Scarefest 2012: General Discussion (Spoiler Warning)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Longy

I'm off from 19th-29th, so when I go for Scarefest this year, it shouldn't be busy should it?
I hope not as last year wasn't and the whole country had the same term times, so this year, I'm hoping for more re-rides than last year.
domnicholas

i went to both scarefest 2011 and 2010 and if im to be honest i thought they were boring. in my opinion when you hear the term scarefest i think lots of actors walking around the park and more scarey games and attractions would make it better. the mazes are ok but the fact that you have to pay makes them a waste of money for something that last about 2 minutes. the only good thing about scarefest is after dark rides but even those could be made better. in 2011 they said thirteen was to come alive at night and i went on it at about 7.30pm and nothing live happened. the only change there was from day time to night time was the 'crypt' had the lights on.
djtruefitt

While I was at the hotel this weekend I was having a look through the guide they put in your room, and there is a bit about whats happening in 2012, and it says Scarefest will be on 13th, 14th and 19th - 31st October.
Voke

djtruefitt wrote: While I was at the hotel this weekend I was having a look through the guide they put in your room, and there is a bit about whats happening in 2012, and it says Scarefest will be on 13th, 14th and 19th - 31st October.
Will the 13th and 14th be a Preview Weekend of some sort? :)
James

A preview weekend would be quite useful for Alton (assuming that the 13th/14 could be a preview weekend). It would certainly give them a chance to see how the attractions run with the public and then gives Alton a week to make any necessary changes needed for the attractions.
djtruefitt

Last year Thorpe had a weekend or two before halloween where they had frightnights on, so its probably similar to that.

Because I have a bad memory I took a photo so I didnt forget the dates, it doesnt mention anything about it being a preview weekend, just that is when scarefest is on. (Sorry about the bad quality but I took it with my phone, the small text at the bottom, was just the usual marketing scarefest stuff, nothing exciting there).

Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

OvenChips wrote: After attending 2010 and 2011's scarefest, this year im going to try a scareroom :D
I already cant wait for it! I think maybe this year they will add sub terra live? or something among those lines. And for christ sake bring back duel live! couldn't believe it was gone last year, but the zombie scarezone made up for it.
Thing is, with Duel live, I find there is never enough actors, crank down the sound a bit and whack a few more in AT!

And Sub-Terra live seems likely.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
Adam

My hopes and expectations for Scarefest 2012:

The main thing that needs sorting from last years, let's say, shambles is park-wide lighting. During SF 2010 the lighting was very good. There was alot of room for improvement but it was a very good effort. Last year... it was a disgrace! That is my main hope for this years event. Throw a bit of money at lighting and park-wide themeing.

My expectations for this years event are...

- CoS will see it's debut within the old Ice Show tent.
- A brand new maze will be setup somewhere in Forbidden Valley and will utilize the Sub-Terra storyline to expand on it further.
- Th13teen Afterdark will do one.
- Field of 1,000 Screams will make it's triumphant return to the line-up!
-And i expect another BRAND NEW maze to join the hotel line-up.

So in summary, I think this year we will see 2 park mazes. TotT and a new sub-terra maze in Forbidden Valley. And over at the hotels, a further 2 mazes. Field and a brand new one.

:)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

CoS won't be opening in the ice show tent for two reasons. 1 the tent is small, too small for something like that plus CoS is totally the wrong theme for the farm. 2 the tent has been condemned.  The 4d plans from last year didn't do enough work to the tent to make it structurally sound so they wouldn't be allowed to put a maze in there without investing in a new tent which they won't do anytime soon.
Poison Tom 96

i would advise all peeps to avoid 13th and 14th if possible.
SAM93

Okay, so is it me, or has this event just got shorter by 3 days than what it was last year?

Last years event ran from the 15th - 31st of October, lasting for a total of 17 days, this years new format reduces the number of days to 14. Okay, so it could be a good move, I know many events do seem to do it, however there is just something about Scarefest that doesn't seem to progress or develop in any way unlike it's rivals.

I hope I can be proved wrong, but it really does sadden me, that was started off in 2007 as a great event with tonnes of potential, is now going into it's 6th year and it really doesn't seem to have gone anywhere! :(
djtruefitt

I think the way Halloween falls this year will be why its on for less days, as they could run it from the 13th right to the 31st but that would be 19 days, which might be too many and would cost much more than the 14.
AstroDan

It is a pity they didnt bite the bullet and run Scarefest until November 4th, with fireworks a week later (9-10-11th).

