Scarefest 2012: General Discussion (Spoiler Warning)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
TowersJake

[quote=""SIMR""]Not necessarily about the mazes, but this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlyEiT4I ... re=related , is an amazing effect and Six Flags impressed me with it, and it should definitely be done to the rapids next year, perhaps Flume too - imagine riding through Katanga in blood red waves![/quote]

Would be pretty amazing i have to say, is it a layer on the base of the rapids which gives it the effect it is bloody, because if it isnt alton wouldnt colour all of the water as it would be too much to maintain.

ATJakee Youtube Channel !
Twisted the Clown

Carnival of Screams should move back to the hotel, I did like this maze but, I didn't like the rooms used - it seemed too much like a school gym/locker room layout in places. Also they seemed a bit short on actors when we went through?

BH I thought was ok. Would have kept it, but added more actors (or had a smaller group size).

TOTT was great. Queues were without a lie absolutely horrendous, though, & I had hypothermia at the end of the day. They need shelter. And they should stop with that **** with allowing people to pay £5 to jump the queue. Like we haven't payed enough to get in with a Scarefest package already?!

Zombies! was good for what it was. I liked it. They should bring it back + utilise some unused space and have more scare zones next year.

Also I agree with this. AT need to cut the prices. They could invest so much more than they are doing into Scarefest so I don't think the prices are justifiable! -->
coasterollie wrote:
HOTEL:
Needs a couple of mazes here. They can have an additional charge but they need to be free for Hotel Guests.
-Use the field again. Maybe not for another Field of 1000 Screams. But an outdoor corn maze would be good.
-Another maze. Either outside next to the field of inside the conference room where Room 13 was.
-Scare Rooms need to be cheaper. £350 (minimum) for ONE night is daylight robbery. Nothing like that can be worth that amount of money.

Other quick notes:
-More actors. There's nothing worse in a maze than a long period where nothing happens. More actors means more changes to get scares and makes mazes more intense.
-Street Theatre. Or roaming characters. Things like Musical Ruth and people dressed up interacting with guests as they walk round the park.
All the kids have random stains on their skin
And if they scratch at all
Their fingers dig into their flesh...
Whose idea was this?
starbugger1303

I'd love to see something like this return!

Obviously in a different location. :D
stretchy

What I think that Towers should do for 2012

1) Invite external companies/films to sponsor and/or create scare mazes. Towers is big enough to have at least 15 scare mazes inside it. Every Halloween you get a couple of horror films being released at the cinema. These films, I am sure, are looking for advertising. What better advertising than the <insert scary movie name here> maze at Alton towers. But not only that. Say if there is a new Tin Tin Film coming out, the tin tin teeny scare zone (aimed at 10-13 yr olds) would be way cool.

2) Have over12 areas of the park after dark, i.e. forbidden valley. Where the whole area is a scare zone. With fog machines and red pulsating lighting and worshipers of Nemesis wandering around praising and every so often joining together in a circle and dancing around the fallen engine, getting passers by to join in.

3) Run it for the whole of October.

4) Have more shows. Invite the cast of the Rocky Horror Show to perform or the little shop of horros etc.

5) Open till the witching hour on Saturday and Sunday.

6) Every area should look exceptional after dark. Katanya Canyon paths to and from the main area are perfect examples of how to do this. Dark Forest is a perfect example how not to do it.

7) Do a deal with The BBC to bring Dr Who to the park. Daleks and Cybermen wandering the park would be soooooo cooool.

8) Add a 3d archetectural projection show every evening using the towers.

9) Have the park go over 12 between 9pm and close and have the scares increased proportionally.
[url=http://"http://www.stretchedmindz.com"]Image[/url]

[url=http://"http://www.secretsantaelf.co.uk"]Image[/url]
NinjuraiPhoenix

I loved Scarefest 2011. I went twice and the second time they had improved Carnival of Screams a lot.
The Scare Room was incredible.
I made a movie of it which is on page 112 and 113 of the Scarefest 2011 forum.
or click here:

The Zombie Scare zone was great but on the short size.

