TowersTimes Forum Software Update - 20/11/2011

Attraction Source and TowersTimes website news, comments and suggestions.
Islander

Been sending a few PMs recently, and had problems with two now, whereby the recipient has replied quizzically stating "why did you send me a PM only to then delete it? I still got it via email, y'know". Issue being, I didn't delete either of them.

Can lead to issues, for instance "why did you delete it, do you take back what you said?", "well, no, I didn't actually delete it...".

Any ideas what the problem could be?
Joel

I have no idea what that could be I'm afraid :? I've even had a look through SMF's forums to see if theres any reports there, but not found anything yet.

I'll keep an eye out, but this sounds like an awkward one to try and pin down :(
Islander

I guessed it'd be one of those kind of bugs. Ah well, I'll let you know if it continues, if that's of any help.

Thanks Joel :)
Dar

I have one request (so far), could you make the shoutbox remember that I've turned the sound off on it? It's not an issue as such, it's just something that bugs me! I sometimes leave the index page open for a little while while I browse other sites (for shame), and if I forget to turn the sound off the ding-a-ling gets annoying! :P
Rob L

Dar wrote: I have one request (so far), could you make the shoutbox remember that I've turned the sound off on it? It's not an issue as such, it's just something that bugs me! I sometimes leave the index page open for a little while while I browse other sites (for shame), and if I forget to turn the sound off the ding-a-ling gets annoying! :P
I second this! For someone that doesn't use the shoutbox it is annoying having to turn off the sound every time I use the forum!

:)

BIan

I third it,  if you cant make it remember turning it off, can the default be changed to off?

Ian
ATJoseph

Is it me or shoutbox isnt working i cant see any posts
i have IE 9
DiogoJ42

The shoutbox can take up to a minute to load for me. But it gets there in the end.
Joel

Re: The shoutbox notification sound posts...

I've had a look and it appeared that the browser cookie that remembered your shoutbox sound preference was set to expire with your browsing session, thus when you closed the window and come back later it'd forgot what you'd chosen.

I've extended the cookie expiry time to a year now, so you should find that it will remember your sound preference between sessions.

Obviously it will only remember it providing you don't clear your cookies, your browser is set to accept cookies from TowersTimes, and it won't remember it between different browsers/computers too.

Hope that helps.
Dormiens-Dave

Could i ask a big favour off everyone

Recently people havn't being reporting posts when they want the attention of the Forum Team to look at it. Instead people have been editing their posts with the words "Delete" or asking in the post for a move or delete. This really assumed that someone on the team is going to see the post which isn't always the case especially when team numbers are lower due to holidays ect.

So if your post is accidental, needs moving or you see another members post that breaches TTF guideline please click the Flag Post button at the bottom of each post. This creates a little red flashy thing when ever a Team member logs on so we know exactly where to go and what the problem is.

Thankski
Jordan

Do we get any notification that post reporting has been dealt with? I'm sure we used to get an email.
Chris W

Jordan wrote: Do we get any notification that post reporting has been dealt with? I'm sure we used to get an email.
I guess that was a feature of phpbb that SMF doesn't have. I don't see any reason for needing an email, as I'm sure the phpbb emails would just say "X has closed your report", nothing all that interesting.
Islander

Dunno if this has actually been worked on at all (if not, perhaps it's linked to the disabling of the sound?), but for me at least the Shoutbox now seems to load near-instantly, as opposed to the 10-15 seconds previously, which is cool :D.

On a different topic, a quick question: is there any way to introduce a spoiler tag, like we had in phpBB? Or would that require a specific mod, in which case I understand they're being avoided. It was a rather useful tool...
DiogoJ42

I've just noticed that too. Huzzah! We have a usable shoutbox again! \:D/

Agreed on the spoiler tags though, it was a nice feature.
Chris W

The best you can do at the moment would be to change the font colour to white or beige and people can then select the text to make it visible.

Can't comment on an actual spoiler tag coming back though, that would be up to the admins.
DiogoJ42

Are any other iPad users having trouble posting in the shoutbox? I type a post, hit enter, and my text just disapears. I try using the send button and the same thing happens. :? It takes about four attempts before I am able to post there.
Mi-Nigle

I'm having trouble searching for an old topic. Does the search not work for topics older than the software update?
Big Dave

Yeah it should do. Works fine for me :?

What are you searching for?
Mi-Nigle

I'm just looking for the topic about the Thirteen talk John Wardley and Morwenna did.

If I search 'Wardley' for example, and click 'Most recent topics first', the oldest is 30th November. Is there a 30 result limit?
Chris W

The forum does seem to search for old topics though, it is just that it seems to be limiting the search so only 30 results are displayed (A bit useless really!)

Hopefully there will be some sort of option in the admin panel to increase the number of results. *Stares at Craig, Kaycee and Joel*