The Corkscrew

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Air Jake

Does anyone know why the actual corkscrew peice has been re-painted to purple?
.Will

Because you can't stick two rusty corkscrews in the entrance to Britains most popular theme park.

Purple and gold tie in with Alton’s colour scheme.
BigAl

I'd have preferred it if they'd painted it to look like it did when it first opened and mounted the cars to look like they're going through them either painted in gold or had new cars made like the originals and have them mounted onto them instead. It was never going to happen! :P
SpinballEdders

i think purple looks nice on the corkscrew the white one doesn't look that nice and wouldn't really be appropriate to put at the entrance
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

I wouldn't of really thought gold was in Alton's colour scheme, but I like it. I would of left it as it was in it's UG colour though.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
TowersJake

Stelios7 wrote: I wouldn't of really thought gold was in Alton's colour scheme, but I like it. I would of left it as it was in it's UG colour though.
The gold represents the banners in the marketing all over on leaflets and on their website. I would say purple, gold and red were the main theme colours ! :)

ATJakee Youtube Channel !
Jack Fletcher

I really miss the corky every time i walk past the monument i remember my head being slammed against the restraints.

- Jack
Hari

SpinballEdders wrote: i think purple looks nice on the corkscrew the white one doesn't look that nice and wouldn't really be appropriate to put at the entrance
You know this is an alton towers forum not a Flamingo Land forum. the corkscrew at flamingo land is white and the one that was at at was yellow.  :roll:
Last edited by Hari on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NR
SpinballEdders

Hari wrote:
SpinballEdders wrote: i think purple looks nice on the corkscrew the white one doesn't look that nice and wouldn't really be appropriate to put at the entrance
You know this is an alton towers forum not a Flamingo Land forum. the corkscrew at flamingo land is white and the one that was at at was yellow.  :roll:
I'm sorry but some people may see it as white like myself, the original colour doesn't matter as it looks better in purple anyway.

also there was no need to remind that this was an alton towers form in your text speak, it sounded really rude with that statement
thefatone

How could you possibly see it as white?! Madness ;).

Corkscrew looks amazing at the entrance. Shame the rest of the plaza lets it down.
BigAl

The generations that grew up and alongside the Corkscrew will remember it in yellow. There was over 30,000 people that turned out on its opening day. I think that speaks for itself, really! In this day and age it wasn't much compared to other rides, but back then it was phenomenal! It was THE ride to ride! It's a British icon that paved the way for pretty much every development at Alton Towers that we see today. :)
Dave

personal i think it would of looked better something like this. using both the rides more traditional colours on the track and still using the parks corporate colours

was a bit of a rush job so sorry the quality is a bit crappy
BigAl

Perhaps it will get a repaint from time to time to renew interest in it? It deserves the attention and money as it's a piece of history. :)
Corkscrew Lover

What did you think of it? i loved it! Where are all the Parts Now?
The Moon

It did them proud, and without it we would not have the Towers. But its day has passed, everything but the Corkscrews was melted into scrap steel, and the Corkscrews are purple and gold by the entrance.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
roary01

It was a fun ride, and provided a good filler towards the end of its life, however it did also hold an enormous amount of history to the park, hence why it was such big news when it came to its last day (which i was lucky enough to attend)
I have to admit though, it did leave at the right time, yes some people say it shouldn't of left, some people even complain the fact th13teen was its replacement, but it had done its time at the park, and at least it still lives on with what i feel is the best tribute it could of got which is the two corkscrews at the park entrance.
As for the rest of the ride, most of the track was scrapped as after 30 years there wasn't much else it could of been good for, the cars well the front carriage of one was sold on ebay, whilst i believe the park still have kept park of it.
It was a big part of Alton's History but it had come to the end of it running life and i think the park made the right decision for it to close.
1980-2008