Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dom

As gutted as I am that it didn't open this weekend, Damn snow and temperature and wind, it was very nice to finally see it complete in person.It is actually quite nice to look at. It looks like it will be a nice addition to the park. The shop was a bit over crowded when I went to have a look so literally peered in, thought nope, and went and stood in the corner, but it looked nice too and it looked like their was some nice merchandise too. Just a shame AT will now have to wait until October to get my money for it :lol
Justin

There is some very good merchandise of an extremly high quality. It is certainly on another level.

I've spent rather a lot this weekend, including a Wicker Man jacket not pictured!

Dungeon-X-Smile

Justin wrote:There is some very good merchandise of an extremly high quality. It is certainly on another level.

I've spent rather a lot this weekend, including a Wicker Man jacket not pictured!

Nice Haul Justin! That merchandise looks incredible, especially the frame. Is it made from offcuts or just wood?
Justin

Actual ride wood. I chose one in particular as it had stamps and marker paint on it :)
ROYJESS

Justin wrote:There is some very good merchandise of an extremly high quality. It is certainly on another level.

Looks better quality than that offered in the Wickerman photobox 
Robert.W

I imagine there will be quite a few people who now regret buying the "exclusive" Wicker Man Photo Box... :lol

theparklifekid

Looking at the weather forecast for the park tomorrow, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the ride has a soft opening tomorrow. Which I hope it does :)
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Annabel96

theparklifekid wrote:Looking at the weather forecast for the park tomorrow, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the ride has a soft opening tomorrow. Which I hope it does :)
They’ve said to a few people on Twitter they that again it’s looking unlikely it’ll be open tomorrow. Was hoping to go myself but I’ll have to wait until the Easter holidays are over to try again.
Loakin

Alton Towers tweeted this out, confirming the official opening is this Saturday, and that there will be an opening ceremony. It also has a slight new teaser. 
Jcoaster

The comments on there disgust me, Towers can't help the weather, people should be less ignorant and see it from Merlin's point of view; the ride's cannot run in windy, snowy, cold conditions which it was over the weekend, I think people should be grateful Alton was allowing them to reschedule their visit.
Dungeon-X-Smile

I agree! The weather was beyond dangerous, and although I was sad that they didn't open Wicker Man, I didn't blame Alton Towers. They were incredible this weekend, and really showed the best of the company, making changing tickets as easy and hassle free as possible, and handing out refunds for hotel bookings and dealing with an amber alert weather warning! It sucks that in response they're getting so much hate... They should be getting praised!
TheBeornen

Yeah I'm really happy with how AT handled this bad weather but it does make me glad I waited until the easter holidays before I get to see this ride for the first time.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Morgan

Saw it in person today, and the ride is looking pretty neat. The actual wicker-man structure is pretty big and imposing, but it's pretty obvious that they've used LED screens as "fire" throughout a lot of it (much more obvious in person).
Dan

Despite the awful weather at the weekend, it was great to finally see Wicker Man in person.

The Wicker Man itself is absolutely stunning, and is by far my favourite theming element on the park. I can’t wait to see it running with all its effects. What is unusual is how it can be seen from numerous places across the park. While not obvious, it blends in well with the trees, which is a nice touch. The plaza area in front of the ride was open today and the music was playing too. All I can say is I can’t wait to feel the atmosphere around there when the ride is running.

The whole area has been finished off really well, obviously we couldn’t get a decent look at the queue line theming, but what I could see is very impressive. The shop has also been very well done, I love the wide range of merchandise on offer, and may have spent a bit too much in there :lol

I’m hoping to be heading back to Towers next week, and if the whole experience is as good as the reviews have said, I can see this knocking The Smiler off my #1 spot.
PhNx Survivor

So have the soft openings stopped? Or is it all for Saturday now then?

As I will be venturing to Alton on Saturday, again :P
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Dan

PhNx Survivor wrote:So have the soft openings stopped? Or is it all for Saturday now then?

The soft openings haven’t started yet.

All Towers are saying is that it’s unlikely it’ll open tomorrow morning due to there still being quite a bit of snow and ice to clear, so there’s a chance it will soft open in the afternoon.
Yappo

Morgan wrote:Saw it in person today, and the ride is looking pretty neat. The actual wicker-man structure is pretty big and imposing, but it's pretty obvious that they've used LED screens as "fire" throughout a lot of it (much more obvious in person).
Yeah I thought they looked pretty good in all the photos I'd seen, but in person they really do just look like screens, not that great. I imagine they'll look better obscured by a bit of fog/smoke though (there wasn't any on Saturday was there?) But otherwise, it's easily my favourite piece of theming in the UK, and possibly even my favourite piece of theming from all the parks I've been to (except perhaps the station/lift of Baron 1898).
Well, I can't make it on Saturday as I have an acting workshop... but as soon as I hear it's started soft opening, gonna start making plans.
Created with my unofficial Beornen runes font, available here.
Whoguru5

I'm going back for Sunday hoping with my early rise sunday and fastrack this trip will yield a couple of wickerman rides and if i get there early saturday perhaps i could ride it then.

Thanks to lewis97 For the signature.
DisneyImagineer

I have just had to log into an old account and found the only one I could find still active to let my happiness out...
There is a PRESHOW. Finally, finally, finally, finally. Praise! After waiting and been on and off this forum for 15 years, we finally have a decent pre-show to a coaster!!! 
One that sets the story, fair and square. No dusting around the edges.
Dungeon-X-Smile

Dan wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:So have the soft openings stopped? Or is it all for Saturday now then?

The soft openings haven’t started yet.

All Towers are saying is that it’s unlikely it’ll open tomorrow morning due to there still being quite a bit of snow and ice to clear, so there’s a chance it will soft open in the afternoon.
It wasn’t open at about 10:35 when I check ride times today...
But I have hope that the soft openings will happen!