A General Census

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
jackgriffin7

What's your favorite themed area? - Dark Forest (Closely followed by Mutiny Bay!)

What's your favorite coaster? - Air/Rita (Actually cannot decide!)

What's your favorite ride (non-coaster) ? - Hex

What's your favorite piece of music at the park? - Hmm. Tie between ITHOTMK and Th13teen.

If you could have a new coaster at the park, where would you like to see it? - X-Sector

If you could have a new flat ride at the park, where would you like to see it? - Dark Forest

If you could put anything in the vacant Black Hole tent, what would you put in it? - Some kind of top research facility ride including pre-show. (Very Disney/Universal)

Would you like to see the tree height-restrictions removed so they could build taller rides? - No, it's what makes Alton Towers unique and makes them take a different approach into designing rides. Becuase of the restriction the rides are more creative such as Oblivion's hole and Nemesis' pit!

and finally

If you had one unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way, what would you do? - Build a third hotel and create an entertainment complex similar to Downtown Disney etc. It would include cinema, bowling, better entertainment and shops etc. Also including an entrance/exit to the park at the end of Forbidden Valley exclusively for hotel guests.
ponder

What's your favorite themed area? - Katanga Kanyon - despite it's age, it always seems to retain the Towers magic.

What's your favorite coaster? - Nemesis

What's your favorite piece of music at the park? - Hex

If you could have a new coaster at the park, where would you like to see it? - Cross valley.

If you could have a new flat ride at the park, where would you like to see it? - Dark Forest or X Sector.

If you could put anything in the vacant Black Hole tent, what would you put in it? - Screamin' Swing in the dark with effects ;)

Would you like to see the tree height-restrictions removed so they could build taller rides? - Yes, in some areas of the park.

and finally

If you had one unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way, what would you do?

Have them concentrate more on the escapism and less on upselling and money grabbing.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
captain

What's your favorite themed area? - Katanga Kanyon - feels like one of the only areas in the park that's vaguely immersive, although even then I'm not sure how successful it is.

What's your favorite coaster? - Nemesis, but I think Air is creeping up on it.

What's your favorite ride (non-coaster) ? - Probably the Rapids.

What's your favorite piece of music at the park? - Either Katanga or Mutiny Bay, but I admit to not going out of my way to notice it.

If you could have a new coaster at the park, where would you like to see it? - Cross valley.

If you could have a new flat ride at the park, where would you like to see it? - Probably Dark Forest, but so many of the old ones need replacing I don't know if that's the correct answer.

If you could put anything in the vacant Black Hole tent, what would you put in it? - A coaster - I loved the look of that upside-down launched Maurer.

Would you like to see the tree height-restrictions removed so they could build taller rides? - I don't think so, but who knows what could happen.

If you had one unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way, what would you do? - Not particularly unique but concentrate on repairing, repainting rides, adding theming and improving rides - actually make the park immersive. If they create a new land, I really hope they don't install the standard block paving. For me that ruins half the themes instantly.
[align=center]Santa Clara[/align]
SIMR

What's your favorite themed area? Katanga Canyon. Everything from the big rock sign to the bell on RMT is perfect.

What's your favorite coaster? Nemesis

What's your favorite ride (non-coaster)? I had to think about it, but Duel, closely followed by CRR and Ripsaw.

What's your favorite piece of music at the park? Katanga Canyon (New version)

If you could have a new coaster at the park, where would you like to see it? The Flume site down to Gloomy Wood perhaps, after seeing The Flume ripped out :twisted:

If you could have a new flat ride at the park, where would you like to see it? Dark Forest

If you could put anything in the vacant Black Hole tent, what would you put in it? Top Scan WITH lights and effects. Otherwise, nothing.

Would you like to see the tree height-restrictions removed so they could build taller rides? Not completely, but I think they should be allowed to do what they did with Rita and be able to paint any track over tree height green (obviously not too far over, perhaps a 20-30ft margin)

If you had one unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way, what would you do? Forget about making money and churning out crappy rides for a day. Get their behind-the-scenes staff together, marketing, design etc. and take them to the park and make them look at the theming and atmosphere on the classic rides e.g. Nemesis and Oblivion. It might give them an idea of the magic behind the rides that Alton's recent ones lack.
Blaze

What's your favorite themed area? - X-Sector

What's your favorite piece of music at the park? - Nemesis theme

If you could have a new coaster at the park, where would you like to see it? - Tent

If you could have a new flat ride at the park, where would you like to see it? - X-Sector

If you could put anything in the vacant Black Hole tent, what would you put in it? - See above/Coaster

Would you like to see the tree height-restrictions removed so they could build taller rides? - Never

and finally

If you had one unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way, what would you do? - Replace all the major flats and create an entertainment district/more night entertainment.
John

What's your favourite themed area? - Katanga Canyon

What's your favourite coaster? - Nemesis

What's your favourite ride (non-coaster) ? - Rapids

What's your favourite piece of music at the park? - Hex soundtrack

If you could have a new coaster at the park, where would you like to see it? - Cross valley (either a woodie or a hyper)

If you could have a new flat ride at the park, where would you like to see it? - Dark Forest - it needs more rides (I'd say it needs 2 more rides)

If you could put anything in the vacant Black Hole tent, what would you put in it? - Mack spiral lift hill coaster, basically a mini-Eurosat

Would you like to see the tree height-restrictions removed so they could build taller rides? - yes, I'd love to see something like EGF sticking out over the trees

If you had one unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way, what would you do? - more events throughout the year (similar to the program offered by Europa Park)
Jammydodger

What's your favourite themed area?
Gloomy Woods, Because its a theme very few other parks are capable of doing.

What's your favourite coaster?
Air/Oblivion. Nemesis is a fantastic coaster, and yeah its thrilling. But Air and Oblivion are Experiences, They give you feelings you won't get on any other of the parks rides

What's your favourite ride (non-coaster)?
Hex, Its definately the worlds best Vekoma Madhouse in my opinion

What's your favourite piece of music at the park?
Air. It's incredibly nostalgic, and avoids the cliches of Theme Park music that are often really common.

If you could have a new coaster at the park, where would you like to see it?
I'd like to see the X-Sector expand. The area just seems so bare, and thats even with the tent there, it still needs another coaster imo.

If you could have a new flat ride at the park, where would you like to see it?
Dark Forest could use a good flat

If you could put anything in the vacant Black Hole tent, what would you put in it?
A Gerstlauer Eurofighter, if they dug out a hole to fit the drop, and kept the track tight. But I dunno, its not very likely.

Would you like to see the tree height-restrictions removed so they could build taller rides?
As a one off, like Stealth, yeah. But only if it were for the sake of making the worlds Tallest ride, otherwise I don't think it'd be worth it. Simply because Alton deal in unique, and worlds firsts, not second best. With all respect to them, thats what Thorpe Park is there for.

If you had one unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way, what would you do?
Restructure their staffing effeciency. On quiter days, have excess staff start periodic maintanence routines such as painting fences, Touching up theming, Testing sound systems, Dusting/vacuuming the stations etc.
When a ride is expected to be down for an excessive period, put a sign up at the entrance, and instead of having 4 people stood outisde chatting, and getting asked the same question a million times, they could be doing something much more cost effective.
Sometimes its absolutely cringeworthy to see how much money they just fritter away on labour costs, having people stood there doing pretty much nothing.
A5H

What's your favorite themed area? - Dark Forest

What's your favorite ride (non-coaster) ? - Ripsaw

What's your favorite piece of music at the park? - Katanga Canyon Theme (New Version)

If you could have a new coaster at the park, where would you like to see it? - The Flume Site, preferably something like Poseidon!

If you could have a new flat ride at the park, where would you like to see it? - Dark Forest

If you could put anything in the vacant Black Hole tent, what would you put in it? - An intamin drop tower, with the same options as Apocalypse at Drayton Manor with sit down, stand up, stand up floorless.

Would you like to see the tree height-restrictions removed so they could build taller rides? - YES!

and finally

If you had one unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way, what would you do? - A few more thrill rides (like Thorpe Park with Slammer, Rush, etc.) and a general lick of paint and some attention to some of the warn out theming around the park!
RustyRider

Glad to help

What's your favorite themed area? - Dark forest

What's your favorite ride (non-coaster) ? - Flume/rapids

What's your favorite piece of music at the park? - oblivion theme track, surprised it's only been mentioned once!

If you could have a new coaster at the park, where would you like to see it? - On the air car park, just because I'd love a new area to explore :)

If you could have a new flat ride at the park, where would you like to see it? - Submission replacement.

If you could put anything in the vacant Black Hole tent, what would you put in it? -Rush @ tp but with lights and effects! Would be sublime.

Would you like to see the tree height-restrictions removed so they could build taller rides? -Simple answer...No!

and finally

If you had one unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way, what would you do? - get Alton towers to get each willing member off ttf an industrial steam cleaner to spruce up the park during closed season each year, in exchange for merlin annual passes :D
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.
Ollie16

What's your favorite themed area? - Dark Forest

What's your favorite coaster? - Th13teen

What's your favorite ride (non-coaster) ? - Duel

What's your favorite piece of music at the park? - Duels theme

If you could have a new coaster at the park, where would you like to see it? - Gloomy Wood

If you could put anything in the vacant Black Hole tent, what would you put in it? - Bear with me on this... Remember Black Revolver from Drayton Manor, well, place it on a track, like a dark transit system, but with lifts and small bunny hops. Loads of lights, lasers etc.

Would you like to see the tree height-restrictions removed so they could build taller rides? -Naaa

and finally

If you had one unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way, what would you do? - Remove fast track....or make it so expensive no one uses it.
What he said.
TurboJ

What's your favorite themed area?
Katanga Canyon. It's a difficult choice, but I've always loved the consistency of the theme.

What's your favorite coaster?
Nemesis, no doubt.

What's your favorite ride (non-coaster) ?
Hex. As much as I love Duel for its competitiveness, nothing can beat the atmosphere of the country's best dark ride.

What's your favorite piece of music at the park?
Ooooh, I hate having to choose! I guess it's a toss up between the Air, Hex and Cloud Cuckoo Land themes.
Air's is just surreal and rather catchy in my opinion.
Hex's has it all; the drama, the intensity and the big crescendo.
Cloud Cuckoo Land's has that special something. I listen to it, and feel as though the Alton magic has returned.

If you could have a new coaster at the park, where would you like to see it?
[s:3tzfxtgn]CROSS VALLEY WOODIE[/s:3tzfxtgn]
X-Sector desperately needs something modern to back up Oblivion.

If you could have a new flat ride at the park, where would you like to see it?
Dark Forest. It feels empty without a flat ride.

If you could put anything in the vacant Black Hole tent, what would you put in it?
Either a modern rollercoaster with a similar layout to the Jet Star II, or a dark ride set in an abandoned testing facility (think Portal. VERY MUCH PORTAL)

Would you like to see the tree height-restrictions removed so they could build taller rides?
Not at all. Without it Nemesis wouldn't have turned out as special.

It would involve a railway station near the hotels and the Churnet Valley Railway...
Last edited by TurboJ on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayTricky

Thank you people, some brilliant thoughtful answers. I appreciate it.

I was thinking of letting this linger a while longer, then counting up the answers - leading to a possible 'Towers Times Favourites' thread, showing what we have found to be the most popular answer for each question. It could be interesting to see.

I'll pick my favorite 5 answers for the last question and create a poll, letting the forum members decide their most favorite 'unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way' answer.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? Thoughts?
euan.monk.

What's your favorite themed area? - X-SECTOR

What's your favorite coaster? - Air

What's your favorite ride (non-coaster) ? - Ripsaw

What's your favorite piece of music at the park? - Air Music

If you could have a new coaster at the park, where would you like to see it? - Air Car Park

If you could put anything in the vacant Black Hole tent, what would you put in it? - 4D Cinema

Would you like to see the tree height-restrictions removed so they could build taller rides? - NO!

and finally

If you had one unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way, what would you do? - Stop the prices rising!
Nightfall

[quote=""JayTricky""]Thank you people, some brilliant thoughtful answers. I appreciate it.

I was thinking of letting this linger a while longer, then counting up the answers - leading to a possible 'Towers Times Favourites' thread, showing what we have found to be the most popular answer for each question. It could be interesting to see.

I'll pick my favourite 5 answers for the last question and create a poll, letting the forum members decide their most favourite 'unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way' answer.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? Thoughts?[/quote] I was thinking of typing out the most popular in a few days time anyway :P So yeah I think it's a good idea if you decide to do it :)
[align=center]Image[/align]
JayTricky

[quote=""Nightfall""][quote=""JayTricky""]Thank you people, some brilliant thoughtful answers. I appreciate it.

I'll pick my favourite 5 answers for the last question and create a poll, letting the forum members decide their most favourite 'unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way' answer.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? Thoughts?[/quote] I was thinking of typing out the most popular in a few days time anyway :P So yeah I think it's a good idea if you decide to do it :)[/quote]

I'll try and get round to it soon enough. Bit busy tomorrow, I'm being a traitor and going to Six Flags. Totally different from AT I can tell you... :lol:
mezza

What's your favorite themed area? Forbidden Valley

What's your favorite coaster? Nemesis - the best coaster in the world

What's your favorite ride (non-coaster) ? Congo River Rapids - great, well themed family fun

What's your favorite piece of music at the park? In The Hall Of The Mountain King (Towers Street) - the definitive piece of AT music

