Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Ryan.B

I've just thought of the most unlikely thing, if it goes into the valley, with near 200ft drops it could be the fastest wooden coaster in the world, and with launches being avalible on wooden coasters, an average 200 ft drop is around 70mph, and a launch of around 80, it could be the fastest coaster in the world, it will never happen, but that is the only way to get the fastest coaster record, will most likely never be made, but technically, it could be the fastest. The only records apart from fastest and tallest (which is impossible, even with the valley) are longest, which would cost a lot more, and steepest, which could be done as well as inversions. They do usually have a worlds first, and with wooden coasters, there is not much more that can be done... Or they could build a world class ride with no gimmicks. Nemesis wasn't exactly gimmicky, it was an improbable on the original batman.
JammyBand

I doubt, even with the fantastic technological advancements in wooden coasters in recent years, that a wooden coaster (or wooden supported coaster) would be able to comfortably deal with the stress of a 150mph+ ride? It's a great theory, and would be amazing, but I think that there is still a long way to go in terms of coaster development before that would be possibly in an absolutely safe and comfortable manner. :D :)
Fishfingerish

Slightly off topic, but yesterday was the second time I've been told that nemesis is going to be removed in 2017 - this time by a friend who is friends with a designer for the Towers. Normally I'd doubt these things but he's not a member of the forum or Towers nut, yet seemed to know most things we know about SW8 (location, build etc)
bensaund

Never gonna happen. might as well close down the Towers if they are going to do that.
Ryan.B

Yeah I know, but it would be the only way Alton could get the speed record, a steel coaster would work, but then planning would mean it would most likely not be allowed, if it ever did happen, it would have potential for the best coaster in the world, but in realism, I reckon this will be an rmc , with a few new elements. Trust me, nemesis will not be removed, where is his proof. His friend is 99% not friends with any designer, and even if he was, he probably wouldn't be friends if they let that slip out, especially on here. If you have no proof, most on here won't believe you, you will always need proof.. P.S- what does he know about SW8, if you tell us that we might believe you ;)
allijukes19

In my opinion I think it is going to be a RMC coaster that will probably break the record of the steepest wooden coaster in the world, I hope it is a full wooden coaster and not an Iron-horse so its classed as a woodie. Also it will be good if the drop is almost 200 feet. It will also be good for Alton Towers to get an airtime filled coaster, it would be even better if it had banked turns with airtime like outlaw run!
JammyBand

Yeah, personally I would LOVE to see a ride like Outlaw Run as the new ride. It would be absolutely totally unique to the UK and to a lot of Europe, so it would be a experience you could only get at Alton Towers (unless you can fork out the cash to go the US of course! haha)
Ryan.B

I reckon it could possibly have two separate tracks, they could market it as britains first duelling coaster (sorry I'll be forgetting something :lol) and market it as something like pick your side! Britains first two track duelling coaster! As they could get away with it because grand national is a one track coaster, a möbius loop so if you picked your side it could be a UK first!
Max

Ryan.B wrote:they could market it as britains first duelling coaster
A certain Blackpool coaster comes to mind. :lol
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Ryan.B

Möbius loop, technically they could market separate coasters as the first duelling coaster, which was the point of them building 2 ;)
TowersManiac0110

I remember that i went there a while back, and overheard a few people who seemed to look staff talk about a hybrid coaster. I was heading down to the woodland walk (going back to the hotel) when that happened. Maybe this is more stuff to sw8? Or another merlin park?
NemesisRider

TowersManiac0110 wrote:I remember that i went there a while back, and overheard a few people who seemed to look staff talk about a hybrid coaster. I was heading down to the woodland walk (going back to the hotel) when that happened. Maybe this is more stuff to sw8? Or another merlin park?
If any Merlin park is getting a woodie any time soon, it's probably Alton Towers. If anything, it's because John Wardley, who has always pushed for a woodie to be built, is most heavily involved in Alton Towers compared to other parks (except Chessington and they have too many restrictions to build coasters). To add to this, it's been long speculated Alton Towers could get a woodie, even before RMC came into the equation.
mark_h

A duelling coaster would only really be viable if they need the double capacity that it brings over a single track coaster, otherwise it would just add to the cost of construction (or reduce the ride length).
Ryan.B

I know, but they are possibly easier to market, and has double the capacity.,if they are the same track like twisted colossus you could go round each track. Doubt it will be one but it would be good
mark_h

The Merlin marketing department will be able to find a gimmick "World's First" no matter what the ride is.
3Dimensions

A duelling coaster would probably go against a lot of H&S regulations, especially as items could be thrown between cars.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Provided the coasters don't enter each other's safety envelopes then there's no real issue from a H&S point of view. Items being thrown from any rollercoaster is a potential hazard, but ultimately loose articles shouldn't be taken onboard anyway.
NemesisRider

They do have to be very cautious of them though Lewis, on the Top Gun stall on Twisted Colossus there is a net to protect the bottom train from falling items.
Ryan.B

If this coaster crosses over itself at any point where another train does, I'd imagine they'd put netting up, but then again they don't have netting on the Staffordshire knot on the smiler.
MakoMania

Ryan.B wrote:If this coaster crosses over itself at any point where another train does, I'd imagine they'd put netting up, but then again they don't have netting on the Staffordshire knot on the smiler.
To be honest I think if something was going to fall out it would've fallen out by then
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]