Funny Things You've Overheard at Parks

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
TheJamesS

SIMR wrote:
RubberDinghyRapids wrote:
D4n wrote:Yesterday in the Oblivion queue I heard somebody call Congo River Rapids "Rubber Dinghy Rapids"... like, for real. <!-- s:P -->:P<!-- s:P -->
Wasn't me. 

simple

watch it all the way through lol

you not seen 3 lions lol
Last edited by TheJamesS on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Themeparksandy1981

The funniest thing involved me and a few of my M8's. We were queueing for Ripsaw (Yes when it first opened it had a big queue) and theses  2 lads joined the queue they asked us how much this ride cost to go on. With us all looking puzzled 1 of us said £3 and the lads left the line as he only had around £2 left. All day we were thinking they must have not gone on any rides that day unless someone told them all rides and attractions were included in the price.
TheJamesS

more to the point who took the rest of their money :lol: wonder how much they paid for the flume !
Rudge69

Not so much funny to be but my first time on thirteen i never knew it had a drop, we went into the darkness and some moron shouts, This is where it drops!. completely ruined it for me :(
ThemeParkObsessive
Location: Probably on TH13TEEN, but if not, watching The Inbetweeners

Rudge69 wrote: Not so much funny to be but my first time on thirteen i never knew it had a drop, we went into the darkness and some moron shouts, This is where it drops!. completely ruined it for me :(
Someone did the same to me! :(
http://www.facebook.com/UKThemeParkNews
http://www.youtube.com/ThemeParkObsessive

WARNING - I get angry if people say 'THE NEMESIS', 'THE AIR', 'THE OBLIVION', or 'THE RITA'. :@
scubahood

Not actually at Alton Towers but at Thorpe Park I was in the line for the far inferior Nemesis Inferno when a girl behind me starts spouting off facts about Stealth such as it rolls back every ten times and then that Thorpe Park had a competition for school children to design a ride and that was the design that won.
Instant Mix

D4n wrote: Yesterday in the Oblivion queue I heard somebody call Congo River Rapids "Rubber Dinghy Rapids"... like, for real. <!-- s:P -->:P<!-- s:P -->
I don't blame them , Four Lions was a hilarious film. Actually , I think I'm going to call it that from now on..

I haven't really heard anything silly from the queues , other than a bunch of black guys who jumped to the front of the single riders queue for Nemesis a few years ago , someone alerted one of the op's and they pulled the race card  :x
I thought they got chucked out but I then saw one of them on Oblivion's ride photo TVs
Last edited by Instant Mix on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jordanc44

In the queue for the monorail:

Guy: Shall we go on that one where you go in the hole first?
Girl 1: I don't know... what's that one called?
Guy: Errmm the black hole I think.
Girl 2: No its oblivion, it had its name changed a few years ago.

:roll:
2012- Alton Towers - 3 | Thorpe Park - 1 | Legoland - 1 | Chessington World of Adventures - 0 |
coastermaster

while queueing for thi13teen in 2010 i was 10 an these indians pushed in front of me an my mates an i said f off get back so they left the queue i heard the women say i didnt want to go on that b***dy corkscrew any way #-o facepalm
ZenakuShi

Not actually on a ride, but when walking through Gloomy Wood there was a group of maintenance staff infront, some obviously new. They were all winging about certain types of guests that they get. They got to a point when one was complaining that when all of us enthusiasts come all we do is strut about the place like we own it.

That was the moment when for some reason I say to them that we're not all that bad.
Nightfall

ZenakuShi wrote: Not actually on a ride, but when walking through Gloomy Wood there was a group of maintenance staff infront, some obviously new. They were all winging about certain types of guests that they get. They got to a point when one was complaining that when all of us enthusiasts come all we do is strut about the place like we own it.

