New Air on-ride DVD

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Coaster_Dude

[quote=""Mr P""]Bought one, it's really cool but seems to have an issue in low light/overcast weather with grainy footage.[/quote]

I'd love to be able to see a video in full. I saw bits of it in the shop when I last visited and I was actually pretty impressed that it was a fair amount of high speed footage (which is what causes the exposure problems you mentioned, the faster the shutter speed the less light makes it into the image. Normally daylight is enough but I can imagine it being an issue on darker days.) although I'd be curious to know whether they sell it at night over scarefest, as I could imagine without extra lighting it would be completely unuseable footage.
Mr P

I asked, after sunset they stop selling,
Benedique

A video has been uploaded here
Tom G

Thanks for the link, but my god what a load of crap!
Don't_Look_Down

[quote=""The Psychoaster""]I noticed two cameras on either end of one of them when I went on the 22nd. I presumed they were just leftover from the previous YourDay stuff though.[/quote]

I think that's exactly what they are. I actually noticed these cameras when I went last November.

Slightly off topic, but The Swarm will have built-in video recording capabilities :)
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
Magrathea

I think it looks rather good! Certainly for what it is, and compared to the YourDay product!

I just hope that the poor quality is a result of compression to YouTube, not actually what the DVD's like :).
thefatone

From watching that video - absolutely none of those are from the yourday cameras. They've all got different locations and definitely capture you better than yourday ever did.

Bit weird that the shop uses the only remaining yourday camera on the lifthill to promote the product, but doesn't use it on the DVD!
Mi-Nigle

That looks a lot better than I expected. It does have its issues, the soundtrack sucks and maybe the price, but I think it qualifies as an admirable successor to the on-ride-photo.

I'm in two places about the price. One half of me thinks that an on-ride DVD should naturally cost more than an on-ride-photo because it captures a lot more. The other half thinks about the production costs. I'd have thought a short DVD would cost about the same as a photo? Considering the price of inks and photo paper etc I can't imagine there's much between them.

Then again, if Alton Towers charged for their photo's based on their production cost they wouldn't be £8 or whatever it is now.
dominoes

Oh, that DVD was a bit of a let down. I thought it would be like that video of Manta, where the camera was mounted on the front, so if you looked at the ground, the video would just film the top of your head...
thefatone

Towards the end of the week, the DVD and photo combo was £12, and they were pitching "Get DVD for £4 extra" with photo.
The Crab of Nemesis

hmmmm, well it's certainly better than YourDay, but not perfect. Editing was all over the place and why on earth did they speed up the footage into the break run? Just bizarre.

On the whole, not bad though and a much better product than YourDay - the photo DVD combo at £12 is actually very good value.

I'd still be happier with on-boards though and I think it would be as possible on Air as it was on Oblivion
ImageSince 2008
djtruefitt

Its better than the old Yourday but when you see the nice clean looking promo Air clips in the video, and then the cheap, dirty looking shots of you on the ride it just doesnt all fit in well.