High Court challenge over noise - guess who's back...

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
longy0151

How old are the Ropers anyway?
sku11dude123

[quote=""longy0151""]How old are the Ropers anyway?[/quote]

3 Mentally

I dont know physically tho....
James

Surly the Ropers will get no where this time. What evidence do they have? Nothing much has actually changed over the past few years, the park teams have always kept noises to a minimum and with new developments they have always looked closely at making sure noise is not an issue. The Ropers really infuriate me.

As my mum said: "They are only after one thing: money". I actually believe this too. Sure they have lived there longer than the theme park although the noise of the theme park has been around for a very long time, bound to be something you get used to over 20 years, no?

I can't see them getting anywhere with this. They have no new reasons and it's just all the same old recycled crap. I hope Merlin's legal team get nasty with this and put the Ropers in their place.
euan.monk.

They need to stop wasting there money on all this!

If they really are bothered about the noise, MOVE! As others said, it's not exactly like the park just came out of nowhere they have had over 30 years as others said. I know that they lived there before the Park we see today, but there's no need to be so dramatic. If the other residents think that Alton Towers are good because it bring business, why cant they agree.

It doesn't matter how much they try they would never win over such a big company, they've only got one thing, which is they was there before them, but nothing else. They are over exaggerating with the noise and vibrations, since if the windows don't shatter in KFC, which is literally right next to it, why would there's. The Towers always make sure they stay inside the noise levels and not to upset the local residents, so it's not like there doing it on purpose to annoy them.

They could of sold there house and moved out by now with all of that money they've waist on this. There's probably a lot of people out there who would love to move near Alton Towers (I'd love to live where they live) and even set up a business such as a B&B or a pub/restraunt.

I just feel like they should give up, and accept that the park will always win.
Blaze

I live under the flightpath into John Lennon Airport, near several major roads, including a motorway, and next to two rail lines. The noise pretty much fades into the background and I only really notice particularly low jets and things like that.

Surely after 30 years, any noise they could hear would just fade into the background?
barmy_scotty

all im gonna say is there two mardy gits who just want to grab some money and get in the paper! they need to GROW THE HELL UP! how old are these people? like 60+? there just giant attention seekers!! they need to either put up with something there trying to make out which is total bull:censored: or MOVE!! its not blooming rocket science to do it! pair of bluming pansies!.. it winds me up cos some one who lives a few doors down the road from me are just exactly like these two miserable gits but not this severe!

RANT OVER!
J01N U5.... Y0U W1LL 5M173.....

Y0U B370NG T0 TH3 5M1L3R

5M1L3!!!

ALWAY5
Dormiens-Dave

The idea that the Ropers have been in Farley since before Alton Towers created a noise problem is laughable, the estate has had gala days, fireworks and huge events on the grounds since the 1800's. Merlin legal team need to get out their history books if they want precedence.

I can't imagine the Ropers winning, it would set a terrible legal precedence for business's smack bang in the middle of a economic crisis.

However can i remind people not to throw personal insults about the forum, keep things critical :D
themealgang

I have nothing more to really add to the discussion, other than I think this is really pathetic now. I guess this means that the fireworks will not light the skies for another few years, and its more bad press for Britain's best loved theme park.

The bottom line is: theme parks are noisy places. Alton is doing everything in their power to prevent noise, so build a bridge and get over it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Themeparksandy1981

[quote=""Blaze""]I live under the flightpath into John Lennon Airport, near several major roads, including a motorway, and next to two rail lines. The noise pretty much fades into the background and I only really notice particularly low jets and things like that.

Surely after 30 years, any noise they could hear would just fade into the background?[/quote]

Snap im the same I live by Birmingham flight path and got the Birmingham to London line at the back of the house. We got triple glazed windows in and cant hear anything.
AT TeeJay

Instead of moaning about the noise why don't they get out there armchairs and have a good time considering they live NEXT TO A THEME PARK. If not I'm sure a TTF member would be happy to swap houses!
---- You\'d Better Not Go Alone ---
formula1fan

[quote=""Blaze""]I live under the flightpath into John Lennon Airport, near several major roads, including a motorway, and next to two rail lines. The noise pretty much fades into the background and I only really notice particularly low jets and things like that.

