Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Alex

Coasterfellow wrote:I really want alton to get the stand up coaster. By the sound of things there will be lots of near missess because your diving in and out of katangas cave and tunnels. This ride would also give the alton towers a chance to give the ride a great story line beecause katanga canyon has such a strong theme!
How many stand ups have been built recently.....

That shows how popular they are ;)
Coasterfellow

Admitedely standups aren't the most popular coaster type but that doesn't mean they aren't good or that the general public will dislike it. I have been of shock wave which is 20 years old and i thought it was a really good roller coaster. Standups would have greately improved from 20 years ago so i think alton towers could make it a great themed ride and a fantastic roller coaster.
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)
Danny

Stand up coasters are a lot of fun, however loading can take such a long time. People get strapped in and the ask if they could release the seat a bit for being to tight etc; I'm not sure if this is just a problem at DM though. If it is I'd gladly welcome one at AT as I find them so much fun, and AT could make an amazing one as I'd expect they won't cost as much as they used to.

However stand ups are a thing of the past now, so I don't reckon AT will go for one of them, as from a marketing point of view, it's old news, stand ups don't have anything special as they are in so many parks worldwide, unless it had a world first encorporated of course ;)
stealthsmiler

But Drayton Manor has the only one is the UK ( I think Europe) therefore a lot of the GP wont have ridden one often. I think it could really work at AT, plus it could be a B&M so would be a good coaster.
NemesisRider

Could they try a floorless B and M? I have heard that the American one are very good (Kraken is apparently very good.)
NemesisRider

I would like a stand-up by B and M, but if there are popularity problem they might not build one. AT prefer to play it safe sometimes.
stealthsmiler

I would like a floorless but they seem similar to some of the coasters AT have. Nemmy is obviously floorless and Blivy and Smiler seem floorless for a lot of people, which is why I think a stand up would work its different to what they already have.
Sr88

I've never been on a stand-up before, but I've heard from some people that they can be painful (but so can sit-downs, so I guess it depends on each individual coaster).

I think there are better options than a stand-up (it's quite nice to sit down after queuing for 2 hours ;) ), but then again, I would like to try one. And you never know, if built correctly and marketed right, it could make them popular again!
stealthsmiler

Ive only ever been on Shockwave and I thought it was good and quite enjoyable. I understand what you mean about standing up for two hours although once your flying round the track and the adrenaline kicks in, it would be great. This may sound crazy but can they do a stand up floorless like on Apocalypse. I have never ridden that so I don't know how comfortable it is.
NemesisRider

Stand-up floorless?
Alex

nemesisrider wrote:Stand-up floorless?
I hope that's a joke :-k
NemesisRider

Don't worry, it was.

Apocalypse in America (I think this is the right one) is rethemed Iron Wolf. I've never tryed one like that myself. I saw that the Katanga B and M would have a massive drop but planning permission wouldn't allow it. :no:
Paws

From what I can remember being mentioned about the Katanga stand up B&M is that it was meant to be absolutely massive and include a lot of landscaping. I can also remember that it was meant to have a large, deep hole in the ground like Oblivion for its drops.

I cannot remember the exact reason why it was cancelled but I think it was either because of the large amount of trees that would have to be removed and just because of the sheer size of it.
Georgie

I thought it was shelved because John couldn't think of a better advertising slogan for it than "it's a good ride".
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Paws

Probably. If it was to be as big as it was made out to be it could have been the largest stand up roller coaster ever built which would have probably just sounded a bit too random for a slogan, but I think there would be a bigger reason to it.
NemesisRider

So if the Katanga B and M has been abandoned and they are removing The Blade and Ripsaw, you know what I expect...

A Forbidden valley B and M that expands into the car park!
RCandrew

Are they removing the blade and ripsaw? Plus if they did I'm sure they'd replace them with more flats as they'd just end up with close to none.
dazza4783

nemesisrider wrote:So if the Katanga B and M has been abandoned and they are removing The Blade and Ripsaw, you know what I expect...

A Forbidden valley B and M that expands into the car park!
I would say it's more likely that if blade and ripsaw are making way for the new coaster then it will go across the valley rather than onto the car park, baring in mind that it would have to get round or over air to get onto the car park.

Fingers crossed for a Cross Valley RMC, will settle for a B&M though.
NemesisRider

Apparently AT wanted a crops valley woodie for 2006 but planning disallowed it.

If SW8 is in Forbidden valley, will it be Nemesis themed, Air themed or a new theme altogether?
NemesisRider

Isn't Enterprise moving to Forbidden valley to make up for the loss of The Blade and Ripsaw?