What Alton Need to do is take it to the next level...
A zombie chase game around THE WHOLE PARK.
Here's a trailer for my sequel to the Scare Room movie. It will give you an idea of what i'm talking about...
Last edited by NinjuraiPhoenix on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NinjuraiPhoenix

Here is the sequel to the Scare Room Movie

3 Days after the Scare Room
6 friends take on their biggest challenge...

The Zombie Apocalypse

Can you imagine something like this at Scarefest 2012?
jackgcse

I feel that the pay mazes should be positioned outside the park, because it felt like an experience to unusually go to the hotels; however that feeling was lost and instead replaced by queues and lacklustre mazes. I believe they plan to remove boiler house, I don’t feel they should get rid of it for 2012 however it needs to be severely altered, My opinion on the situation of BH and COS is that they are both half hearted mazes and feels as if they should both be longer therefore Scarefest should come up with a story that develops both Mazes together to create an un miss able show, because it feels as if TOTT if far too long to be free and COS and BH are far too short for the price! Last time I went I had the idea that they could create a maze that goes in with the theme of Holiday/Caravan Park, therefore could be Alton Caravan Park...Of course the caravans are on their last legs and everything is not all it seems to be, Using the old field of 1000 screams site and props you could create a whole caravan park including accommodation, kids club area (Carnival of screams) and the boiler house area that runs the site.
Sorry if you read this whilst laughing but you have to think what Alton could do with the space, and what would fit in with the theme!
Just one thought for Halloween 2012, I am sure you all have you own, but I am a strong believer in my idea, although it is hard to explain in words.
oldgitBEN

so with todays breaking news that the Black Hole tent is to be removed from the park, where does this leave the park for scarefest?

Perhaps we will now finally get a nice compromise of on park and also on resort mazes.

Park:
ToTT
Zombies
Circus of Screams -  new location

Hotels:
New maze - perhaps time for Field to make a triumphant rerturn?
Another zombies style mini-attraction, no fee for hotel guests.

--

Simples, no?
joshc807

stretchy wrote: What I think that Towers should do for 2012

1) Invite external companies/films to sponsor and/or create scare mazes. Towers is big enough to have at least 15 scare mazes inside it. Every Halloween you get a couple of horror films being released at the cinema. These films, I am sure, are looking for advertising. What better advertising than the <insert scary movie name here> maze at Alton towers. But not only that. Say if there is a new Tin Tin Film coming out, the tin tin teeny scare zone (aimed at 10-13 yr olds) would be way cool.

2) Have over12 areas of the park after dark, i.e. forbidden valley. Where the whole area is a scare zone. With fog machines and red pulsating lighting and worshipers of Nemesis wandering around praising and every so often joining together in a circle and dancing around the fallen engine, getting passers by to join in.

3) Run it for the whole of October.

4) Have more shows. Invite the cast of the Rocky Horror Show to perform or the little shop of horros etc.

5) Open till the witching hour on Saturday and Sunday.

6) Every area should look exceptional after dark. Katanya Canyon paths to and from the main area are perfect examples of how to do this. Dark Forest is a perfect example how not to do it.

7) Do a deal with The BBC to bring Dr Who to the park. Daleks and Cybermen wandering the park would be soooooo cooool.

8) Add a 3d archetectural projection show every evening using the towers.

9) Have the park go over 12 between 9pm and close and have the scares increased proportionally.
As great as that would be, it will never ever ever happen.
Dcarts2412

Who reckons that the mazes will be in the Black Hole Tent again this year? I found my experience of Carnival Of Screams better in the tent than on the field/carparks however i felt that boiler could of been improved so much more this year compared to last year!
ATJoseph

Who reckons that the mazes will be in the Black Hole Tent again this year?
They cant becase the new ride or Sw7 is going in there sorry and not only that
but they said the boiler house will not be returning
oldgitBEN

Dcarts2412 wrote: Who reckons that the mazes will be in the Black Hole Tent again this year? I found my experience of Carnival Of Screams better in the tent than on the field/carparks however i felt that boiler could of been improved so much more this year compared to last year!
Its forgiveable to have missed the TT News article on TT, Facebook and Twitter, and to have missed the SW7 Discussion topic which started its 2nd part today - all regarding the news that the black hole tent is to be removed.
Its perhaps not as forgiveable as to not even read the post 2 above yours also mentioning it.
Dcarts2412

Its forgiveable to have missed the TT News article on TT, Facebook and Twitter, and to have missed the SW7 Discussion topic which started its 2nd part today - all regarding the news that the black hole tent is to be removed.
Its perhaps not as forgiveable as to not even read the post 2 above yours also mentioning it.

