Irkoo (Thanks system)

Attraction Source and TowersTimes website news, comments and suggestions.
Dormiens-Dave

The thanks system has always been a tricky one as its very popular but other older versions have always caused server issues, we find one that doesn't do that but now thats having other issues.

The ranks system is very controversial as its completely dependant on team partiality though we hope to have a democratic solution to that coming in with the new forum software.

So in short hopefully we can get the thanks back as its a shame for those who have collected so many of them.
Islander

This is probably a massively taboo question, given how many issues mods have caused in the past, but heck, I'll have a go at asking...

Does SMF start slowing down and failing when adding mods like phpBB does? ...and if not, are there any reliable reputation mods that are available? ...and if so, is it something TTF would ever consider?

I'm expecting a resolute 'No', but meh, might as well ask.

As for backups (or lack thereof), do you still have the backups from pre-Irkoo? I realise they'd be missing a tonne of 'thanks', but to revert to them would be preferable to reverting to zero...
oldgitBEN

do we genuinely need one?
I certainly rarely use it, look at my level or others. A number under a name makes no substantial point toward the input or value of a member.
There are obviously some with more thanks due to the entertaining/spam in the tavern, some press thanks when negative comment it made against a poster, some have lots because they have been here a long time, then I suspect a rare few with more due to actual quality. There is no value in the system what so over apart from being able to claim pettily at the amount you have.

Its a very flawed system, but then again all 'reward' based systems are. I value each post on its own merit and importance, not on the amount of 'thanks' the member has - anyone that does this is surely missing a large portion of the conversations in topics. Id be much happier to have nothing of the sort, I recognise username that I know have been here a while and whos views I respect - I dont feel the need to be told how worthy they are.

But theres always been one on TTF and I suspect there always will be, and I suspect I will always ignore it.
themealgang

I'm missing the ability to thank posts. I think we have a great system here, sad it's gone. Bye bye 102 points- its been fun. :-)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Islander

[quote=""oldgitBEN""] do we genuinely need one? [/quote]
Yes, given that a large number of members really like it ;)

Thing is, having a thanks system doesn't in any way negatively affect those who don't use it, so although your post is an entirely valid opinion (of course - goes without saying), it doesn't seem to be a logical reason not to have such a system.
Adam James

[quote=""Islander""][quote=""oldgitBEN""] do we genuinely need one? [/quote]
Yes, given that a large number of members really like it ;)

Thing is, having a thanks system doesn't in any way negatively affect those who don't use it, so although your post is an entirely valid opinion (of course - goes without saying), it doesn't seem to be a logical reason not to have such a system.[/quote]

It's posts like this where i've instinctly looked for a thanks button, then awkwardly remembered that's what this whole topic is about.. :P

If there is a suitable replacement to Irkoo, then I'm pretty sure most people would be all for it.
DiogoJ42

Whatever happens, be it a totally new system, or we get Irkoo back, would it be possible to make a backup of everyone's count every week or two?
Bote

If a new system was to run on the TT server then odds are we would more than likely have regular backups with the forum. The issue with Irkoo is that it is hosted on an external server. We have little or nothing to do with it. It's all done by Irkoo, which means unless they are to offer a backup feature odds then I doubt we can take backups.
oldgitBEN

after a discussion on chat tonight I have decided to spearhead the campaign of "Dont be a Thanker".

TTF never used to have a thanks system and now some 48 hours without, we are managing to cope.
The system was a farce anyway, it provided no real input to a users reputation. Some people would get thanks for their spam within the tavern, some for arguing with other members (hence as a retrospective anti thanks) and some just had alot of thanks cos they had lived on TTF for too long, kind of lingering like a bad smell.

Add to this the additional effort the team have to put in for a thanks system, is it worth it? I say no. Anyone with a high thanks score I tend to lol and read all their posts with a very strong sense of irony.

So today I launch the "dont be a thanker" campaign, either as text in your sig, or as a pic - the more creative the better. Just to show we are more intelligent than your standard internet forum and capable of intelligent conversation and gratitude without having to press a button.
Big Dave

We should have a GTFO button tbh :P
Dan77

The thank button was a good way of thanking people for information and it was a good way to gauge how reliable someone's information is?
John

I liked it, it was a convenient way of showing appreciation for something someone had posted without making a pointless post just to say thanks. 

