Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Nickolai

Yeah they are very creative. If I was to think up a story for a coaster, none of those would be on my list! :)

As long it it attempts to at least try and bring back some resort magic then I am happy. With the theme a pattern with all of the newer rides is you will not find that style of theme and story anywhere else. That is what I hope with SW8!
Formally Smiler313
xylyx

If they call it Runaway Mine Train 2 Electric Boogaloo I will go every single day for the entire season. Especially if the centerpiece is a giant dancing robot with an afro that watches you as you speed around the track, and does the finger snap and point as you pull into the station :D

Yeah the themes are always hard to call and you have the same problem as with cryptic films and magic shows: you start reading everything as a clue, then you're putty in their hands lol.
Ryan.B

Looking at it, had it had more theming like originally planned, it looked great on the plans, like an experience capable of competing with BPB. Now as we learn more about the Mack there, and learn this is having theming cut as well as only a ok looking layout, something tells me it'll be blown out the water, and be an average ride. I'd rather go on Nick Streak, Big Dipper and Grand National. I want to be excited by this but I just can't. Hopefully Merlin realise the plans for this are quite weak and it doesn't put them off a potential woodie for Thorpe.
ThemeCrafter264

Please don't tell me that what I am about to say is fully wrong. One of my friends (the one who went to Europa park) says that he knows about sw8. He says his aunt was head of marketing at merlin. I know there is definitely some truth in this because he has met John Wardley before at a dinner. From what he says the plans are big and when I mentioned what the secret element is, he said, after much persuasion, there is something about fire. Just want to say that he really didn't want to say anything.

With the wicker man subject, he said that he knew about this theme 5 weeks ago, after I mentioned to him what I have heard via this forum.
Liam.W

I know you said "Please don't tell me I'm fully wrong", but I'm afraid I'm going to. I really doubt that staff would give away that information, especially so early on. John Wardley isn't even involved so I doubt he would even know the theme to start with, unless Merlin have asked him for a little bit of advice.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Jack

Well John Wardley has been seen on park with official looking people so it isn't entirely impossible that he is giving them help unofficially. But unfortunately I cannot believe a story, as is an unwritten rule on the internet, without proof. :)
ThemeCrafter264

I never meant that John Wardley was involved in sw8
Liam.W

I knew that, but what I'm saying is: How would John know this information that he has supposedly given to your friend if he isn't involved?

Stan.H

Also adding to that, John Wardley is probably one of the last people who would spill the beans, I would highly doubt he'd release/discuss this information this early in the construction process. How did your friend get this news may I ask?
ThemeCrafter264

I don't think it was John who told him. I will ask the friend tomorrow at school about more information
Stan.H

ThemeParkCrafter wrote:I don't think it was John who told him. I will ask the friend tomorrow at school about more information
*Watch This Space* :D
Owen

You say specifically that she 'was' the head of marketing meaning she no longer is. Considering the attraction has only just really gotten the go ahead I find it difficult to believe that they'd know anything of importance that they'd then go and tell their nephew leaking information that could possibly get them into a lot of trouble.

No offence but it's just not that believable and I suggest taking any information with a pinch of salt.
ThemeCrafter264

I will speak to the person tomorrow and try to answer that
ATI

John Wardley is probably one of the last people who would spill the beans, I would highly doubt he'd release/discuss this information this early in the construction process.
Hasn't John Wardley retired? I wouldn't have thought he would have any involvement with SW8...
We were born to fly...
Justin

John has retired, although this does not stop him working with parks across the world.

We'll soon find out further details. As TTSP says "Patiences is a virtue!"
MakoMania

Towersstreet have posted more pictures of SW8's construction on their facebook page including more activity on the car parks and a new fence (rejoice!) blocking off Katanga Canyon from Mutiny Bay. I hope this is just temporary for the limited winter theme park openings and won't be in place for the 2017 season.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Stan.H

ATI wrote:
John Wardley is probably one of the last people who would spill the beans, I would highly doubt he'd release/discuss this information this early in the construction process.
Hasn't John Wardley retired? I wouldn't have thought he would have any involvement with SW8...
He has. Just that Theme Park Crafter stated that he may be part of the project. Think this answer your question!
ThemeCrafter264

No I meant that he has had dinner before with John Wardley :/
S.J_O'Grady

Putting ThemeParkCrafter's trial to one side.. :P
MakoMania wrote:Towersstreet have posted more pictures of SW8's construction on their facebook page including more activity on the car parks and a new fence (rejoice!) blocking off Katanga Canyon from Mutiny Bay. I hope this is just temporary for the limited winter theme park openings and won't be in place for the 2017 season.
It looks like a permanent fence to me. Perhaps they'll use Haunted Hollow as the main pathway? It's a bit of an inconvenience though.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Liam.W

I think this fence will just be used when they are getting vehicles and parts on to the SW8 site. It looks just like an ordinary gate style fence that can easily be opened!