Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
stealthsmiler

I hope they leave the Nemesis theme alone now, before its done too much and gets boring.
NemesisRider

I think the Nemesis theme could be extended, we hear very little about how it got to Alton towers and Sub-terra left a handy unknown element of what happened to the hatched egg.

Surely they could do a Europe's first and worlds first? I agree Nemesis is their biggest success, and that was because the train style had been done before, same story with The Smiler.

I would love a new inversion, the world needs more upside downs!

Having videos in the queue is good, it gives more story to the ride (Swarm and Smiler used these.)

Indoor sections are quite good too.
RCandrew

Considering they hold the world record for most inversions with the smiler now, and that bet the previous by 4, I doubt they will focus on inversions for at least the next 2 SWs.
chrisgeorgiou46

hlack_bole wrote:true that.

Hmmm, I'd really love SW8 to be a dark water ride. and maybe for SW10 (just because it's 10 and not 9) a WOODIE! I think that's enough time (2017?) for Merlin and designers tackle the problem of noise and height restrictions.... I pray! Beliiiieeeve!

We'll all be dead and sentinels will have taken over the universe by the time Alton finally convinces the locals and the environmentalists to let them build their woodie, and then half a year later some park in the US will build a clone on some concrete but double the size and overshadow us again.
henry.buxton.44

I think like air but instead of being below the trank you are lying on the track, it should be called RUSH ;)
DeadJack5

Gloomy wood Aeschylus of the main areas has 2 coasters each and that's enough in my opinion. Gloomy wood would make for a great dark coaster and I mean scarier than 13 turned out to be. Either there or near the rapids and flume. A water type coaster that goes near the water like infusion in Blackpool. That way it could be a family ride.
JammyBand

This may sound ridiculous but perhaps incorporating the idea of Falcon's Fury into a roller coaster? Imagine oblivion but the trains are done so that you lie on your back. As you go over the drop, you would then be the right way up (due to lying on your back). Then, as you are held at the top of the drop, the train tilts forwards 90 degrees so you are looking straight down. It would be AWESOME.
Ah, it will never ever happen, but it amuses me to imagine so. I just wanted to put that out there. ;)
Garnetto

JammyBand wrote:This may sound ridiculous but perhaps incorporating the idea of Falcon's Fury into a roller coaster?
Would be a pretty awesome idea, but essentially all Falcon's Fury is is a flat ride equivalent of Blivvy (bar the whole tilting situation and the 'almost vertical' nature of Blivvy) Would love to see it happen but unfortunately I can't see it happening at AT. I'm hoping for some sort of a cross-valley coaster, despite the potential downfall at the planning permission stage.
Happy 20th Birthday to Nemmy and 1st Birthday to The Smiler!
Credit to Lewis97 for my AWESOME signature!
NemesisRider

I hope Alton towers uses water like in Infusion, but please not an inverted from Vekoma. They are super head-bangy and riders virtually always get headaches.

I like B and M a lot, but Gertslauer have done very good British roller coasters. I hope Gertslauer do SW9, because The Smiler was Gertslauer and they hardly ever do 2 SWs one after another from the same company (excluding Nemesis and Blivvy.)

Falcons fury seems like a Detonator type ride.

I think the ride should go underground. If it is a world first instead of a record breaker, they will have to make it very good. I want near misses like The Swarm has on this ride.
Danny

I would be quite happy to see Gerst manufacture SW8, but it's not looking likely. After The Smiler's trouble I think they will avoid Gerst for a few years now until the start to perfect their different ride designs.

However I could see AT investing in a gerst hyper coaster providing this new one goes well. It sounds awesome! :)
Georgie

nemesisrider wrote:...they hardly ever do 2 SWs one after another from the same company (excluding Nemesis and Blivvy.)
And Air. All of the first 'original' SWs were B&Ms. it's only recently that they've brought other manufacturers in with TH13TEEN and The Smiler. (And Rita, even if that's not actually a SW. In fact Rita and 13 are both Intamins, and they were consecutive coasters.)
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
RCandrew

I think there's a good chance they could use the same company twice, but with gerst all they're coasters are quite similar so it'd have to be something different for them. Maybe like the new hyper they're doing? But even that would be hard to fit in ATs restrictions, plus it uses the same cars as the smiler! Gerst don't have as much verity within themselves compared to B&M or intamin so I think it will more likely be one of them :)
Altontowersbarlow

I would rather AT just play safe with SW8 and use B&M. This should hopefully avoid complications with the ride while still allowing it to deliver a quality ride experience. You only have to have a look at the success of Nemesis and Oblivion to see that B&M have produced some of the best rides in the world without the stress of teething problems /technical issues therefore it seems a clear benefit for AT to use this world renowned company once again. I would also like to stress that I think The Smiler was an outstanding success however it can not be denied that it's late opening and major teething issues have somewhat hindered the rides popularity. With this in mind I would naturally favour B&M to be involved in the next major ride for the park.
RCandrew

I think it's obvious that they should choose B&M, because it's been 12 years since they're last at AT and the B&Ms at AT are definitely the favourites :D just imagine what they could do now! :)
NemesisRider

In an earlier post it was mentioned about a Katanga canyon B&M. Look what I found in a John Wardley interview video description...

"Join John Wardley as he does a fantastic question and answer session at Oakwood Theme Park in Pembrokeshire, Wales. John talks in detail about The Smiler at Alton Towers, the plans for Megaphobia at Oakwood, the many past ride ideas for Alton Towers including a stand up coaster for Katanga Canyon and much more."

This is all pointing to a Katanga canyon B&M. Britain does need a good stand-up, but assuming this is SW8, what would be the world's first? The removal of the Flume also could mean a Katanga canyon extension. They need more flat rides to fill the gap years, a new log flume and possibly a new haunted house.

Still, if Ripsaw and The Blade are removed, how will they fill Forbidden valley? I have heard Enterprise might be moved and Merlin could get a new X-sector themed pirate ship (that's just my own guess). Could Forbidden valley get a none SW coaster?

Here is a link to the video.

DM message me if it doesn't work.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I believe the Katanga Canyon stand-up is a shelved concept, due to the massive fall in the popularity of that coaster type. However, that's not to say that another rollercoaster design could be used in that area of the park instead.
stealthsmiler

Could AT use an Intamin wing coaster. This is the list of reasons why i think it would work.
- It doesnt look as wide as a wing rider therefore wouldn't need as much space
- Is different to every other coaster AT has
- Is different enough to The Swarm that the GP are less likely to make the link.

I would really like to see this coaster get installed as it looks really fun and could have some great near misses. Heres the link

http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amuseme ... fault.aspx
NemesisRider

I think AT want something with inversions, B and M usually do that. I can't see another Intamin anytime soon.
Dan

nemesisrider wrote:I think AT want something with inversions, B and M usually do that. I can't see another Intamin anytime soon.
Something tells me that AT wanted something with inversions for SW7.... :P
Coasterfellow

I really want alton to get the stand up coaster. By the sound of things there will be lots of near missess because your diving in and out of katangas cave and tunnels. This ride would also give the alton towers a chance to give the ride a great story line beecause katanga canyon has such a strong theme!
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)