New Air on-ride DVD

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Tom G

It's nothing like Oblivion's though in that it isn't reverse POV! Sounds like a load of rubbish in comparison!
Big Dave

[quote=""roary01""]Yourday is not back!
This is a brand new system/video created by picsolve.
The Oblivion on board dvd never really worked, however towers wanted a picsolve dvd, as thorpe has saw.

the Air DVD was born.
All new cameras have been added, no yourday cameras will be used, and new video footage created by picsolve.

the video will record the car as it goes passed the cameras, however... IT SLOWS DOWN THE FOOTAGE SO YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE YOURSELF, and they are high quality cameras.

it was originally supposed to be realeased in summer, however loads of set backs including the camera quality, and getting the dvd camera timings correct has pushed the release back.

But this needs to be cleared up, YOURDAY WILL NOT RETURN, IS NEVER WAS SUCCESSFUL, THIS IS PICSOLVE OWNED, IN PLACE OF THE NOW DEFUNCT OBLIVION DVD.[/quote]

Im sorry but you are stating what we already know. Some of the old Yourday equipment IS being used (such as camera mounts and some of the cableing, etc), but yes we already know that this is Picsolve doing this and we already knew that Picsolve had plans to do this this. The Oblivion footage was pretty good, but it was yet again cursed with problems and we hardly ever saw it running. Hopefully the Air DVD will be better.
Air Guy 138

This looks great. I'm not sure if I'd buy one, though... Has anyone bought one of these yet? What do they include?
Alton Towers Top 31. Air 2. Oblivion 3. Nemesis

tyrex

Going to Alton tomorrow, so if the system is running, I'll buy a copy and post the video on YouTube (and link here) so you can all see it.
thefatone

To correct Big Dave - they're not using the yourday stuff at all. Every camera is new, and in a completely different location to the previous yourday stuff - some of which is infront of the old ones (see single riders queue).

Only exception to this could be the lifthill one, which is the only yourday box with a camera still present, and is one which the generic "Air DVD" video uses.

They look far higher quality than the yourday videos, at far more onride points (pretty much covering every part of the ride, unlike yourdays lifthill, two points over the ride and lift). So, should be technically worth a bit more.

Whether it works or not.. is yet to be seen!
Big Dave

The post for the second tunnel is the same and I also believe the one in the brake run is the same too. They also seem to be using the same camera mounts. Either way I dont really care as I hated Yourday with a passion and glad to see the back of them, but its fairly clear they are using the Yourday idea but on each ride instead.
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Going back to Oblivion, two cameras have been put BACK on one of the shuttles.
Big Dave

Maybe they have new, higher res cameras in them. I always thought it was a waste to install the workings for this on the trains, only to not use it. Glad to see it coming back, just hope they can get it running properly and to a decent quality.
thefatone

[quote=""Big Dave""]The post for the second tunnel is the same and I also believe the one in the brake run is the same too. [/quote]
The break run box is empty - they've got one just before you hit the breaks instead.

Definitely a yourday style video thing.. but with far far more footage of yourself. Worth £12 though? Not a chance in hell.
TowersJake

When i rode oblivion on the shuttle we rode on they had a on board camera attached (like the ones they had before)
So are they maybe testing one and bringing it back ?

ATJakee Youtube Channel !
djtruefitt

Yes I noticed that one of the Oblivion shuttles has two cameras attached to it, they must have only appeared recently because with the amount of times I have been on Oblivion this year I would have thought I might have noticed them :P

As for Air, I didnt go on the ride yesterday but when in the shop I had a look yet there were no videos being shown at all. But this was in the evening, so they might not work in the dark. But there are posters advertising the new DVD and a big sign on the wall where the stairs are from the ride exit.
JAMMYD777

I visited on the 28th and rode Air in the morning and was surprised to see that every single ride photo screen were playing the new DVD's from the previous rides. I don't know why this is but there was not one single normal ride photograph on show so they must be really pushing these DVD's.
SW7:
The Psychoaster

[quote=""djtruefitt""]Yes I noticed that one of the Oblivion shuttles has two cameras attached to it, they must have only appeared recently because with the amount of times I have been on Oblivion this year I would have thought I might have noticed them :P

As for Air, I didnt go on the ride yesterday but when in the shop I had a look yet there were no videos being shown at all. But this was in the evening, so they might not work in the dark. But there are posters advertising the new DVD and a big sign on the wall where the stairs are from the ride exit.[/quote]

I noticed two cameras on either end of one of them when I went on the 22nd. I presumed they were just leftover from the previous YourDay stuff though.
siralgenon

I bought a Air DVD yesterday! It starts off with the resort and air logo's infront of a moving 'sky' background and then gives ride stats etc. before moving upto the ride - it shows sections from the ads live the crafts tilting up etc. From here it shows footage of you on the ride and POV's in between the camera locations - the DVD lasts approx. 4 mins and is an average quality but worth the money!

All screens in the Air Shop show a clip of the video's at the same time then all switch to show on-ride photo's and then back again :)

All in all a good package for only £12!
djtruefitt

Any chance you could upload it on youtube or something? Im interested to see how it does compare to Yourday.

The cameras on the Oblivion shuttles wernt from Yourday but from on ride DVD last year, However on every single time I visited last year the screens were always turned off in the shop.

They could have been on all year but I have never spotted them this year and it would seem strange to remove them all apart from two cameras on one shuttle.
nobby

Ive purchased two YourDay dvd's in the past and really found them good value and was very disappointed to find when i went this year that it was no longer availabe. I really dont know about the problems that were encountered because i didnt experience them. But at least i have two very good dvds from when i have taken my children to AT in the past and wouldnt swap them for anything, Far more enjoyabe than photos in my opinion.
Lucieloo

I got back from AT yesterday and didn't see this advertised? Not sure if it was up and running otherwise I would have bought one..
Couldn't see it in the shop either?
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
Chris W

I was going to buy the DVD yesterday (DVD and Photo was £12) But they seem to be having some technical difficulties that not all crafts are being recorded.

Hope these issues are sorted out soon though, as the price is good and it looks better than the YourDay product.
NemmyJunkie

So when I went Alton Towers (last week) ..They had a new on-ride video for Air and it looked pretty cool. Was wondering if any of you have seen it recently and if you like the idea or not?
Mr P

Bought one, it's really cool but seems to have an issue in low light/overcast weather with grainy footage.

Tbh I see this as better than the Photo's as (In theory) you can get 28 people on the DVD as opposed to the 2 on a ride photo.

:D