The school holidays are odd this year, but I feel that if they had extended it all a little, they would have had more guests and more revenue all round.

Alton Alton, PLEASE give us an Adrenalin Week this year! You had one from 5-11th November 2007!!!

:D
Last edited by AstroDan on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onair

Yep really will avoid those first 2 early dates this year.

What I would like to see it something different for a change. Not the same old stuff dragged out again and again. Let see some new pieces of theming around the park. I actually quite liked the year they had the skeletons on towers street coming out the graves. Would be nice to see something with a wow factor. Perhaps some sort of animated feature or epic lighting display, projections etc..

It was a nice touch to see the Trick or Treat doors moved to the  bottom of Towers Street but once again same old same old. Surely a park with Altons status and we know they like their worlds first , could come up with a first for halloween. One of the main issues that need to be addressed is the park lighting. I may say this over and over but last years was just a total lack of thought put in.

The amount of crowds the Scarefest period pulls in you would think they would really go all out for it.

And one final thing ditch the scarecrows, nice touch to start but now boring.

I totally love halloween at Alton it has so much potential as others say but would be nice to see they go all out with something new.
PeteB

12344321 wrote: CoS won't be opening in the ice show tent for two reasons. 1 the tent is small, too small for something like that plus CoS is totally the wrong theme for the farm. 2 the tent has been condemned.  The 4d plans from last year didn't do enough work to the tent to make it structurally sound so they wouldn't be allowed to put a maze in there without investing in a new tent which they won't do anytime soon.
Nothing wrong with the ice show tent, and its huge!  I've heard from a former ents member that the tent is used as a (very well organised) storage warehouse, choca-bloc full of equipment, props and theming. They would have to find somewhere else to store all that if they moved CoS in there.  For that reason, and none other, I doubt it would happen.
thefatone

When I had a look in mid season, and end of season, it was completely empty.

It used to be used for storage though, rumours it was cleared out for shrek, and now just left empty?
Dormiens-Dave

PeteB wrote: Nothing wrong with the ice show tent, and its huge!  I've heard from a former ents member that the tent is used as a (very well organised) storage warehouse, choca-bloc full of equipment, props and theming. They would have to find somewhere else to store all that if they moved CoS in there.  For that reason, and none other, I doubt it would happen.
Well thats what used to be said about the BH tent yet it was used. I imagine they dont use the old ice tent for a scaremaze as its smack bang in the middle of a childrens area!

I worked as an ents member for Christmas and it had the battle galleons in it but other than that completely empty.  It is covered in signs that say do not enter this building is condemned which I would have thought they'd take down if not true.  And when we had the snow it looked like it could collapse any minute!
oldgitBEN

Im not too fussed about the condition of the tent (as we heard it all before with BH tent) but I would say the biggest issue with having CoS in the ice tent is the location, last year the farm had some excellent family scarefest attractions that were amazing, I dont think mixing one of the scare mazes and the family stuff is a good idea, and for that reason I dont think it would happen.

Im hoping that after many rather stagnant years, and a rather turbulent and controversial move to all park attractions that Alton take this year as a fresh start, and want to grow with the event.

I think in reality we will get:

ToTT - but hopefully with a full storyline, and perhaps a new ending - while the strobe is very good we've had it 3 (maybe 4) years now.

CoS - new location - perhaps the lawns? - alton love a good marquee, stick on up anywhere really.

Nemesis - small walk through in the plaza below nemeis - replacing the Zombie zone, playing up to the new rides and spreading the attractions

Duel: Live - rather than failteen after farce, sorry 13 after dark. - Or even just actors around the park.

Freaky Farm - back, it was epic

--

Hotels - Field to Return! The hotels desperately need something back, and this was always the jewel in the scarefest crown, for the love of god, lets look sensibly alton.

--

Pricing, I think alot of people were unhappy about the paid mazes being on park, which was understandable. But adding a few extra small improvements (while leaving CoS as upcharge) would make it seem less harsh. If it was £6 for CoS or Field, then it leaves the choice to guests both on AND off resort. Then with a £10 dual ticket might get people after leaving the park too, if they saw it as a separate attraction.

Also it would allow ToTT and CoS to run through the day, and Field to run late afternoon - evening and share the staffing levels out abit more too.

--

I say this, but I expect none of it to happen.
James

The type of tent that would be perfect to host COS, and could be put on the lawns is the tent/big top used during the Chocolate Towers event in 2007: