Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Stan.H

Yappo wrote:Just got inspired to do a speculative "artist's impression" type sketch of what I think this coaster may or may not be like. Bear in mind it is just something I knocked together for fun and is entirely just for artistic purposes so isn't even necessarily accurate to the layout we already know, and this is just what I think the theming element MIGHT look like, it's looking like the head could even be more of a ram's head type thing actually, and I very much doubt any fire effects will be that big, that was more for dramatic effect :P but still, this is really more just like what I imagine a possible concept sketch for SW8 might've been. (I didn't put any people in the train because I suck at drawing people.)
Wow!!!!! I really hope it is along these lines now, as that is stunning! Could see alton nicking that idea!! ;)
Robert.W

Ha ha! Alton would ruin it by planting a small hill with the Towers on top in the background!

Stan.H

Robert W wrote:Ha ha! Alton would ruin it by planting a small hill with the Towers on top in the background!
Yep, and maybe with a small asterisk, saying that fire will be working until it breaks, and they will fix it up 6 years later in a heavily marketed "clean up" plan :p
Phild94

Just a little bit of speculation... would be interesting if AT went all out with some form of Animatronics in this wicker head piece, maybe some satanic ritual talk etc
Stan.H

Phild94 wrote:Just a little bit of speculation... would be interesting if AT went all out with some form of Animatronics in this wicker head piece, maybe some satanic ritual talk etc
As good as having an animatronic in the main theming structure, I personally highly doubt Alton would keep on top of maintaining it... Sure for the opening year, it'll look mint, but then it'll just be left there to die. However, if they did opt for the option of an animatronic, that'd sure be pretty cool to see, however, not entirely sure how they could incorporate that in with the rest of the structure.
Phild94

Stan.H wrote:
Phild94 wrote:Just a little bit of speculation... would be interesting if AT went all out with some form of Animatronics in this wicker head piece, maybe some satanic ritual talk etc
As good as having an animatronic in the main theming structure, I personally highly doubt Alton would keep on top of maintaining it... Sure for the opening year, it'll look mint, but then it'll just be left there to die. However, if they did opt for the option of an animatronic, that'd sure be pretty cool to see, however, not entirely sure how they could incorporate that in with the rest of the structure.
Probably just the mouth and eyes, with speakers in the mouth to give the impression of talking/chanting etc. But this combined with afire effects could look amazing, especially over scarefest

It's a shame that I totally agree that AT wouldnt keep the tech going and upkeep would be minimal to say the least
Owen

I'd personally much rather it not be an animatronic, I feel like we could see a much more impactful effect using various show effects on the statue, something I think we should probably expect at this point :P
Jcoaster

I agree with Owen, animation would look gimmicky and odd on something that big I feel. I am personally excited just to see a massive statue towering above you, the fact that it doesn't move will also be quite ominous and imposing hopefully; as it stands there looking down upon you
Justin

Hopefully they will add some flame effects. These can be achieved quite well with lighting and smoke. Just imagine busting through the flames!
Phild94

Jcoaster wrote:I agree with Owen, animation would look gimmicky and odd on something that big I feel. I am personally excited just to see a massive statue towering above you, the fact that it doesn't move will also be quite ominous and imposing hopefully; as it stands there looking down upon you
I think done well it could add to the ride, as long as it's not cheap 1980's style animatronics with movement.

But if they don't use this I still think the figure will be seriously imposing, it's great seeing this themeing getting taller by the minute!
Justin

I wonder if the SW8 site will be lit up at Scarefest?
Chris
Admin
Admin

I'm not sure a fire effect is a good idea? It's a wooden coaster.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the fire effects were removed from Wodan at the top of the lift due to an obvious risk of an incident.

Seeing the track bed go down on most of the layout now, I'm really excited for this coaster. Nice to have something completely different at AT.
Sawboss

I assume a fire effect would be away from the track on the statue itself which could be metal finished to look like wood.
Justin

Here is the fire effect from Bloody Mary at Tooley Street London Dungeons. I'm expecting something similar to this at 2:48...

[youtube]qHmf9tWB7WY[/youtube]
MakoMania

Chris wrote:I'm not sure a fire effect is a good idea? It's a wooden coaster.
Didn't stop Apocalypse at Six Flags Magic Mountain
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Phild94

MakoMania wrote:
Chris wrote:I'm not sure a fire effect is a good idea? It's a wooden coaster.
Didn't stop Apocalypse at Six Flags Magic Mountain
Apocalypse's pyro is situated a long way from the ride, if this is to be a wickerman with fire effects I would expect it to be in the statue itself.

I do think it will have these type of pyro effects, but probably use large amber/orange lights with thicker smoke effects giving the effect of burning, without the fear of turning the whole ride into ash!
MakoMania

The themig structure is considerably taller than the surrounding ride structure, if they are going to launch fire it could be done from towards the top of the theming structure. This would leave some room for safety.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Danny

As much as I'd love some sort of fire effects, I can't see Merlin investing in what would need to be a large fire effect to have any impact. In the current position with everything being under the watchful eye of H&S rules and regs I can't see them taking the risk.

However the theming element is going to look amazing, seems to really tower over the area and will hopefully make for a great near miss when on ride :)
Nickolai

Maybe they could get around it with smoke machines and red glowing lights. But then during the day you wouldn't notice the lights, so maybe they will have to do their best with smoke!
Formally Smiler313
Stan.H

What about the fire effects used on Scorpion Express at CWoA?