That was the moment when for some reason I say to them that we're not all that bad.
Ah yes the enthusiasts superiority complex... well when you know a place so well it kind of happens  :P

On this subject I’ve overheard allot of theme park “know it alls” that actually don’t know much at all. One of my mates is like this and insists on arguing with me because he’s been to Florida and I haven’t. "Look mate I know you’ve been there but the Tower of Terror is most definitely not at universal studios, it’s a Disney classic".
[align=center]Image[/align]
scubahood

Nightfall wrote:
ZenakuShi wrote: Not actually on a ride, but when walking through Gloomy Wood there was a group of maintenance staff infront, some obviously new. They were all winging about certain types of guests that they get. They got to a point when one was complaining that when all of us enthusiasts come all we do is strut about the place like we own it.

Ah yes the enthusiasts superiority complex... well when you know a place so well it kind of happens  :P

On this subject I’ve overheard allot of theme park “know it alls” that actually don’t know much at all. One of my mates is like this and insists on arguing with me because he’s been to Florida and I haven’t. "Look mate I know you’ve been there but the Tower of Terror is most definitely not at universal studios, it’s a Disney classic".
Haha that is a classic. I do hate people that pretend they know how to do Florida. I am a true Florida vet 20 years in the making lol
Mikkel

"The swarm reminds me of air"  :|
NickT04

Not what I overheard, but something I actually said which makes me chuckle thinking back! It was at the Scarefest in 2008 or 2009 and me and my friend were queuing for the Field of a 1000 Screams at about 10pm when my Mum rung:

Mum: "Where are you now then?"
Me: "We're just queuing for the first maze!"
Mum: "Are there many people about?"
Me: "Yes Mum, I'm in a queue - of course there's people about!"

It made me and a few locals chuckle anyway!
dominoes

Waiting for Oblivion.
"It does a loop after it goes into the hole."
"Oh my god! That is so f*****g amazing!!!"
"Actally it doesn't."
""This ride is going to be s**t then..."
AdrenalineAlex

*on-ride Hex, American woman next to me while the ride is going 'upside-down'*
Woman (to her partner): How are we going upside-down but not falling out?! Have they sucked the gravity out?
Me: We're actually spinning so fast that gravity is pushing us into our seat, we're going so fast it seems like we're going rather slow.
Woman: *SPEECHLESS*
DanteNero666

Not really overheard at all but... When we were queuing for Charlie my younger brother, in good spirits asked the ride  attendant if, and I quote "Is this ride banging?" the guy simply replied "no" It was the funniest thing ever. Haha. 
Give me a coaster handshake!
djneice

DanteNero666 wrote: Not really overheard at all but... When we were queuing for Charlie my younger brother, in good spirits asked the ride  attendant if, and I quote "Is this ride banging?" the guy simply replied "no" It was the funniest thing ever. Haha.
haha, that really did make me laugh  :D
The Psychoaster

Overheard from some guys behind us in the Infusion queue at PBB last week (I know, I know but it was the coaster fix I needed) - "They have one like this at Alton Towers, I think it's called the Black Hole. There are like 9 loops on it, but I think this one is one of the best in the world [referring to Infusion]" Other guy - "it can't be the best, there's loads in Florida that are better than this." First guy - "Yeah but this is technically a water ride so it's different."

](*,)
Boz

lol i just remembered this one

When I was operating at Thorpe in 2005, it was mid September and Stealth was still a half completed construction site. I was operating storm in a tea cup when two chavs approached me (must have been at least 13-14 years old), and asked me if that (pointing at stealth construction), would be opened today?
Now i thought this could be a wind up, but they were dead serious. Going along with what i thought was a joke, i told them yeah it should be open at four :hano:
they actually came back at four o'clock and were very annoyed that it wasn't opened yet. i had to explain to them how long it takes to build a coaster, and that i didn't understand how they could possibly believe that a coaster, who's track wasn't even complete yet, could possibly be ready to open on the same day :?
i got a complaint issued against me at guest services, but it was worth to tell a couple of retarded chavs how unbelievably stupid they were 8)