Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Justin

Even though these are promotional images, I am confident we will still get a decent end result. I am still expecting a similar effect, perhaps without so much of the lingering fog, similar to that pictured in the second photo above, posted by Jack.
TheBeornen

Those pictures look amazing and I personally think it's gonna look even better in person with it towering over you as you enter the queue.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Dan

WOW. That’s all I really have to say about the photos. Yes, they may have been edited to enhance the image but it doesn’t take anything away from how good the Wicker Man structure actually is. I’m really looking forward to seeing the whole thing finished and running, with all the effects working.

I know it’s been said already but it’s going to look even more incredible at Scarefest & Fireworks.
Dom

Those images are quite pretty promotional images. Its a shame that it won't actually look like that with the whole fog thing, but I think it will still be quite an Instagramable ride.
Loakin

It's worth noting that Towers are currently running a survey on their website to see how well Wickerman has been promoted and to what we think of it so far. It could show that the teasers and promotions are kind of over, and we are in the final stretch to the opening. Obviously it could also be how the market it when the advert is released.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

We’ve uploaded the full resolution images to the SW8 minisite (scroll right to the bottom of the linked page), for anyone who may be interested.

It does appear that they’ve actually themed the ORP camera if you zoom in on this photo:

Dom

Where? Can I have a clue? Or is it sarcasm?
Owen

Apparently the fog machines and some of the lighting was added for the images, so we should expect less lighting and fog :)
Dan

Owen wrote:Apparently the fog machines and some of the lighting was added for the images, so we should expect less lighting and fog :)
That’s quite normal for promotional images, remember the amount of lighting The Smiler had when those images were released?

I still believe that the Wicker Man will look brilliant, regardless of any external fog or lighting machines that have been used. Hopefully the fire effect will generate some smoke so it may not be too dissimilar, especially in the dark.
Bert

Dom wrote:Where? Can I have a clue? Or is it sarcasm?
If you look at the ORP camera, It looks all rusty and out of date, Which is character development for The Beornen, Which shows that they are are a bit out of touch with modern society.

The detail is so subtle but I love it!

Also in that photo we can see that they have planted the trees around the ride, So once the trees start to grow it will feel like the ride is going through the woods! 

Yet another layer of detail in the ride!
[Insert Signature Here]
Owen

Dan wrote:
That’s quite normal for promotional images, remember the amount of lighting The Smiler had when those images were released
Yes I know, my point was just to say that on opening we shouldn’t expect the fog over the track etc, or so much lighting!
TheBeornen

Even without the fog, it'll still look amazing and that turn looks so smooth.

Be Chosen...
Robert.W

I'd imagine that level of fog would make catching the on ride photos a bit difficult, as well as possible safety issues with the lack of visibility. During the day the lights and fog probably wouldn't be as effective as they are during dusk, so not having those effects isn't really much of a loss. :)

TheBeornen

They might have smoke at the points where you enter the structure like the smoke going into the hole on Oblivion.

Be Chosen...
MakoMania

So when are people expecting that the opening day will be announced?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Dan

MakoMania wrote:So when are people expecting that the opening day will be announced?
I would expect some time in the next week or so. If it is to open on opening day, they can’t leave it too much longer to announce it or they risk people not being able to arrange plans to visit.
Loakin

Alton Towers tweeted out this gif which shows the structure at day and night with effects on. As assumed there is no fog on the final effects, however I do like the bunting in the foreground of the shot.
And with the half term event almost over, the focus is starting to move back to Wickerman.
Justin

The GIF does look good. I still believe there will be an element of smoke though. I think until we can see all the effects working in real life, it is hard to tell what the overall appearance will be. One thing is for sure, we have a visually stunning coaster with what is hopefully a great storyline!
MakoMania

Loakin wrote:And with the half term event almost over, the focus is starting to move back to Wickerman.
Half term is only just beginning for most schools :P
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Loakin wrote:I do like the bunting in the foreground of the shot.
Had a quick check to see what characters the two runes represent - it's W and M :P