Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Ripsaw Raver

the location of the next SW is a tricky one, i want to say FV but if it is i fear we shall lose Ripsaw in the process.
Katanga should be the next area to get attention in my eyes, and i think a complete referb with the help of Intamin of the Rapids would be great, bigger boats, more turbulent rapids maybe an extention after the tunnel into the carpark area and back again, would love to see a weir drop ala RiverQuest @PL. I Do think though after The Smiler the park needs to concentrate on some flats. Somthing which DF and KC are in dire need of.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
The Psychoaster

Henry wrote:If so what about Alton having the first B&M launch?
There is already one B&M launch (Hulk) ;)
JayTricky

With six major coasters now evened out in areas of the park;

Nemesis & Air - FV
Oblivion & TheSmiler - xsector
Rita & th13teen - DarkForest

That's two in each. I'd say SW8 needs to be in a different area than those three.

Gloomy Wood would be a good choice. Close to Duel and in the woods. They've previously planned a launch coaster for this area.
DrReeve

JayTricky wrote: With six major coasters now evened out in areas of the park;

Nemesis & Air - FV

That's two in each. I'd say SW8 needs to be in a different area than those three.

Gloomy Wood would be a good choice. Close to Duel and in the woods. They've previously planned a launch coaster for this area.
theres not much room in  this area as its quite restricted i believe but if they did bring something in it would liven up a slightly dropping away area.
Image credit to Lewis97
oj

I seriously doubt the reality of SW8 being an absolutely stunning coaster.

Unless I have fallen for the hype of The Smiler, I refuse to believe any other coaster could beat it in quality, and I would place my bets on this being classed as the best roller coaster in the world.

SW8? Probably a small scale thrill coaster with a twist. I'm talking NST crossed with X- No way out. But it's got to be a dark ride. PLEASE [-o<
The Smiler is Coming...
JayTricky

DrReeve wrote:

Nemesis & Air - FV

theres not much room in  this area as its quite restricted i believe but if they did bring something in it would liven up a slightly dropping away area.
There's enough room for a good sized coaster. You can see on the plans for the launched 'broomstick' coaster that were shelved.

It weaves through the woods. A medium sized investment would be perfect for SW8.
ManiaMuse

I think they need some sort of junior thrill coaster. A spiritual successor to Corkscrew although somewhere else in the park. Not necessarily huge or gimmicky, maybe a loop or two, but something to bridge the gap between Thirteen/Spinball and nemesis etc.

Maybe something like this, supposedly quite fun? Apparently S&S are working on an inverting version with better capacity http://www.engineeringexcitement.com/ri ... s/free-fly

Extreme coasters are covered for the next decade, maybe they'll get round to getting a new flat at some point. But SW8 should solidify their family market.
DeanGaryCox

JayTricky wrote:
DrReeve wrote:

Nemesis & Air - FV

There's enough room for a good sized coaster. You can see on the plans for the launched 'broomstick' coaster that were shelved.

It weaves through the woods. A medium sized investment would be perfect for SW8.
I have seen the plans for the launched one as well before... i really wished that was built instead of rita, then gloomy wood would have been a better area; and something different might of came out of ug land, possibly not TH13TEEN!

But definitely seems like a large enough area for a good coaster; especially with the space that the flume takes up as well, which needs removing/rebuilding; definitely would be good for gloomy wood, depending though, on how long duel even lasts!
Image 2014
Benjsh

Here's a controversial thought......Instead of spending roughly £15m-20M on another steel coaster for SW8......

Why don't they install 3 or 4 Absolute nop notch flat rides and replace the Flume with something more modern for the same amount of cash. Stick 2 flats in the Dark Forest area, 1 more in FV and possibly 1 more somewhere else in the park like KC or GW. This would be far more beneficial to the park as a whole and great for spreading the waiting times around.

