Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Robert.W

saw-x-smile wrote:I hope they have some sort of incenses in the shop that make it smell wood like. I feel like that could be awesome, and we have been seeing a use of incenses in Thorpe. It would help bring the shop to life in all senses.
That would be a really awesome effect to have! It would definitely help them create their "multi-sensory" experience that they have been advertising. :)

Nutty Man

I think it would be great if they used a 'burnt wood' kind of smell... or maybe like a smoke kind of smell.
I think it would also be good if they had they shop quite dim, and maybe had a kind of fire effect going on behind some of the walls, if anyone understands what I'm saying. :lol
I'm just fantasising here, but I hope they do do something good with the shop!
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
Justin

It would be good if they could incorporate smells into the shop and the ride itself. It would add to the experience, as it does with Hex.
Chigaia

Uttox83 wrote:Hi all, I have been a observer for a number of years and have finally joined up to join the conversation.
I saw a really good video on YouTube that someone put together a creation of their take on how the Wickerman will run. The part I found really good was their take on what will happen at the end. All the tunnels suggest a hidden element and in the maintence shed they had the room setting on fire!
Spoiler
(similar to the mummy effects at Universal Studios)
Hope they do go down this line as it would be great and would make sense with the “infusing wood and fire” comments AT made.
Hmm. There's a problem with bringing a group of people into a confined space and simulating burning them. I swear there was something. Some historical event that people might take issue with or think this is trying to replicate....
PhNx Survivor

Not gonna lie.. that made me laugh.. I'm sorry.

If anything I think a similar ending to Mystic Timbers will be what we receive.. however even if there is nothing, it's still a good experience that AT was in need of.

Since news is slow now.. what's the likelihood we'll be seeing the TV Advert end of Feb/beginning of March? I personally think we'll see it end of Feb as the half term is right around the corner.. or just after the half term period.

Thoughts?
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Justin

I think we will see something soon. The newspapers are beginning to advertise their free ticket offers now, so I expect an advert will be released as soon as its opening is confirmed.
Owen

The TV ad normally doesn’t get released until a day or two before opening :)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

A limited edition 'Wicker Man Premium Photography Box' has been added to Towers' online store. There are 250 available, at a price of £80 each (no AP discount is available) which includes:
  • 8 x 6 limited edition Wicker Man ride photo
  • 3D photo frame
  • USB stick
  • Keyring
  • Magnet
  • Pin badge
  • Numbered wooden block
  • Lanyard
  • Card certificate
  • Numbered certificate
  • Presentation box
jackf1tz

I mean, it sounds really cool and all, but £80? That's enough money to... (etc. etc.)
Dan

Not sure what I think of this.

Yeah it’s a nice idea but I don’t think it’s anywhere near worth the £80. One thing that does intrigue me is the wooden block. Is it going to be a similar size to the SW8 offcuts that were on sale towards the end last season, or something smaller?

The lack of Annual Pass discount may also put people off. Despite that, I do think it will sell out, rather quickly too.
Robert.W

Dan wrote:The lack of Annual Pass discount may also put people off. Despite that, I do think it will sell out, rather quickly too.
Yeah, as of right now, there are only 235 left in stock, so the price hasn't put some die hard fans off of buying it! :)

Dom

I'm not shy about my hatred about AT merchandise and how crap it has been, and yet again I'm not a fan of this, mainly due the shocking price tag attached. That being said, the wood and this rip off are in some respects good news for Wicker Man related merchandise. It kind of comes across that they are at least trying to expand on the usual range they do and trying to think outside of the box for merchandise. So credit where credit is due, they are trying. They just need to sort their pricing out as even for Towers its so expensive. 
Justin

It is a nice idea but the price is just too much!
I'm only really interested in the piece of wood, so I can't justify the £80 price tag attached, especially with no discount.
theparklifekid

I'm more intrigued about what the pin badge looks like! :lol
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I imagine they'd probably see an increase in sales if they showed what some/all of the included merchandise looked like (assuming it looked good). Would have perhaps been a good opportunity to reveal some of the Wicker Man merchandise lines alongside launching this product, although perhaps that could still happen...
Dom

All the items in the box are also limited edition and will only be available in the box. They will not be sold separately in the shops. This is according to an email that someone in the Merlin VIP FB Group received back. They did provide a screenshot but I currently haven’t worked out how to get image URL’s from FB on my mobile :lol
Uttox83

Chigaia wrote:
Uttox83 wrote:Hi all, I have been a observer for a number of years and have finally joined up to join the conversation.  
I saw a really good video on YouTube that someone put together a creation of their take on how the Wickerman will run. The part I found really good was their take on what will happen at the end. All the tunnels suggest a hidden element and in the maintence shed they had the room setting on fire!
Spoiler
Hope they do go down this line as it would be great and would make sense with the “infusing wood and fire” comments AT made.
Hmm. There's a problem with bringing a group of people into a confined space and simulating burning them. I swear there was something. Some historical event that people might take issue with or think this is trying to replicate....
The simulation had fire besides the track and around the ceiling.. It was only brief so i doubt it would cause too much alarm or panic from riders. Will be interesting to see if there are any hidden post ride effects. I think they are planning something as the ride itself is hardly thrilling enough on its own. Then again, the mine train is always packed... 
JC13

Uttox83 wrote:
Chigaia wrote:
Spoiler
The simulation had fire besides the track and around the ceiling.. It was only brief so i doubt it would cause too much alarm or panic from riders. Will be interesting to see if there are any hidden post ride effects. I think they are planning something as the ride itself is hardly thrilling enough on its own. Then again, the mine train is always packed... 
What ride was this?
Uttox83

JC13 wrote:What ride was this?
This was the planet coaster simulation of the creators take on what the Wickerman could run / look like. It is an impressive creation IMO. Hopefully we get something like this in the finished version from Towers. 

[youtube]BcSvpyS0Uao[/youtube]
PhNx Survivor

As cool as that simulation is.. we have to remember it is a recreation, and someone's hopes for the ride. (Even though the ride layout is already seeable so why make a different layout I have no idea..).

Where I do hope we will have something like that ending, (not as bright obviously, pitch black..), we also have to consider the possibility that nothing could be in there.. This sort of video does not help with hype, as if you go on expecting something similar then nothing happens, you'll be disappointed with the ride.

Even if the shed has nothing the ride will have a thrill side to it.. unless you don't think going through the structure 3 times for good headchoppers isn't thrilling enough? :roll:
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”