no inversions is given OTSRs, I wouldn't be surprised if they had 'em here too.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Aidan Lowe

Strange goings on at the car parks, think its a bit out of the area covered by SW8 but all I think about now is hades 360. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Danny

Andy Mc wrote:Strange goings on at the car parks, think its a bit out of the area covered by SW8 but all I think about now is hades 360. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Probably new street lighting they are looking to add for Scarefest and Fireworks :sus:

But if it's anything to do with SW8, this coaster looks to be huge, but then again woodies can cover huge amounts of space.. hmm..
Tom

Please no OTSR's.
CJH

Rita had OTSR due to issues with Intamin lap bars at the time.
I hope Towers see that an RMC could be a world beater. Iv heard Hades 360 isn't a great coaster tbh, heard its quite rough now.
MakoMania

Is the maximum height of the coaster outlined in the screening opinion the height above Forbidden Valley ground level or ground level at any given point if you see what I mean?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Ladyofthelake

No exact measurements are given, however, the screening option does state that there will be 3 high points, with the tallest (high point A) being visible through the existing tree cover, but lower than the highest part of Nemesis. I guess the exact height will depend of if they dig down as part of the construction.
LiamJDouse

Screamscape are reporting a rumour that it will be a launched wooden coaster, but without any involvement from RMC. Unfortunately, no sources are cited.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/alton_towers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aidan Lowe

Most likely GG and their launched version and timberliner trains, interesting rumor, would of preferred RMC. Hate the idea of them going for another world first again, having a launch on a wooden coaster is lame.

Kinda makes sense as Smiler wasn't considered next in line and was pushed forward because original plans for SW7 weren't doable afaik, so I'm guessing the prototype from GG wasn't up to scratch and therefore we are now getting this, a launched woodie which should of been SW7 now as SW8.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc