Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Staffordshire Moorlands District Council have unanimously approved the SW8 application at this afternoon's Planning Applications Committee meeting.
Nickolai

That's fantastic news! Hoping to see some work on the site when I go in early October. (Sadly can't make Scaremazing North, but that's for another day!)
Formally Smiler313
theparklifekid

\:D/ Woooooooo!!!! \:D/

Looks like we are defiantly, finally getting a woodie at the Towers!!

Construction should get underway soon hopefully, so we can look forward to lots of construction updates, name guessing and (if any) world's first ideas!
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
JonDoesTT

Not surprised, but still great news

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Credit to NemesisRider
Nickolai

The marketing team should now be able to start their marketing phases and start teasing us about what is to come! :lol
Formally Smiler313
towerslover

Do you think construction will distrupt the sky ride to fv?
Max

I doubt it, the majority of the layout is located on the far side of the lake which the skyride doesn't cross.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
JonDoesTT

Maybe. Unless they close it you'll clearly be able to see construction, which they probably don't want. I can't see construction messing with the skyride though.

Credit to NemesisRider
Jimbo-1991

As great as this news is, I really can not get excited over this with such amazing woodies being built in america lately, this layout really does look underwhelming and on the tad side boring. Was really hoping this woodie would revolutionise wooden coasters in the UK. :(
S.J_O'Grady

We all know Merlin likes a "world's first" or at least a "UKs first". I'm sure they'll be something hidden away to make it stand out. This won't be the best woodie in the world but that doesn't mean it can't be an enjoyable experience.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Cobby

Does anybody know if John Wardley has been involved? I know he has retired but he has been trying for years to get a woodie to Alton Towers and the first ride they build after he retired is a woodie. :lol Anyway regardless 2018 is looking to be a very good year for the UK parks!
Dan

Cobby wrote:Does anybody know if John Wardley has been involved? I know he has retired but he has been trying for years to get a woodie to Alton Towers and the first ride they build after he retired is a woodie. :lol Anyway regardless 2018 is looking to be a very good year for the UK parks!
It was confirmed during the Summer Sizzler talk that John Wardley is in no way involved with any aspect of SW8.
Luce

I'm glad SW8 has been approved and that a woodie is finally coming to AT - it'll also be interesting to follow construction and I hope Merlin build a great coaster :)
Georgie

I agree with 2018 looking great, especially for the uk. A shame 2017 is looking quieter for both Merlin and the UK, but hopefully this and Mackpool are a good starting point for more great coasters to come to the UK
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
towerslover

On a positive note, there will be a lot of exciting construction updates and it will be great to see projects progress!!
Sawboss

In regards to the skyride maybe they could incorporate the fact you can see into the construction area into the advertising campaign, e.g. put pictures/unusual objects giving clues to the eventual theme that enthusiasts could only see from up there. Like an aerial Minds Wanted :D
JonDoesTT

Sawboss wrote:In regards to the skyride maybe they could incorporate the fact you can see into the construction area into the advertising campaign, e.g. put pictures/unusual objects giving clues to the eventual theme that enthusiasts could only see from up there. Like an aerial Minds Wanted :D
That would be good, but difficult. I don't think they'd want people to see into the construction area, so they'll either have to close the skyride entirely, or build a massive wall so you can't see in. This is pretty unlikely though, so you probably will be able to see the construction of SW8 from the Skyride.

Credit to NemesisRider
Justin

There may be periods when it has to close for construction, but I doubt it will be closed for the season.
MakoMania

JonDoesTT wrote:they'll either have to close the skyride entirely, or build a massive wall so you can't see in.

Or do something to the Skyride windows so you can't see as well.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Ryan.B

But that would cost money! :O

It obviously needs some TLC for your future enjoyment. ;)