Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Coasterfellow

(I have already posted this under the flat ride subject)
It has already been said that an SW doesn't have to be a roller coaster. I would like to see a launched free-fall tower in katanga canyon. It could be themed around a unstable mine shaft and at the beginning could be a dark ride section the car going through a mine horizontally setting up the story before connecting with the launch tower (similar to the tower of terror in wdw). Then you here a voice shouting "Its gonna blow!". Then you are blasted up the tower. The ride could be largely underground so that the tower doesn't to go to high. That would kill two birds with one stone. We'd be getting a launch tower and a dark ride. :D
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)
Alex

If its going to be launched you would have to dig pretty deep. For the purpose of this ToT is roughly 200ft high and I would say for a launched drop tower it would need to be around that height. This would mean they would have to dig around 130ft down underground which wouldn't be cheap, so I cant see this happening.
Coasterfellow

Alex wrote:If its going to be launched you would have to dig pretty deep. For the purpose of this ToT is roughly 200ft high and I would say for a launched drop tower it would need to be around that height. This would mean they would have to dig around 130ft down underground which wouldn't be cheap, so I cant see this happening.
I was just using the tower of terror as an example for how the car travels along and then connects with tower. The ride doesn't need to be 200 ft high.
Danny

Is ToT even classed as launched. I thought you were pulled up by wires a great speed. Then dropped with the wire as well as it's not classed as a freefall is it?
Not sure but that's what I though :)
Alex

I wasnt using it as an example of a launch just a standard drop tower height
Danny

Well the max height the ride vehicle gets to is around 170ft I believe. Although, going by the price of the DLP one, to get a copy would be £97 million. However I know AT would never get anything even similar to Diany. They could get a smaller version with only two towers. On a smaller scale, maybe 100/120ft tall. This would be a really cool dark ride and drop tower in one!
Starting to like this idea :)
Coasterfellow

The ride i have in mind is nothing like tower of terror. I was just giving everyone an idea of how the dark ride section would work. The seats would be on a track going through a cave for the dark ride section before you come in line with the tower. On the tower of terror in FLORIDA, the cars go along a corridor on wheels before connecting with the tower. Thanks for the feed back. I glad you like my idea :)
Cookie Monster

Coasterfellow wrote:The ride i have in mind is nothing like tower of terror. I was just giving everyone an idea of how the dark ride section would work. The seats would be on a track going through a cave for the dark ride section before you come in line with the tower. On the tower of terror in FLORIDA, the cars go along a corridor on wheels before connecting with the tower. Thanks for the feed back. I glad you like my idea :)
I think your ride idea would make an excellent addition to KC. You could also fit RMT into the storyline by saying that the sheer power of the ride has made the Mine Shaft unstable.
Coasterfellow

I have just thought of another thing that can make the ride visually exciting. When you here it's gonna blow you shoot upwards and out of a small Mesa like sandy mountain right in the centre of katanga canyon. Then even before you go on the ride you can get excited by seeing people blasting up above you! :D
ohirome

Having visited again, I am now 100% behind the theories of having SW8 replace the flume. I had never really noticed how huge that area is and whilst riding I imagined the possibilities with having a huge coaster in that area. As much as the flume is a family favourite and a classic AT ride, its aging, bumpy and rather ugly. Get rid, AT.
Coasterfellow

I have just had another thought about the drop\launch tower. After the dark ride section you go through to the tower. The the floor collapses and you fall around 6 feet into complete darkness. You here the sound of someone striking a match and by candle light you can see that you are surrounded by dynamite. OOPS! When you struck the match, you also lit the fuse! You need to get out of there fast but its too late. You are the blasted up and then appear out of the top of mount katanga (i thought this could be the name of the mountain) I know alto towers won't get a ride like this but it would be so cool if the did :)
Cookie Monster

Your ideas are very developed, Coasterfellow. I think that KC's middle section where the entrance to RMT and CRR would be too small to fit a mountain, but maybe they could put it in the trees by RMT.
RCandrew

