Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Georgie

I'm looking at the plans too.. Is that a non-cattle-pen queue in a new UK Merlin ride? Am I dreaming?
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
archie.mm

Pretty much confirmed woodie now. Finally. :clap:

Plans show F&B units and a game stand.

It integrates with the old Flume Station well as it states it wont be removed.

It seems to have a wooden theme going with either Mutiny Bay or Katanga Canyon (I dont know) :lol
Mostly because it states:
Roof - Thatched effect roof tiles.
Upper Section of walls - Aged and
weathered effect horizontal timber
cladding.
Lower sections of walls - Grass and
Earth effect bunding.
Lower section of walls - Sandstone
effect wall bunding.

This is very important. Notice magnetic silent lift system and the rides it compares to are Kentucky Rumbler at Beech Bend Park in Kentucky, the Wildcat located at Hershey’s Park, Pennsylvania and the Ozark Wildcat, located at Celebration City.
The proposed attraction will be a timber roller coaster that will be located towards the north of
the Alton Towers Resort site. Specifically, the proposed ride will be located to the south east of the Sea Life Centre and to the south west of Katanga Canyon. The proposed attraction will be located
upon the current site of the Log Flume attraction, with the Log Flume attraction being removed.
1.3. Reference sound measurement data has been provided by the ride manufacturer, which was taken from similar rollercoaster constructions located in the USA. These are the Kentucky Rumbler at
Beech Bend Park in Kentucky, the Wildcat located at Hershey’s Park, Pennsylvania and the Ozark Wildcat, located at Celebration City. Other related reference data has also been used.
1.4. The roller coaster structure will be formed from timber elements, predominately made up of
Southern Yellow Pine. The rails will be formed from a combination of timber and steel. The build-up will comprise six timber strips fixed on top of one another, with a solid steel rail guider fixed on the top
of the strips. The coaster will have steel wheels that will be guided by the steel and timber
construction.
1.5. The coaster will have a ‘silent’ magnetic lift system that will guide the coaster to the first and highest drop. This will ensure that lift mechanism noise as the carriage travels to its highest elevation
point will not be a concern.
1.6. Low noise magnetic brake systems will also be utilised to minimise the effects of noise from the coaster.
1.7. It is understood that construction programme will commence in September 2016 with
completion anticipated for December 2017.

1.8. This assessment considers the potential noise impacts from the proposed development to off Resort receivers, from both construction and operational activities.
MakoMania

It is a GCI, it says noise information has been taken from the ride manufacturer, and then compares the ride to Ozark Wildcat, Kentucky Rumbler and Wildcat which are all GCI wooden coasters.

Nobody on Towersstreet has even noticed yet, #TTSPvictory

Sound suspiciously like a launch to me, even though it isn't specifically mentioned.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
ThemeCrafter264

Em. Somebody, definitely not me, just posted it there. :D
MakoMania

ThemeParkCrafter wrote:Em. Somebody, definitely not me, just posted it there. :D
You dissapoint me, I was going to see how long it would last :lol
Vladimir Bobinski

I see other people have also mentioned the feasibility it would be a RMC. I would be extremely happy if it was a RMC Hybrid, bridging the old and modern worlds in such a wonderful way.

In terms of the closest thing to it, purely for the LSM launch feature, it would have to be Dollywood, Lightning Rod.

Edit:

What's really grabbing my attention is the amount of sheer landscaping that is involved here, filling in the existing lake, there is a lot of new plantation going on, it will take some time to really grow out an look good, but something to improve over time. Also I am also shocked at the queue route plans, no cattle pen, a scenic walk through theming and around most the ride, seriously?
MakoMania

I'm quite excited now since it's practically confirmed to be a GCI wooden coaster, I love these rides!
Cobby

Part of me hopes that it is not a GCI because I've only ever ridden one of their coasters are it was absolutely horrible and rough. That being said the only GCI that I've been on was Gwazi which was notorious for being rough and, from what I have read on the internet, most of newer GCI's are smoother so I guess I'll have to wait to find out.
NemesisRider

Cobby wrote:Part of me hopes that it is not a GCI because I've only ever ridden one of their coasters are it was absolutely horrible and rough. That being said the only GCI that I've been on was Gwazi which was notorious for being rough and, from what I have read on the internet, most of newer GCI's are smoother so I guess I'll have to wait to find out.
I've ridden one of the more recent GCIs, Wodan at Europa Park. Wodan is actually very smooth and enjoyable, it has the kick of a regular woodie but still is comfortable. One thing about Wodan compared to other GCIs is that it use polyurethane wheels compared to steel on other GCIs, so this may be a factor in why it is smoother. Plus Gwazi is infamous for being rough :P

I'm very excited for this and I think this could have a chance of topping Wodan for me if Alton get this right. I'm personally betting this is a GCI, this could be good for Alton as they don't suffer much downtime and Millennium Flyer trains are great.
ThemeCrafter264

Thing is what will happen to the lake water? Will a new lake be built at the resort to keep this water? Hype!
MakoMania

ThemeParkCrafter wrote:Thing is what will happen to the lake water? Will a new lake be built at the resort to keep this water? Hype!
No
ThemeCrafter264

I am more excited about sw8 now than Blackpool. Theming> no theming
Arwen

I'm really excited for this. Finally they've listened to what we have always wanted, a woodie! I think it will round the park off quite nicely as its been always missing a wooden coaster. :D

Personally I'm hoping a nice pirate theme with maybe actor led opportunities? Pirate themes always do work at theme parks, I love the theming for pirate falls at legoland.

Thought marketing it to the general public may be a challenge. However other UK woodies seem to be popular such as Cu Chalannin (probs spelt that wrong!) and Megaphobia. I hope the Gp latch onto that woodies are great fun to be had!
Dom

TowersTimes have all the information you need about the SW8 plans here
S.J_O'Grady

Interesting to see that it could be themed to Katanga Canyon. Although I suppose it's hard to tell as both KC and Mutiny Bay have a similar style.

I believe the original Log Flume was at one time classed as a KC ride?
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Adz
Admin
Admin

So the fabled Alton Towers wooden coaster is finally coming. This is pretty huge news for a company that had spent the last 15 years or so making excuses about how wooden coasters are seen as unsafe and therefore unsuitable.

Looking at the plans, it's rather comparable in size to one side of Joris en de Draak, which is an exceptional ride and whilst family friendly can be absolutely insane when running right.

I'm pretty excited, and that doesn't happen often!
ThemeCrafter264

Back row! Wow! If layout stays the same, this could be a fun layout
Liam_s99

My online real concern with this is the fact that the lift hill is only 10 m or 37 ft tall. This doesn't seem like it would be tall enough to get any real speed, unless the drop is taller than the lift.
MakoMania

Liam_s99 wrote:My online real concern with this is the fact that the lift hill is only 10 m or 37 ft tall. This doesn't seem like it would be tall enough to get any real speed, unless the drop is taller than the lift.
Or if there is a launch :)
Liam_s99

MakoMania wrote:
Liam_s99 wrote:My online real concern with this is the fact that the lift hill is only 10 m or 37 ft tall. This doesn't seem like it would be tall enough to get any real speed, unless the drop is taller than the lift.
Or if there is a launch :)
Sadly I don't think there will be a launch. TT is saying there is a lift in the description, and the turnaround at the top looks too tight if the train is already traveling at a decent speed.