Funny Things You've Overheard at Parks

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
glittabones

Mentioned this in another thread, but I had a kid queueing in front of me for Galactica and he thought the VR was a video of the ride itself.  :lol
Dungeon-X-Smile

Ok so I was on swarm and there was about 5 people, all dressed like Toy Story characters. Just as swarm was nearing the top of the first hill, someone yelled “Andy’s coming!”
Swarm Chris

I saw them too at the doughnuts, brilliant!

Heard something less funny earlier, which was on Vampire at the station, someone said they wanted to sit in the middle.
Swarm Chris

Not heard, but saw. The safety notice on the back of the Colossus seats:

"Please keep arms and legs inside the train and on the floor at all times."

So we've all been riding it wrong... :-k
Jack

I didn't realise it was possible to lift your legs off the floor on Colossus to be honest :lol
Dungeon-X-Smile

It's not so much as 'overheard' as an experience, but I think it's funny enough to count. There are so many hilarious quotes I don't even think I could choose one. 

I went to a little, remote scare park in America one year. It was normally a ski resort, but in October they open haunts. Half of the park was on one side of the car park, while the other was on the other side, with a small pathway and a single maze connecting them. My best friend, her family, my mum and I decided to go, but my best friend's little sister, who was only about 5 at the time, (after braving hanging out by the mazes for most of the night) had had enough and wanted to go back to the car, so my friend's mum and dad was taking her back to the car, leaving my mum, friend and I to do one more maze before joining them. We were walking back to the car when I came eye to eye with a roaming actor who had been disgusting himself in a crowd of terrified girls and had a knife he was sharpening. Thinking back on it, the sharpening sounded terrifyingly real. At this time, I had a real fear of roaming actors, and had trying to stay away (or at least hide my levels of fear) from them for the entire night, but since it was late, and I was tired, I was done. I just legged it at my top speed to the car, which I could see by this point. The actor ran, too, chasing me all the way to the car. Now, at this point, my friend had decided to take a different route, she wanted to get pictures with all the actors, so she started running after the actor, seeing if she could get his picture, but he was dead set on me, so she gave up pretty soon. Anyway, so I leapt in my friend's car, screaming to my friend's family "Lock the doors!! Lock the doors!! There's an actor chasing me!! There's an actor chasing me!!" They didn't believe me. There were a few seconds of me acting completely insane while her parents try to calm me until bam!! The actor leaps up on the car window, banging it, knife still in his hand, switching to the other side of the car after about half a minute. My mum's friend instantly leaps out, screaming at the actor "There's a five year old in the back!!" and trying to shoo him away, meanwhile my mum and friend are just laughing their heads off a few feet back, watching the carnage unfold. According to my mum after, the actor had hid behind another car, and was waiting for our car to pull out, when he realised that we weren't leaving, and decided to come to the car itself. Another hilarious thing was that my friend's dad said on the way home "I was going to role down the window."

But honestly, the most scary and hilarious line from it all came from a few days ago when my mum and I were reminiscing about the entire event. She said "He looked pretty disappointed as he walked away." Shivers me to the core while tickling my funny bone. 
Nutty Man

I just love it on Hex when someone goes up to the ride operator at the turnstiles wearing a hat and says " will I need to take my cap off?" :lol
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
ThemeCrafter264

I had to convince my dad earlier this week that most coaters are not powered coasters and instead rely on gravity. Still doesn't fully believe me though...
Piplup2003

I went on a school trip to AT a few months ago and overheard something on the coach before we got off:

Teacher: 'I'm going to go on the log flume, I saw they were doing some work on it last time I came here.'

I really wanted to see his face when he found out.
This is a local signature for local people, there's nothing for you here.
Piplup2003

And here is a gem my friend told me today:

Queueing for Galactica.

tannoy: 'The queue for Galactica with VR is two hours, the queue for Galactica without VR is 0 minutes'

At which point people rushed to get in the non VR queue, massively depleting the VR queue, only to realise that the Fast Track entrance isn't the non VR queue.
This is a local signature for local people, there's nothing for you here.
DerpyQuark

Overheard at BPB yesterday:
"And I was eating a Nutella sandwich..."
Morgan

Heard a funny little chat in the Galactica queue on Sunday evening.

Dad: "She doesn't want to do Nemesis, it looks too fast"
Mum: "It's just like Mine Train but with loops"
Mr_Gibson

Today I heard my favourite thing I’ve ever overheard at Alton Towers. A mum was talking to her kid and said “I wish you would hurry up and grow faster so that I can take you on Nemesis!”
SNCoasters

Overheard in the Swarm station:

“Yes, we get to go at the back! It goes faster at the back!”
DerpyQuark

Overheard near Thi13een's entrance by a lady to her friend:

"I hope there aren't any big drops on this ride!"
Dan

SNCoasters wrote:Overheard in the Swarm station:

This isn’t all that much of a funny thing to hear.

It’s widely known that the back of a train experiences more of a pull and gives a completely different ride experience to the front. If you were to ride Wicker Man, for example, at the front and then at the back in quick succession, you would get two completely different rides.
SNCoasters

SNCoasters wrote wrote:Overheard in the Swarm station:

It’s widely known that the back of a train experiences more of a pull and gives a completely different ride experience to the front. If you were to ride Wicker Man, for example, at the front and then at the back in quick succession, you would get two completely different rides.
While this is true, and the back is often favoured for a more intense ride, I don’t think that the back actually travels at a higher speed than the front of the train, which is what I inferred when I heard it.
Although, you are right, and I simply didn’t think of this when I heard it.
ROYJESS

SNCoasters wrote:
SNCoasters wrote wrote:Overheard in the Swarm station:

While this is true, and the back is often favoured for a more intense ride, I don’t think that the back actually travels at a higher speed than the front of the train, which is what I inferred when I heard it.
Although, you are right, and I simply didn’t think of this when I heard it.
I've been saying for many years (49 years) that the back is faster than the front.  Technically the front reaches the same speed as the back, but for going down the dips, the back seats are faster, especially on the old woodies.  At the front, you are normally halfway down the dips before you pick up speed,which is not much fun  :P
Liam.W

Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Bexa

'I heard The Smiler's top speed is 85mph!'
and
'Why doesn't all the stuff fall off when you go upside down in Hex?'
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move