Okay this is really random :lol but I just saw it in an instagram comment (so credit to whoever said it) but I want to expand on it!
A stand up rollercoaster which is like your standing in skiis! So the track could be shaped like a ski slope, like the lift hill and long drop then an airtime hill like a jump, then just more rollercoaster I don't know :lol. The theme to the rollercoaster obviously would be snow, ice etc so I don't know where this would fit in the park.. Maybe a new land :) next to air!
Alex

RCandrew wrote:Okay this is really random :lol but I just saw it in an instagram comment (so credit to whoever said it) but I want to expand on it!
A stand up rollercoaster which is like your standing in skiis! So the track could be shaped like a ski slope, like the lift hill and long drop then an airtime hill like a jump, then just more rollercoaster I don't know :lol. The theme to the rollercoaster obviously would be snow, ice etc so I don't know where this would fit in the park.. Maybe a new land :) next to air!
Stand ups are quite out of fashion now (if that's possible for a roller coaster!) so I doubt AT would get one ;)
RCandrew

Alex wrote:
RCandrew wrote:Okay this is really random :lol but I just saw it in an instagram comment (so credit to whoever said it) but I want to expand on it!
Stand ups are quite out of fashion now (if that's possible for a roller coaster!) so I doubt AT would get one ;)
Wouldn't it be something of Alton towers to get one and make it bigger, better and newer ;) :lol
Coasterfellow

I would be quite possible that alton towers might get a Stand up coaster but they wouldn't base it on riding skis. The forbidden valley is already short of an overall theme and adding snow and ice would just mess it up even more. However if alton towers had infinite ammounts of space for new lands then the ride could be quite a cool addition to the park. :)
Towers jamie

With the new lodges coming in 2015 will SW8 be pushed back a little due to this being a large investment?
Altontowersbarlow

Towers jamie wrote:With the new lodges coming in 2015 will SW8 be pushed back a little due to this being a large investment?
I also believed this when I the announcement regarding the 2015 lodges was first released however I am also aware that in 2003 (the opening year of Splash landings) Duel (Re-theme of existing ride)was opened. So with this fact in mind I think if SW8 was a small scale dark ride or family investment we could still possibly see SW8 opening in the expected year of 2015. Despite this, AT may want to create a more expensive thrill attraction(very likely) and in this scenario it is more plausible that SW8 will open later than previously expected :)
Georgie

Towers jamie wrote:With the new lodges coming in 2015 will SW8 be pushed back a little due to this being a large investment?
I'm not so sure. It would definately make sense if they do considering Thorpe also missed its big investment deadline of 2015 because of the Shark hotel. In fact, this is more likely if you consider the lodges also got pushed back a year.

I do have another idea regarding the infrastructure of the resort though, especially in regards to the LTDP. It has been stated before that they want to create a new entrance between Duel and Nemesis, and there have been reports of the trees near gloomy wood by the flume site being marked for take-down, possibly for SW8. What if they do a Cedar Point and create a new ride as the central piece in this area? It could even have a double corkscrew over the entrance gate as a reference to the current plazza and its corkie exhibit. In fact, if they stretch the site out to the current path, they'll still have room for an additional water ride to properly replace the flume.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
RCandrew

GThing64 wrote:
I'm not so sure. It would definately make sense if they do considering Thorpe also missed its big investment deadline of 2015 because of the Shark hotel. In fact, this is more likely if you consider the lodges also got pushed back a year.

I do have another idea regarding the infrastructure of the resort though, especially in regards to the LTDP. It has been stated before that they want to create a new entrance between Duel and Nemesis, and there have been reports of the trees near gloomy wood by the flume site being marked for take-down, possibly for SW8. What if they do a Cedar Point and create a new ride as the central piece in this area? It could even have a double corkscrew over the entrance gate as a reference to the current plazza and its corkie exhibit. In fact, if they stretch the site out to the current path, they'll still have room for an additional water ride to properly replace the flume.

That sounds like a really good idea! I'm unaware of the size this enterance would be or the size between that and the area the coaster could be haha, but would this enterance just be 'another enterance' or will it be an enterance just for the hotel, or visa versa?? It would be kinda cool if the rollercoaster wasn't all at the enterance but more kinda stretched out over it, done a corkscrew or 2 then disappeared back into the park and the trees!