The future of Nemesis.....

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.

Has The Smiler Taken Nemesis's crown?

Yes
13%
No
45%
50/50
14%
They are different types of coasters
28%

Total votes: 149
Fish777

was just looking in an old topic, dont know why, but i found this from 2003.
I wonder if those calling for its demolition would feel the same in 10 yrs time when a new breed of riders start calling for the axing of Nemesis as it reaches the ripe old age of 20.
NOT GONNA HAPPEN!
Stern John

Using the recently uploaded TT aerial pic from 1994 I have planned out the old queueline, it was massive!
theparklifekid

Was thinking about how kings island in the US is getting a new B&M invert, which features new wingrider style restraints, if this is a success could nemesis have these trains?

Here is what they look like
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/U1Eq0QyVEcc/hqdefault.jpg
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
DeanGaryCox

Can't see it going anywhere soon... if maintained well, it is still alton towers best coaster, and the best one in the UK after 20 years, that's saying something right!
Last edited by DeanGaryCox on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image 2014
scw55

It's also Iconic.

I grew up when Nemesis WAS the face of Alton towers.

It's lasted 20 years. It can last 20 more.
BenBowser

Alton's facebook says, nothing is happening for 2014 and nemesis' 20th, but that they will do a Vampire and Corkscrew and celebrate its 21st next year...
Themeparksandy1981

What do you think is the shelf life of them 2 trains when you think Corkscrew got new one's when it was 15 years old?
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPATH10

Stern John wrote: Using the recently uploaded TT aerial pic from 1994 I have planned out the old queueline, it was massive!
Most of that is redundant, some just disused, and some transferred to Nemesis Sub-Terra, it is one straight queue now, which to be honest is better, as the queues rarely get halfway round the current queue, due to the high through-put. But we must take into account, when the ride was built, it was the first of it's kind in the UK and Europe, so they would be expecting high queuing numbers due to the fact it is new, but as time has gone by, less people ride it, due to their unwillingness to wait "too long."
theparklifekid wrote: Was thinking about how kings island in the US is getting a new B&M invert, which features new wingrider style restraints, if this is a success could nemesis have these trains?

Here is what they look like
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/U1Eq0QyVEcc/hqdefault.jpg
I don't think they would suit Nemesis, the current restraints depict, to me, more of a tight grip from the Nemesis alien, where as those would depict, again to me, a comfortable hug from the Nemesis alien.
Last edited by CPATH10 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeanGaryCox

I don't think we should read too much in to the restraints in regards to the storyline, don't think that will make any difference  ;)

But I mean, there's a possibility that if Alton are planning are keeping this ride for another 10 years or more, and if the new restraint system is popular, and would be compatible on new trains with an old B&M invert like Nemmy, then I wouldn't rule it out happening.

But still very unlikely, just like Colossus getting some decent trains with lapbars and more legroom.
Last edited by DeanGaryCox on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image 2014
lf2001

I don't get why they won't hold a special event or something for the 20th birthday? It's probably the most popular ride at the resort, surely they'd do something?
Last edited by lf2001 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan

lf2001 wrote: I don't get why they won't hold a special event or something for the 20th birthday? It's probably the most popular ride at the resort, surely they'd do something?
I think that they were planning on it, but more than likely for budget reasons they have pushed it back til next season and gave the reason that they want to celebrate her 21st in style.

It kind of makes sense in that a humans 21st is a big occasion but generally coasters have round-number birthdays celebrated.
Themeparksandy1981

I would love for it's 21st Birthday to get a rebrand. The monster itself is in a bad state and needs replacing with a new 1 but this time after 21 years it's now trying to escape. The staff need to be dressed like Sub Terra staff and around the pits they should include its escaped babies.
electricBlll_Returns

Stern John wrote: Using the recently uploaded TT aerial pic from 1994 I have planned out the old queueline, it was massive!
Sorry to be pedantic but your graphic is incorrect, here's a plan I made of the old queue as it appeared in 1996.

The blue path shows the 1996 queue before it was shortened (4 hours+). The pink line is how it stands now, with the dashed parts representing what's left of area three (which is rarely used today). Notice how what is now the access road going up to the monorail depot used to be more queue, and at some point a connecting path was built around the back of the first drop.

Interestingly this aerial photo from 1994 shows that the two queue extensions on top of the hill didn't exist when the ride first opened!

Last edited by electricBlll_Returns on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin

Nemesis is still a beast of a ride (for want of a better word)
She is still my favourite ride on park.
Although having visited the park 6 times last season,I think she is getting a bit head bangy.
The restraints are very stinky,but I suppose after 20yrs,with so many people using them it's to be expected.
I do hope she gets a well earned tidy up during closed season.
New restraints would be nice,and a lick of paint here and there.
She will still be with us for another 10yrs at least,in my opinion.

By the way I remember those original queue lines,and they were killer queues.
But well worth the wait back then.
Couldn't see me queuing that long these days.
BOW TIES ARE COOL!
stealthsmiler

I agree Nemmy was a bit head bangy and could do with a lick of paint. They could have at least given her new seats and restraints for her 20th b-day
bensaund

I guess they have a lot going on with The Smiler and CBEEBIES, that would have swallowed up any maintenance budgets. We had a lot spent on the park last year with The Smiler, Oblivion re-paint and they are spending a lot this year.

The good thing about Nemmy is it is still as good as it was on day 1 and it is also a very reliable ride, it has never broken down on me on nearly 40 visits to the park which is a lot that can be said about other rides at UK parks. As long as they do the essential maintenance, then I will be happy with it. You never know when SW8 is built it could be in FV and we could see a cash injection in this area as Ripsaw and The Blade are due to go... watch this space I guess
If you go down to the woods today
RCandrew

I have never read anything about this on here so am just wanting to hear people's ideas :lol

If Nemesis were to break, or just come to the end of its life, what do you think would happen?
Would they replace it with the exact same coaster but brand new?
Would they build a new invert in the valley?
Would they build a complete new roller coaster in the valley?
Would they completely re-do the whole place?
Would they leave it there as a gigantic theming element?
Let's hear your theories or what you would want :D :)
Themeparksandy1981

RCandrew wrote:I have never read anything about this on here so am just wanting to hear people's ideas :lol

If Nemesis were to break, or just come to the end of its life, what do you think would happen?
Every ride has a shelf life and 1 day it will come to Nemesis but if the park can keep flat rides like the blade and twirling toadstools which are older than me then I can't see Nemesis going to they run out of room to build coasters elsewhere. The biggest question will be which SW coaster they would remove first but that's for another topic.
lf2001

RCandrew wrote:I have never read anything about this on here so am just wanting to hear people's ideas :lol

They'd probably add the next SW there. I'd like them to keep it themed around Nemesis and the alien, so people can still remember the great ride that once stood there.
NemesisRider

They will not take down Nemesis and it will not break. Nemesis is between the 4th and 7th best roller coaster in the world. Ever. Why replace it? If it was removed it would cause the removal of Sub-terra, retheming of Nemesis Inferno and a retheme of Forbidden valley.

I bet the next SW is themed around Nemesis. I would like a stand-up, to contrast with your feet almost hitting the ground they could have near misses around the head area.

A good, giant piece of theming would be a working electric coil that glows and become electric every so often, like the Swarm's fire element. The ride could then be themed around another Phalanx research facility, destroyed by Nemesis. It would viable as Thorpe's Nemmy Inferno is a volcano Nemesis supposedly activated.

They removed the tables around the Air shop a support could go there and the track of Air could intertwine with SW8's. The ride has to have good theming, I would like more destruction in Forbidden valley.