Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Ladyofthelake

A European Trademark application covering categories including those associated with theme park attractions has been filed by Lane IP for the name “WICKER MAN”, along with an associated logo.

Could this confirm the name for Secret Weapon 8?

Burrito

^ Nah, this is clearly a Gruffalo coaster ;)
Bert

I thought Lane IP had already filed the name 'Wickerman'.

WICKER MAN, just the way it is stylised feels very Merlin. 

So with DBGT, how long was it before they trademarked the name until the ride was announced and the trademark was passed to Merlin? It could give us a countdown until the SW8(Or should we say WICKER MAN) announcement.
[Insert Signature Here]
Dom

The logo is growing on me. The more I look at it the more i begin to like it. The name however feels a bit meh. I don't know why though! Maybe because it isn't actually a surprise and its something that's been speculated for quite some time now. 
Teammaddiz

That's a The Smiler grade coaster logo right there. Stick it on some Tshirts and mugs and it'll just be as iconic and memorable as The Smiler's I bet.
Last edited by Teammaddiz on Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I really like the logo itself, and the name isn't too bad - I'm glad they dropped the 'The' though :P Hopefully this means we'll see a pretty nice entrance sign, with perhaps something like DBGT's to give the effect that it's glowing.
theparklifekid

I personally love the name, but I LOVE that logo, I've just made it my desktop background and I can guarantee I'll be getting a shirt or something with that logo on. 
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Tom170499

Something I noticed whilst having a look through is that the application has been submitted with Italian as it's second language. Could it be possible that this is something to do with Gardaland? Although it is most likely to do with AT, the thought just crossed my mind when I saw it. 

On a side note, I really do like the logo but the name seems a little underwhelming. 
ThemeCrafter264

I guess it's an alright logo, doesn't really beat Smiler or Galatica. The name however is absolutely awful and sounds far too basic.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Tom170499 wrote:Something I noticed whilst having a look through is that the application has been submitted with Italian as it's second language. Could it be possible that this is something to do with Gardaland?
If you look back through Merlin Attractions Operations Limited's European trademarks from the past few years the vast majority of them (possibly all, I haven't checked) have Italian listed as their 'second language', although I'm not too sure on the reasoning for that.
Krazycoaster

I guarantee that the vast majority of the public will read the name and immeditaely think about the goddam awful Nic Cage film and not the actual ancient practise of what a wicker man is. Alton may have shot themselves in the foot but I do like the logo. Just worried the GP will be confused and mislead by the branding/name.
Justin

Game over. I must admit, I didn't think it would be the Wickerman, but I love the logo!
Sawboss

I imagine most of the public who don't spend their time looking at meme-y things on the internet forgot about that film ages ago, or will think of the 70s version instead.

As a side note, I've heard that the only recorded tales of the burning of a wicker man as a form of human sacrifice came from roman writers, who had a stake in making the druids out to be barbaric.
Justin

The logo itself looks brilliant and I love it, however, reading the comments and taking it in more, the name is just too predictable! While I believe it is game over, I am hoping that it is just a red herring and I am personally hoping the name will change. I think 'The Chosen' is a brilliant and mysterious name for a coaster  and should be used instead of Wickerman. The other thing which doesn't sit right with me is the shape of the theming structure.
Yappo

Yeah that'll be it confirmed then, the style of it is completely consistent with the marketing stuff we've seen so far so I don't think there's any doubt this is it. I love the name and concept, I actually think it's really unique and evocative. Excellent logo too that will look great on merch and things.

Anyone up for a bit of a sing-song? HAND OF FATE IS MOVING AND THE FINGER POINTS TO YOU...
Created with my unofficial Beornen runes font, available here.
NemesisRider

Gotta say - I like the logo quite a lot. I think on first preferences I prefer this to DBGT's logo; however, Smiler's will probably end up being seen as the more iconic one. The name is fine, about what we were expecting. I'll probably like it more when I get used to calling it The Wickerman (if that is its name and this isn't a trick, similar to what Cedar Fair pulled with Fury 325 being called Centurion) instead of SW8.
S.J_O'Grady

I quite like this, although: 1) I was hoping for a slightly less sinister theme since the park (that's all about magic and happiness) has 5/6 main rides themed around misery and horror, and 2) I can tell already this is either going to be it's own random area or screw up the theme of a different one.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Jcoaster

The background for the logo is strikingly similar to the teasers at the end of the YouTube videos AT have produced, and the new signs around the SW8 site, so that, for me, is a clear indication this is indeed for SW8
Yappo

S.J_O'Grady wrote:I quite like this, although: 1) I was hoping for a slightly less sinister theme since the park (that's all about magic and happiness) has 5/6 main rides themed around misery and horror, and 2) I can tell already this is either going to be it's own random area or screw up the theme of a different one.
Yeah I was disappointed as soon as I heard it was going to be a part of Gloomy Wood as I was hoping it'd be in either Mutiny Bay or Katanga Canyon so we'd get a nice Pirate or African theme, but instead we're getting YET ANOTHER horror theme, like almost every other major coaster at the park. It would've been nice to see something different. But, that's how I felt when we first learned it was going in Gloomy Wood - these days I've somewhat warmed to the idea. And I do like the theme, as even though it is yet another horror theme, the whole "folk horror" thing is something we haven't had yet which I think is really cool. I think it'll fit just fine in Gloomy Wood, just a shame it's... not really in Gloomy Wood's actual area and its inclusion in the area is somewhat convoluted... presumably the entrance will be somewhere around the Haunted Hollow so that it does at least feel partially a part of the area.

If that giant themeing element really is a wicker man with fire effects that go off when the train passes through, I can imagine night rides on this will be amazing. Especially if they plant some trees around the area as well so it ends up a bit like Th13teen's first section, going through the woods. It's looking to me like, if the structure is a wicker man, it won't be the whole thing but just the upper torso and head, judging by the shape and size of what we've got so far.
Created with my unofficial Beornen runes font, available here.
S.J_O'Grady

I'd also like to say that this really makes me hope it'll be intense. Yet another ride that is clearly a family coaster with a dark death theme just won't do it for me
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.