If you could have a new coaster at the park, where would you like to see it? Flume area. Time for the flume to go, and this is a big, undeveloped area of the park which allows pretty decent height

If you could have a new flat ride at the park, where would you like to see it? X-Sector

If you could put anything in the vacant Black Hole tent, what would you put in it? I wouldn't - I'd remove it and put a new coaster there

Would you like to see the tree height-restrictions removed so they could build taller rides? -No - adds to the park's character

and finally

If you had one unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way, what would you do? -[/quote] build an entertainment district (bars, cinema etc) between the hotels and the theme park
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
Mitch

What's your favorite themed area? - Farmyard

What's your favorite coaster? - Oblivion

What's your favorite piece of music at the park? - Hex theme.

If you could have a new coaster at the park, where would you like to see it? - In a new area, somewhere away from the other coasters, I think the Forbidden Valley corner would get a bit cramped if it went in the Air car park.

If you could have a new flat ride at the park, where would you like to see it? - N/A. As much as the Alton flats are lacking somewhat, I'd rather see them invest more in dark rides/experience rides. Just because Thorpe has a ton of flat rides it doesn't mean every other park has to. :wink:

If you could put anything in the vacant Black Hole tent, what would you put in it? - An elaborate dark ride of sorts. Something on the lines of Spiderman/DarKastle.

Would you like to see the tree height-restrictions removed so they could build taller rides? - No.

and finally

If you had one unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way, what would you do? - Bring back some of its originality flair it had in the 90s and PLEASE, no more world firsts! I think Th13teen has proven that world's firsts are turning from new experiences to new gimmicks. Look at Cedar Point for example, the second they stopped going for the world's tallest and fastest record, Maverick comes along, and that's widely regarded as their best coaster. In fact, I reckon a Maverick style coaster would be PERFECT for Alton. *hinthint*
peterjones1

What's your favorite themed area? - Gloomy Wood, would be even better if they had enough of a queue to re-open the graveyard and added plentiful mist effects.

What's your favorite coaster? - Oblivion

What's your favorite ride (non-coaster)? - Hex

What's your favorite piece of music at the park? - Previously Toyland Tours, now probably Hex

If you could have a new coaster at the park, where would you like to see it? - Cross valley

If you could have a new flat ride at the park, where would you like to see it? - X-Sector

If you could put anything in the vacant Black Hole tent, what would you put in it? - Bring the original back from Sweden dammit :lol:

Would you like to see the tree height-restrictions removed so they could build taller rides? - No. Check out the aerial shots of the park on this very site...it looks absolutely stunning and I adore the fact that in this photo (http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/ma ... bove22.jpg) you get a shot encompassing the whole park but can barely see a single ride. I wouldn't change that for the world. If anything add more trees to Dark Forest to actually make it darker!

If you had one unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way, what would you do? - Nothing unique or revolutionary, that's not what the park requires...it's the fundamentals that I want addressing. Paint fading? Re-paint it. Effects broken? Fix them. Get these things right and I'm more than happy.
RyanY

What's your favourite themed area? Dark Forest.

What's your favorite coaster? Nemesis.

What's your favorite ride (non-coaster) ? The Flume or Congo River Rapids.

What's your favorite piece of music at the park? Nemesis soundtrack or Air soundtrack.

If you could have a new coaster at the park, where would you like to see it? Either Air car park or The X-Sector.

If you could have a new flat ride at the park, where would you like to see it? Dark Forest or near Sonic Spinball (to soak up the massive Queues!)

If you could put anything in the vacant Black Hole tent, what would you put in it? A small scale Eurofighter (like Saw and Speed)

Would you like to see the tree height-restrictions removed so they could build taller rides? No because it add something to the park that no other has and just look how much better nemesis is because of the restrictions!

If you had one unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way, what would you do? Move it outside my house :D and add a better transport system ( I know neither is going to happan but both would be nice :D )
fredward

What's your favorite themed area? - Forbiddon Valley

What's your favorite ride (non-coaster) ? - Duel

What's your favorite piece of music at the park? - Duel's theme

If you could have a new coaster at the park, where would you like to see it? - I'm very keen on the Flume sight

If you could put anything in the vacant Black Hole tent, what would you put in it? - Compact multi- inverting coaster, perhaps Eurofighter

Would you like to see the tree height-restrictions removed so they could build taller rides? - Nope

and finally

If you had one unique idea to improve Alton Towers in some way, what would you do? - dunno. no ideas are particurly unique, because it's the boring add more theming and touch ups that the park needs the most.