[/quote]

I saw the article, i was just thinking if they were to just put them in for Scarefest 2012 then start the construction for the new ride after but that wouldn't work. Now i have read it again I understand where you are coming from. However Boiler House may return as it was only a post from them on twitter and the Hamble Twins could always break out of prison again next year.
ATJoseph

Why The boiler house was a failing attration anyways
why bring it back?
Vladimir Bobinski

Seconds after coming out of the Circus of Screams a mother asked me was it too scary for her kids to go on, they must have been 10 or so had just come out of the Towers themselves.  My honest answer was if you've done the towers the two mazes under the black hole tent were a cake walk.

I could not believe how disappointed i was with scarefest 2011 after 2010, yes it was great they brought the mazes inside the grounds and extended the hours to combat the queues,  I completely approved.  But ultimately the quality of the experience suffered. 

I felt the boiler house, which in 2010 I thought was the clear stand out, gave such a unique experience especially with the open yard setting at the start under the evening starry sky.  You lost touch with where you actually were.  The circus lost out on the wider open rooms the previous set-up had provided.

Quite simply it will take a lot to convince to pay again this year around.  It's a shame really.
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Vladimir Bobinski wrote: Seconds after coming out of the Circus of Screams a mother asked me was it too scary for her kids to go on, they must have been 10 or so had just come out of the Towers themselves.  My honest answer was if you've done the towers the two mazes under the black hole tent were a cake walk.

I could not believe how disappointed i was with scarefest 2011 after 2010, yes it was great they brought the mazes inside the grounds and extended the hours to combat the queues,  I completely approved.  But ultimately the quality of the experience suffered. 

I felt the boiler house, which in 2010 I thought was the clear stand out, gave such a unique experience especially with the open yard setting at the start under the evening starry sky.  You lost touch with where you actually were.  The circus lost out on the wider open rooms the previous set-up had provided.

Quite simply it will take a lot to convince to pay again this year around.  It's a shame really.
If you are following the SW7 story, SW7 could be in the Black Hole Tent, but there are doubts whether the boiler house will return next year, as the Hamble Twins were "captured".
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
Voke

ATJoseph wrote: Why The boiler house was a failing attration anyways
why bring it back?
How was The Boiler House failing last year? It had a queue every-time I walked past, and people seemed to generally come out with a smile upon their face. I thought TBH was a little better last year than The Carnival Of Screams, mainly due to the length and scares that it delivered. :) 
Vladimir Bobinski

Stelios7 wrote:
Vladimir Bobinski wrote: Seconds after coming out of the Circus of Screams a mother asked me was it too scary for her kids to go on, they must have been 10 or so had just come out of the Towers themselves.  My honest answer was if you've done the towers the two mazes under the black hole tent were a cake walk.

If you are following the SW7 story, SW7 could be in the Black Hole Tent, but there are doubts whether the boiler house will return next year, as the Hamble Twins were "captured".
I wasn't aware of the Hamble twins story having that ending, but I was certainly aware of the rumours of the tent being removed for SW7. Mind, I haven't seen any planning application going through yet.

That being said rumours or more, it doesn't really take away from my thoughts on my experience of Scarefest 2011.  It could have been any temporary structure.
Randomizer462

Scarefest will be running from Wednesday 17th October 2012-Wednesday 31st October 2012, Is it me or do these dates look like a Shorter Scarefest?
Source- http://www.altontowers.com/events/openi ... mepark-oct
NastyPasty

Doesn't look too short to me. :D

I'd like to see CoS again. It was a quirky attraction. Bit more intensity and they've nailed it.
New maze? To be honest, Scarefest could be a lot bigger. As suggested, a few IPs could run individual mazes. And I'd like to see something in the valley. It's creepy at day. At night, they could add all kinds of cool things.
Keep on whistlin', folks.