Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
8byfire

JC13 wrote:
8byfire wrote:My new avatar is a clue to where my thinking's going as I was chosen at Scarefest,
What do you mean by you were chosen? Chosen on halloween?
I was about to say as I think I've put various clues together now, then I saw Alton had put that video up. I shall reveal my latest theories soon, but I did indeed do the scare maze for a second time on Halloween ... ... ...

Welcoming the wicker man, awaken
Beornen, burning, be chosen
JC13

What would this mean? Was it only done on certain days?
8byfire

JC13 wrote:What would this mean? Was it only done on certain days?
It did give me a few helpful clues, I think a few people or perhaps just one were/was chosen from each group, marked as per my avatar, check my post later when I go back to where I was before the new video side tracked me. Shall post more on the subject after lunch, those markings convey a meaning, as did how the villagers interacted with the marked 'chosen ones'...

Owen

It happened all the time, not just on Halloween. I know someone who had it go from their ear to their cheek and apparently it was a nightmare to get off :lol
8byfire

Owen wrote:
It happened all the time, not just on Halloween. I know someone who had it go from their ear to their cheek and apparently it was a nightmare to get off :lol
Ha, true, once you're marked.... Took me a while to get it off but happy that meant I could get a photo when I got home! Was done all the time in the maze I'm sure but I didn't see the interactions the first time, being chosen was good as I got to see how that changed your maze experience (more on that later). They'd ramped up the mazes a lot scare-wise on Halloween compared to the first day of Scarefest, More actors and more, better scares- I jumped a lot more even though I'd done them once already!

Dungeon-X-Smile

The atmosphere for this ride is outstanding!!

Also interesting point I noticed, the competition is closed but you can still sign up for it?
Nutty Man

Yes... that weird. But looking at the regulations, it says:
"Closing date for entries is midnight on 31st December 2017. No entries will be accepted after this time."
This makes me wonder if you still can sign up, but you just won't be accepted. Like with the smiler website, you could still play the game on it but you wouldn't win the prize. Odd.
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
Owen

It’s probably just so they can push deals and marketing through your emails! :P
MakoMania

On the new TV adverts, SW8 is being advertised as a “World’s First Rollercoaster”.
Last edited by Dan on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Caps
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Liam.W

Nooo! Don't suppose you have a link to the advert on youtube or anything do you?
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

MakoMania

Liam.W wrote:Nooo! Don't suppose you have a link to the advert on youtube or anything do you?
Page 169 of the TowersStreet SW8 topic:

https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/2 ... 1/page-169
Justin

Interesting that they are now using the 'World's First' tagline. I wonder why?
MakoMania

A tilt track section in the indoor area after the first turn out of the station is the first thing that comes to mind. I'm unaware of one on any other wooden coaster.
Dan

Justin wrote:Interesting that they are now using the 'World's First' tagline. I wonder why?
Having seen the plans, construction and drone footage, I can’t see anything that suggests a “World’s First” element to SW8 except maybe the fact that the track at the very end of the ride appears to be covered, could this be hiding a secret element of sorts?

Part of me thinks this may be a mistake by the Towers marketing team but you’d have thought an error like that would have been noticed before it was signed off for broadcast on TV.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Maybe it is this.. haha

[youtube]Wy1agS8-7RQ[/youtube]

In all seriousness I have no idea how any kind of secret track element could feature in the short stretch inside.
Ladyofthelake

I'd agree that it's odd that the 'World's first' tagline is suddenly being used, especially as Towers seem to have specifically avoided using it so far and have been using 'World Class Experience' instead.

As Dan said, so far there's no unique element as far as we can tell, but having said that we don't know what the full experience will be.
Phild94

Worlds first backwards woodie?

Has this ever been done?

EDIT: Found one called “Switchback” opened in 2015, however this goes both forwards and backwards

If it were this it could fit well with the theme I’ve suggested before (reversing time digital to analogue etc)

DOUBLE EDIT: With all the speculation on the oddly shaped wickerman structure could the holes be big enough for a worlds first standing woodie
MakoMania

Phild94 wrote:Worlds first backwards woodie?

Has this ever been done?

EDIT: Found one called “Switchback” opened in 2015, however this goes both forwards and backwards

If it were this it could fit well with the theme I’ve suggested before (reversing time digital to analogue etc)

DOUBLE EDIT: With all the speculation on the oddly shaped wickerman structure could the holes be big enough for a worlds first standing woodie
SFMM ran Colossus backwards for a period of time.

Also, wasn't it confirmed during Scaremazing that the ride would feature 3 standard millenium flyer trains?
Phild94

They may not necessarily tell the truth about the trains, especially as we haven’t seen these yet.

But I doubt it, they may not be aware that Colossus did this as a short period of time
MakoMania

Phild94 wrote:They may not necessarily tell the truth about the trains, especially as we haven’t seen these yet.

But I doubt it, they may not be aware that Colossus did this as a short period of time
Then again, it doesn't really matter if another park has already done it, it could still be the world's first wooden coaster fully dedicated to going backwards :P

I seriously doubt the stand up wooden coaster idea though, sounds painful!