It will never happen but it's an idea. I don't think we need another coaster for a while with the current line up including The Smiler.
bensaund

I'd rather multiple rides, than a single one.
If you go down to the woods today
Deejay

EC! wrote:
jb19852 wrote:
DeeJayUK wrote:
B&M are going to have to start really thinking outside the box if they are to find new coaster types to add to their catalogue! Im sure something AWESOME is going to come soon tho! I envisage that they will start to cross model their coasters like Looping Hypers, Inverted Standup's, Winged Hypers or maybe even go down the Launched 'speed' coaster or hybrid wood/steel road???
Lol @ Inverted Standup - thats just, well, not possible.

Your comment on a winged hyper though is interesting. It would be a great ride for the valley
like i posted before intamin do a sort of winged hyper where the inner two seats are on the track and the two outer seats are winged and off the track. maurer sohne do a version of this type of train as well called aptly the X-Train :)

X-Trains look cool...I was thinking more along the lines of a wingrider like swarm but hyper in height (in the valley please) :D
jb19852

Benjsh wrote: Here's a controversial thought......Instead of spending roughly £15m-20M on another steel coaster for SW8......

Why don't they install 3 or 4 Absolute nop notch flat rides and replace the Flume with something more modern for the same amount of cash. Stick 2 flats in the Dark Forest area, 1 more in FV and possibly 1 more somewhere else in the park like KC or GW. This would be far more beneficial to the park as a whole and great for spreading the waiting times around.

It will never happen but it's an idea. I don't think we need another coaster for a while with the current line up including The Smiler.
Alton's layout lends better to coasters rather than flats, hence the low number of flat rides.

Completely contradicting myself though, I really think we need a very large scale dark ride something similar in size to the haunted house
scw55

Original flat rides could be sweet. However, what hasn't been done yet and is also enjoyable to ride?

Floorless Topspin could be interesting but you have rip-saw.
bensaund

Alton need to get themselves a Corkscrew :P
If you go down to the woods today
iriderides101

Benjsh wrote: Here's a controversial thought......Instead of spending roughly £15m-20M on another steel coaster for SW8......

Good idea in Theory.

However small attractions are in some respects very hard to market, whereas a large more substantial attraction is much easier to generate excitement to scream and shout about. (just think the amount of promotion of the Smiler compared to NST). Not forgetting that future plans always include a mix of high investment and mid-low investment years.

It is very hard for me to tell what sort of coaster comes next. Smiler is a surprise to me, but it will depend on what is currently trending in the coaster market and wether AT decide to go along with the market or throw a grenade at the entire industry and bring something new (Blivy, Air & The Smiler)
I would love to see a woody
andywhit

I want to see a cross valley woodie but fear it wont happen. would love that kind of "SW" budget on a water ride / hybrid coaster or an indoor attraction for the whole family.

I feel they need to put some effort into the rest of The Dark Forest as its just a bit naff really. one or two good flats. And sort out "Duel" - its about as much fun as an evening with Jimmy Saville
Benjsh

andywhit wrote: I want to see a cross valley woodie but fear it wont happen. would love that kind of "SW" budget on a water ride / hybrid coaster or an indoor attraction for the whole family.

I feel they need to put some effort into the rest of The Dark Forest as its just a bit naff really. one or two good flats. And sort out "Duel" - its about as much fun as an evening with Jimmy Saville
They ruined the Haunted House the day when they came up with duel. Laser shooting games were all the rage back then and it was fun for a couple of years. But it's tired and old now.

And it made me really sad. Still my favourite Haunted house ride outside of the states. It was a classic ride and didn't need to be tampered with. I actually wish they'd turn it back to it's original ride but I don't see it happening.

Gloomy wood is pants as well. It has one ride, 1 food place and toilets all literally on top of each other. It needs something else there. People just walk straight through it now and don't even stop. You can walk onto duel even on peak days.

Have there ever been any leaks to proposed new rides for Gloomy Wood that never came to fruition?
andywhit

there's plans for the broom stick coaster
jb19852

andywhit wrote: there's plans for the broom stick coaster
which is fake
Joshysqaushy

jb19852 wrote:
andywhit wrote: there's plans for the broom stick coaster
which is fake
no they were real,, the plans are http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/plans/broomsticks.htm
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER:
UPDATES: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 8&start=40