Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dan

rolicoli8 wrote:I just realised the new video is called "our new thrill attraction", which is completely branding it wrongly as a thrill ride instead of family.
Perhaps they’re referring to the overall experience of the attraction, rather than just the coaster layout.

While we know that the ride itself will be family-thrill, with the special effects that we anticipate to be incorporated into the experience, I wouldn’t be surprised if Alton Towers class Wicker Man as a thrill ride.
Brett

There is a photo of the artist signing some posters on the article by the look of it, thats what I want!!! As for the ride not looking intimidating, I dont think that’s the case at all. I think the Wicker Man itself will intimidate to a massive level.

Edit: Alton Towers have just released another video based around the safety of riders and how a lot of the “fire” will actually be an illusion created by special effects.

[youtube]t8ula_AfFQI[/youtube]
Last edited by Dan on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed video link
8byfire

This video hints subtly at there being 'some' real fire too- "do not come into contact with the fire at any time, most of what will appear to be real fire..." - most not all - and theme parks have found ways of having safe 'real' fire using gas even at very high temperatures such as Universal's 'Brain Fire' effect- what fire effects have these previous wooden coasters specifically had? Could it be as I've suggested with my Valhalla thinking that Wicker Man does indeed push the fire effects further than previous coasters, thus meaning Merlin can just about get away with their 'world's first' claim. It may be more impressive than previous fiery coasters perhaps?

Welcoming the wicker man, awaken
Beornen, burning, be chosen
lewis97
Admin
Admin

8byfire wrote:What fire effects have these previous wooden coasters specifically had? Could it be as I've suggested with my Valhalla thinking that Wicker Man does indeed push the fire effects further than previous coasters, thus meaning Merlin can just about get away with their 'world's first' claim. It may be more impressive than previous fiery coasters perhaps?
Yes, I do think this is what they're trying to get at with the world's first line, as obviously this isn't the first wooden rollercoaster to use fire in some form, and I imagine they're fully aware of that - they did go and ride Wodan for product research. In Wicker Man's case, fire (whether real or not) is clearly integral to the whole ride experience rather than a minor feature.

Really Merlin's world first claims are just their way of summarising their attractions' USPs in a concise and marketing-friendly sort of way - remove the words "world's first" from their claims and you have a stripped-back description of whatever's being marketed. That's not to say it isn't a bit of a tenuous world first, which is open to misinterpretation, especially when compared to things like "world's first vertical drop rollercoaster" or "world's first 14 looping rollercoaster" which are arguably pushing the boundaries of the industry in a much clearer way. However, if "world's first rollercoaster experience fusing wood and fire" is the only thing someone hears about the ride, they should have a reasonable idea of what the gist of Wicker Man is.

Ultimately, these sort of marketing lines aren't going to be fact-checked, and other parks aren't going to take legal action over their subjective interpretations.
Joe.hxlmxs

ignoring everything he says in this video and just listening to the background sound really sounds as if they're testing the ride whilst recording it? 

If you listen carefully, you can really here the rumble of a woody, followed by the chattering of the anti-rollback? 

either that or its just a jackhammer and lorry's.
Owen

I expect it’d be a jackhammer. I did think it could have been testing but then supposedly this is going to use the silent lift tech, so I’m not sure if we would hear the anti-rollback. :-k
Nutty Man

I wonder if they'll create another game for wicker man. It could be good (for once) maybe you get chased by the wicker man. It could be like temple run. :)

Edit: the galactica game is already like that.
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
Justin

Adz wrote:They would be stupid not to sell posters of the artwork, at minimum I think we’ll see the prints like they’ve done with the other attractions in recent years.

Obviously concept art is heavily embellished, but I think we have a good shot at the fire from the top of the structure being very impressive. I suspect tunnel effects will be lighting based as it’s too close to the track to use real flames.
Must agree, a print would be epic.

With regards to any effects in the tunnel, I would expect a mist and water effect to be used. It would be an outstanding feature if they made the tunnel appear to be on fire, internally.
Wagstaff04

The safety video is really what we needed to calm down the GP. It stops them blabbering on about how the statue will catch fire. 
Colinweir

Justin wrote:
With regards to any effects in the tunnel, I would expect a mist and water effect to be used. It would be an outstanding feature if they made the tunnel appear to be on fire, internally.
Maybe they would have some effects to make it look like the outside is on fire before going in!
Last edited by Justin on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
Wagstaff04

Yeah, maybe. They could also have some radiators out of sight and some lighting inside the tunnel. 
ewoodier82

We might also see real fire inside the structure further away from the track, as I'm not sure that the wicker effect on the wickerman itself is actually made of wood.
Dan

ewoodier82 wrote:We might also see real fire inside the structure further away from the track, as I'm not sure that the wicker effect on the wickerman itself is actually made of wood.
This was discussed a couple of pages ago. This post by Lewis pretty much sums it up:
lewis97 wrote:
While I believe you're right about the head and tops of the shoulders being made of metal, I don't think there's any wood in the theming structure, with the main body instead being made up of timber-themed cladding, as produced by Universal Rocks.
Wagstaff04

Real fire would make the ride that much better and add a huge sense of realism to the whole thing. 
PhNx Survivor

I am sure that the structure will have fire from the top section, as this is the furthest point away from the riders, hence the concept artwork that is animated.. I believe the rest of the structure will most likely be rising smoke/mist and special effects to give the illusion of fire.. I'd expect the fire effect to activate before the train interacts with the structure.. this would startle a lot of riders and be unexpected to the head chopper that they are approaching..

A BBC article, along with The Sun, have claimed that a ride video of it testing will appear sometime soon, however this is the BBC and The Sun.. so take it with a pinch of salt :lol
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Owen

They did put up a video of The Smiler testing so I wouldn’t be surprised!
RobHand

While watching the video, it stuck out to me when mentioned “what appears to be a real fire, but is actually special effects”.

I saw mentioned in a comment above that smoke and mist particles could be used inside the theming structure (where the rider enters) to give off a burning effect, but I can’t be the only one who thinks that that would look a bit naff. Especially if Alton are going to advertise is as the “world's first rollercoaster experience fusing wood and fire" and even on the posters the whole thing is up in flames, not smoke. I would expect they would want it to look as good as it can. Am I going too far into my own imagination that they could be using some special effects like this -

I’m not sure how this would work with the layout inside the theming structure, but it looks so realistic, and imagine the fear of going through the riders head as they approach. But with no harm to riders, as it is just special effects

Like I said I could be way off, but i though i’d throw my 2 pence in.
Froboi

@Robhand

Hit the nail on the head there fella. Was thinking exactly the same thing with the flame effects. Think they will use these in the tunnels hopefully a sound system too.. Roaring flames effect??

Before entering the Wicker Man, I think flames will block the tunnel and disappear just before the train enters, revealing the head chopper element. This would be highly thrilling.

Hopefully they have planted enough trees and shrubs to bulk up the area. All of this mixed in with the Rockwork, the fire and smoke and the actual ride itself. We are in for something visually stunning. Let's just hope they maintain it well.
Aidan Lowe

Funny you posted that Rob as I was watching that same video yesterday morning. 

I was thinking back to the aerial images and the large rectangular object in the theming structures shoulder which could be one of these systems. The only problem with these is they use lighting and surely the environment for optimal effect would have to be quite dark, therefore I think they'd look naff in daylight.

I do think the effects used in the structure are being overly exaggerated where he says burst into flames as you pass through it, I do think it'll be bare minimal effects used and it'll only happen on the top-tier pass through (his chest). I hope I'm wrong.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Owen

I would anticipate the real fire would burst from the shoulders :)