I don't think the overall count was very helpful though, that just made it a status symbol, and a high thank count is not a good indicator of overall post quality.
Nightfall

If you look at it as a way to judge a users reputation then yes it's a bad system. But I don't think that is its main function. A Thank is as it implies a way of thanking someone for providing information, adding something you would have otherwise said to a discussion or a way of responding without having to create a pointless post.

I think the RCT sub forum in particular likes the thanks system just to know that someone was reading your updates and want to see more. For every update there are normally only 1 or 2 people who reply but if several other people have thanked you know its being read. The same applies for the hundreds of Europa park updates AstroDan makes. They're good updates but it's hard to say more than "nice picture, can't wait for the next". In these cases it's easier and better to just thank them.

Having a total just happens to be a useful way of knowing when you’ve been thanked. It can also be a useful way to tell how involved someone is who you don’t recognise the username of. If they have no thanks and have just posted something nooby chances are they are a new member and you can judge your response accordingly.
[align=center]Image[/align]
.Will

Thing is most of the members on here take the rep points with a pinch of salt, as in everybody knows that it isn't a representation of their quality but really just another number.

I loved the old system, it keeps the post quality higher as it makes you want to earn thanks.

:)
James

The thanks system is a fantastic way to simply (as the system is named) "thank" someone for a post. I think it's also nice for the poster as they know their post is appreciated. I sometimes write long posts and think "well no ones read that" although when someone thanks it I at least know my post has been noticed.

I've never really taken it as a reputation system. As people get thanks for different reasons. Sometimes it's because you're a good poster, other times it's because you write sarcastic and witty replies.

When you've been on a forum long enough you usually pick up your "favourite" members and members whose posts you enjoy reading the most. Like I know which members posts' I decide to ignore mostly due to lack of quality and know which members posts' I read straight away as I enjoy their posts.

I'd say overall the thanks system is a personal thing more than anything else.
Joel

Just a quick note to drop back in and say that we are looking at developing something (ourselves!) so that people can put their thanks to a post on the forum.

It may or may not have tallys or counts of thanks against the users as unfortunately thats where we may start to encounter issues with speed (as it involves more complex queries), plus it makes it more difficult to develop and maintain, and hacks the forum more which we wanted to avoid.

But we think its likely possible to at least bring back a box of "People who says thanks for this post..." at the bottom of posts, and I'll have a look to see what I can do as soon as possible.
Blaze

It's helpfull for new members as well, they can see how many thanks someone has and that can help them work out who the reliable, helpful and all round good members are. Obviously it's not perfect, some great people have few thanks yet I have quite a lot, but it's the best we can do.

Personally, I do love the system, and I think it works. It's something we really do need to keep in some form or another.

EDIT:
If there's going to be a new system, having it displayed should be a priority over a slight drop in speed. Hiding it would be totally pointless. I think most people would agree it should be displayed, it's one of the things where function should come first. Obviously if it then turns out to be too slow, we could think about removing it as a last resort, but it should be a priority to have it up and on display.

:)
Joel

No, you seemed to have missed what I was saying Blaze:

There would be no overall COUNT of thanks - i.e. "Joel has received 899 thanks" as this would be difficult to maintain, means hacking the forum to pieces to fit it in moreso than the issue of speed, which is also another issue.

There would however be a display on the bottom of each post, saying "Joel, Otheruser1, Otheruser2, Otheruse3 say thanks for this post"
Islander

I know little about coding, so forgive me if this is stupid, but...

Would having the number displayed only on people's profiles (like post counts, for instance) involve less hacking/slowing down? That way, the number would still be available for anyone wanting to check it out.
Joel

No, the easiest and quickest solution would be the one I've already suggested, as it merely involves adding a field to the end of the post table, called say "thanks" for example, that stores a serialised array of usernames who say thanks for that post.

The field would already be queried as part of the topic loading process and therefore puts little (if any) extra strain on the database or even PHP to process that query and display the information for each post.

Updating it is a simple PHP script also, meaning I don't have to hack forum innards to achieve it (which is the main priority and focus for the team - NOT modifying the core fourm code).