Surely after 30 years, any noise they could hear would just fade into the background?[/quote]
When I'm not at uni, I live on the flight path to Newquay Airport. Admittedly, it's a fairly quiet commercial airport, but I don't mind it at all. In fact, when it was closed a few years ago, it was weird to not hear the noise of planes for a few weeks. I actually miss it as well. Furthermore, my grandparent's farm is very close to the A30, and although I can hear the traffic from their farm, it's not a problem at all. To be honest, I fail to see what problem the Ropers have with Alton Towers. Or is that a stupid statement to make? :P
DiogoJ42

I've lived all my life in urban areas. My last flat was twenty feet from a major junction on the A40. Before that I was above a shop on Bromley high street surrounded by pubs. My current place is above a dry cleaners... during the daytime there is constant noise from their washing machines. I am near Heathrow (though not on a flightpath) but I do get all the traffic for RAF Northolt come right over my head.
... And I wouldn't have it any other way. Silence is creepy, I hate it! :lol:
Last edited by DiogoJ42 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdamPanic

in order to end the "misery" which Mr Roper believes is afflicting "many others in Farley and Alton".
The Judge/Defence should make the substantiate this claim, with evidence.
fredward

Ok, sorry if this is just plain silly... but you don't think this is a clever publicity stunt?

It seems like a pointless case. In the unlikely case they start winning the court case there will be so much protest from enthusiasts, guests and local business' who thrive on the success of Alton Towers.

Because of the stupidity of the case, I'm finding it hard to believe that is all going on again. Thats why I'm theorising a publicity stunt. Alton Towers pays the Ropers to complain and get Alton Towers in the papers....

Isn't it weird that this complaint has appeared during the start of closed season were no sound from the park is heard?

Makes the public think about Alton Towers when it's closed.

Just a theory to differ from the rest of the rage comments! :P

Though if this is a true case I fear to think what this might do to the planning permission of SW7... no matter how frivolous the case, it still seems a little bit cheeky submitting planning permission soon after some residents complain about the park being to loud... and soon after previous planning permission...
formula1fan

[quote=""AdamPanic""]
in order to end the "misery" which Mr Roper believes is afflicting "many others in Farley and Alton".
The Judge/Defence should make the substantiate this claim, with evidence.[/quote]
Oh, that's a certainty. In law, any claim must be backed up with evidence. [/law hat]
SpinballEdders

it's weird because i was thinking about the one that happen in 2004 the other day and thought they we're just a piece of bad history but i was wrong :(
Jammydodger

Someones in for a nasty shock, I doubt they even realise Merlin took over Alton Towers. And I shouldn't imagine Tussaud's put up much of a fight to be honest.

It's laughable that they described the original ruling as unfair
2 People don't hear the distant noise of coasters
2 Million people don't get to ride these coasters at all.
Tom G

They're not trying to shut down the park. The headline is wrong and isn't even backed up in the article's content. All that is likely to come from this is a reduction in noise levels the park is permitted to emit - which could have dramatic complications. I don't think they will be successful though.
Dormiens-Dave

The sort of restrictions the Ropers want will result in a closure by default, the noise limits they require are so restricting that if i was Merlin i would wind down operations at Alton Towers. Putting my "geek" head aside this would be a terrible blow for the staffordshire district as Towers is only behind JCB in employee figures and the number of non-employee jobs (such as B&B's) in the area could possibly make Towers a bigger economic benefit to the staffordshire moorlands than JCB.

I completely dissagree with the Ropers actions and my family who live in the area seem to suggest that the number of locals who hate the towers are far outnumbered by those who support it.
Tom G

They can't go into court and say "I want X amount of noise emitting from the park" or "I want no noise coming from it etc."

It's up to the judge the decide if a restriction is required, and what that would be.

The park's closure is simply not a possible outcome of this action and there's a lot of melodramatic comment in this thread.

Even if a strict restriction is imposed on the park, they'll find ways to innovate as they always have. Britain's most popular theme park is something worth sticking by - and that includes in business terms. Merlin saying "sod this, if we have a noise restriction, we're off" is never going to happen, let's be honest.