Scarefest 2012: General Discussion (Spoiler Warning)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
oldgitBEN

NastyPasty wrote: 3). If we're lucky, the Skyride might open (and if we're extra lucky it might not even burst into spontaneous combustion).
Well, all the cars have been replaced after a fire, as have FV station and CCL station... so bets are on for the Entrance station to be next.
Child 'O' Nemmy

oldgitBEN wrote:
NastyPasty wrote: 3). If we're lucky, the Skyride might open (and if we're extra lucky it might not even burst into spontaneous combustion).
Well, all the cars have been replaced after a fire, as have FV station and CCL station... so bets are on for the Entrance station to be next.
I've forgotten what it was off, but on some youtube vid, the guy on it said
And alton will continue to set their skyride on fire as an excuse to build a cross valley woody
Made me laugh
scarefestjoe

I was speaking to one of the managers at Alton and they said that the sheer amount of complaints that they had from not having the mazes by the hotel was crazy. They told me they believe 2 new mazes will be making an appearance on the hotels door step. Don't forget Alton invested alot of money a few years back on green lighting and paths at the side of the Alton towers hotel.
Magrathea

I'd hazard a guess that with the Black Hole tent out of the way we'll be seeing more mazes on top of TOTT in various creative places on park :)
siralgenon

Im not sure if this has anything to do with Scarefest, but as many of you know the path lights were removed from the Haunted Hollow earlier this year. I walked through yesterday and tall wooden posts have been placed at various points along the pathway. Could this be for Scarefest lighting?
kingbling11

Magrathea wrote: I'd hazard a guess that with the Black Hole tent out of the way we'll be seeing more mazes on top of TOTT in various creative places on park :)
Or they'll do a Thorpe and plonk marquees in random obvious places...
Adam

kingbling11 wrote:
Magrathea wrote: I'd hazard a guess that with the Black Hole tent out of the way we'll be seeing more mazes on top of TOTT in various creative places on park :)
Or they'll do a Thorpe and plonk marquees in random obvious places...
Towers would only do this if:

A) They were easy to hide and disguise, and..

B) They had no alternative!

I see the return of Hotel Mazes more likely to be honest.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
thefatone

If they like the idea of using tents on park (they tried with hospitality, they used black hole), what's the chances they may try and use something like GoalStriker as a scaremaze? Right next to zombies path, good customer flow.. easily customisable..
ubagel

I prefer scarefest to the big US events, but Alton could learn a few things from Busch HOS....well, specifically on-park tents and let the Zombies loose!

Busch dispensed with scarezones this year and let a few zombie hordes wander the park. Being family friendly (and low budget) Alton couldn't do this park-wide, but I'd love to see a zombie horde wandering round forbidden valley. This could be incredible. I'd 'd switch the zombies scarezone for this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j10Bal-9GIE&t=1m0s anyday!

And yeah, GoalStriker would make a great maze. Would AT drop a moneymaking game for scarefest though?
Poison Tom 96

ubagel wrote: And yeah, GoalStriker would make a great maze. Would AT drop a moneymaking game for scarefest though?
I don't think AT run it, I think HB run it.
PeteB

siralgenon wrote: Im not sure if this has anything to do with Scarefest, but as many of you know the path lights were removed from the Haunted Hollow earlier this year. I walked through yesterday and tall wooden posts have been placed at various points along the pathway. Could this be for Scarefest lighting?
What?? Why on earth would they do such a stupid thing?

Haunted Hollow was the only area to be built with proper pathway lights, something the park desperately needs. For what reason would they rip those out to be replace with crappy cheap green lights on wooden posts?
jackgcse

Overall, it can't get much worse than last year!...can it?
djtruefitt

The black poles are still there for all the haunted hallow lights, but the lights on top have all been removed and now have tops on them. I cant see why, just seems like spending money removing them for no reason. Unless they do have plans for haunted hallow for scarefest. If they just leave the haunted hallow open as normal then they need more lights than last year, at some points on the path it was in total darkness.
PeteB

djtruefitt wrote: The black poles are still there for all the haunted hallow lights, but the lights on top have all been removed and now have tops on them. I cant see why, just seems like spending money removing them for no reason. Unless they do have plans for haunted hallow for scarefest. If they just leave the haunted hallow open as normal then they need more lights than last year, at some points on the path it was in total darkness.
That's just the most insane thing Alton Towers have ever done! Removing lights?? Bloody hell!

On regular nights those lights lit the pathway beautifully, dim enough to enjoy the darkness but light enough to see the pathway.  At both Scarefest 2007 and 2008 they added green filter gels to the insides giving the path an eerie green glow.

1 step forward and 2 steps back? YES!  :shock:
blackholes crow

just as long as they don't light the place like they did nemesis last fireworks event that was horrible like turning the whole area in to midday and not midnight who ever did that needs shoting but the scarefest defo needs more theaming like zombey zones and the thought of a ttf maze would be extreamly fun for us but not for the punters who enter muhahaha hehe!!! but there needs to be something in the gardens or forbidden valley.
as for lighting kiss [keep it simple stuped] the best effects come from those that dont show them selfs untill your on top of them this includs lights eather small spot lights or sola powerd lamps the lighting should reflect the area/phase your entering or leaving so take the dark forrest for eg as you enter theres usley a great god like beam of white light great for if your heading to heaven but not so good at the entrance to something spookey so remove it please to the other side of the aera as in your not heading to heaven but the other way to something simester or to hell as the white light fades away [as its behind you] your met with dark greens,orange's,dark blues,reds etc.. anything other than white's or light colours [come on your trying to create an atmosphere that matches the area
''holy crap lead wasps''. ''keep low and keep your eyes peeled boys were goin in guns blazing''
''ON THE FLOOR NOW''.''STAY DOWN OR ELSE''.
jackgcse

They realise they could cut almost all halloween theming, by simply having large filtered spotlights everywhere, so the entire park is green or red, and you have large speakers around the park, that have loud heart beat type sounds or base eerie music...that all they need! and it would work!
Liam B

yes to thee above!! Even just around forbidden valley and x-sector, just a low constant bass speaker would set the tone very nicely!
Themeparksandy1981

Just seen Madness on the queens Jubilee concert and them projectors on Buckingham palace and thought it would be a good idea to have them used on the towers for scarefest and maybe the fire works event.
Coaster_Dude

It's a nice idea, but I think the towers are too obscured by trees for the effect to really work for the fireworks.
Themeparksandy1981

It doesn't need to be used During the fireworks themselves but be good to do a story on Halloween for scarfest like you see ghosts in the windows and during the fireworks it's based on Sub Terra.