Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Rob
Admin
Admin

The mystery is what keeps me interested. Take Blackpool for instance, now that i know what the ride is I've pretty much not been following anything more about it.
MakoMania

I have :sus:

I prefer to know what's coming :)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Hookman

Ok so I have been reading these posts and the ones from as far back as when Oblivion was being built! I am 44 years old and have ridden most of the major coasters in the world. This is my first post on here.

I think we are all missing the point! There has to be a special element to this ride! It may not be the area or even the wooden structure. Something has to be 'new'. It just cant be a wooden coaster with a very small layout and maybe a giant Wicker Man. There has to be a new special element.
Dan

Hookman wrote:Ok so I have been reading these posts and the ones from as far back as when Oblivion was being built! I am 44 years old and have ridden most of the major coasters in the world. This is my first post on here.

I think we are all missing the point! There has to be a special element to this ride! It may not be the area or even the wooden structure. Something has to be 'new'. It just cant be a wooden coaster with a very small layout and maybe a giant Wicker Man. There has to be a new special element.
Firstly welcome to the forum!

Wity regards to the "special element" it's been rumoured to be a launch given the technology used on the lift hill.

This would give Alton the "Worlds First Launched Wooden Coaster" and the USP Merlin crave.

EDIT: Europe's First :sus:
Last edited by Dan on Thu May 18, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MakoMania

Dan wrote: This would give Alton the "Worlds First Launched Wooden Coaster" and the USP Merlin crave.
Visit dollywood.com :)

It would give them a Europe's first, not a world's first.
Dan

MakoMania wrote:
Dan wrote: This would give Alton the "Worlds First Launched Wooden Coaster" and the USP Merlin crave.

Because I totally didn't forget about Lightning Rod :sus:
Owen

Dan wrote:
MakoMania wrote:

Because I totally didn't forget about Lightning Rod :sus:
It's understandable, it's so outdated! Where's the VR?! :roll:
Burniel

Owen wrote:
Dan wrote: Because I totally didn't forget about Lightning Rod :sus:
It's understandable, it's so outdated! Where's the VR?! :roll:
No thanks, Lighting Rod has enough downtime as it is! ;)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
dazza4783

I'd say there is a good chance they will claim it as a World's First claiming Lightning Rod to be a hybrid due to all the steel used on it's track and supports, even though it is considered to be a wooden coaster. SW8 will be all wood apart from the steel strips the wheels run on which is on all wooden coasters. Bare in mind that Galactica was a "World First", even though it wasn't even Europe's first VR coaster.
ewoodier82

dazza4783 wrote:I'd say there is a good chance they will claim it as a World's First due to all the steel used on Lightning Rod's track and supports. SW8 will be all wood apart from the steel strips the wheels run on which is on all wooden coasters. Bare in mind that Galactica was a "World First", even though it wasn't even Europe's first VR coaster.
How did they get away with calling Galactica a world first? Sorry if this is a bit off topic

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Owen

Long story short, it's because it used headphones as well as a headset, and due to how it has a headset attached to each seat.

Edit - With SW8 I doubt they'll go for worlds first, it's not really necessary. If the ride as a genuine USP it'll be heavily marketed no matter what it is!
Last edited by Owen on Thu May 18, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladyofthelake

ewoodier82 wrote:
dazza4783 wrote:I'd say there is a good chance they will claim it as a World's First due to all the steel used on Lightning Rod's track and supports. SW8 will be all wood apart from the steel strips the wheels run on which is on all wooden coasters. Bare in mind that Galactica was a "World First", even though it wasn't even Europe's first VR coaster.
How did they get away with calling Galactica a world first? Sorry if this is a bit off topic

Galactica was marketed as 'The World's first rollercoaster fully dedicated to virtual reality', meaning every seat on the coaster had a VR headset. In the other rides which operated VR in Europe VR was only available on certain rows (typically either the front of back 3 or 4 rows) with the VR being an optional paid extra whilst the rest of the train was the regular ride experience.

I do think that in this case we won't see a world's first marketed for SW8. They current marketing is describing the ride as 'groundbreaking' which suggests that although there will be a signature element so to speak, this won't be the first of its kind. Don't forget that Nemesis was only a European first, but the marketing for that centred around the back story rather than any unique element.
dazza4783

Ladyofthelake wrote:
ewoodier82 wrote:

Galactica was marketed as 'The World's first rollercoaster fully dedicated to virtual reality', meaning every seat on the coaster had a VR headset. In the other rides which operated VR in Europe VR was only available on certain rows (typically either the front of back 3 or 4 rows) with the VR being an optional paid extra whilst the rest of the train was the regular ride experience.

I do think that in this case we won't see a world's first marketed for SW8. They current marketing is describing the ride as 'groundbreaking' which suggests that although there will be a signature element so to speak, this won't be the first of its kind. Don't forget that Nemesis was only a European first, but the marketing for that centred around the back story rather than any unique element.
But the literal definition of groundbreaking is innovative or pioneering, that would definitely suggest something new or first of it's kind.
Ladyofthelake

At this point we simply cannot say for sure if the Resort are using the term 'groundbreaking' in the sense of something new, or in the literal sense as something which will go under as well as over ground. Don't forget as well that if they are using the term to refer to it being something new it could simply be a case of the ride being 'groundbreaking' for the Resort. One thing is for sure - the early marketing is already doing its job by getting us to discuss it in this way and trying to figure out what it could be.
dazza4783

Ladyofthelake wrote:At this point we simply cannot say for sure if the Resort are using the term 'groundbreaking' in the sense of something new, or in the literal sense as something which will go under as well as over ground. Don't forget as well that if they are using the term to refer to it being something new it could simply be a case of the ride being 'groundbreaking' for the Resort. One thing is for sure - the early marketing is already doing its job by getting us to discuss it in this way and trying to figure out what it could be.
Yeh, I guess it is groundbreaking as in being the first time they have had a wooden coaster, especially given how long enthusiasts have been wanting them to get one. But there are already many wooden coasters in the UK so the fact that it is wood will probably be seen as old-hat by the GP, not groundbreaking. Obviously the magnetic lift is needed given how loud normal wooden coaster lifts are and the problem they have from the neighbours with noise from the park, but I can't see them not utilising it as a launch to get the USP.
MakoMania

If they claimed world's first launched wooden coaster they'd have some serious beef with RMC :P
Robert.W

I mean, talking of Nemesis and it's marketing of its back story, perhaps "groundbreaking" is something to to with the back story of the ride rather than meaning something new.

Hookman

Just a thought but something that could be done. Instead of a regular accelerated launch, could the launch be random with the train going backward and forwards a few times up and down the first 'lift' hill before shooting forward? This would be very easy to do with magnets
Burniel

Hookman wrote:Just a thought but something that could be done. Instead of a regular accelerated launch, could the launch be random with the train going backward and forwards a few times up and down the first 'lift' hill before shooting forward? This would be very easy to do with magnets
I mean, it could be done, but there's nothing particularly exciting about the hill, so it would be a bit weird and unnecessary to be honest. It would also decrease throughputs.

By no stretch of the imagination is it confirmed that we're getting a proper launch anyway.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
lkav1983

Hi guys I follow this page but never comment as I don't know half as much as you lot. If I remember correctly I think someone mentioned that the the wicker man theme could breath fire or water. Probably sounds crazy as the last thing towers needs is for the ride to go up in flames. Anyway it got me thanking that what if the words "groundbreaking" meant that the ride/track broke and dropped, only like a meter or something before shooting off round the rest of the track. Just a thought but probably too difficult to do.