Funny Things You've Overheard at Parks

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
xylyx

Heard a great comment from a kid on Friday, we were heading out of X sector and he was going the opposite way with his parents when he made this observation with that earnest way kids do so well:

Pointing at the Smiler: " why would ANYONE smile on the Smiler?"

I dunno it just got me giggling like a loon
DeanC

Heard this at Thorpe park, in the queue for Rush:

"After this lets go to colossus"
"Oh Yh isn't that the one that like hangs under the track and like your legs are dangling"

:cry: ](*,) :yikes: #-o
Burniel

"The Hulk is the roughest ride I've ever been on"

Heard in the queue for Vampire. ](*,)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Ryan.B

I paid almost 30 quid for us to get in and stand around in queues all day! I won't be returning.

You're at a popular theme park on a reasonably quiet day with low queues. You're in a 15 minute queue for The Smiler, and a 15 minute queue for a brand new ride. I saw you walk round nemesis 3 times. The only rides which had excessively large queues were Galactica before 4 and Spinball...

What do people expect at a theme park in Easter holidays on what isn't even a busy day :lol I'd get it if all the rides had hour long queues. They weren't very nice to listen to with the stuff they were saying let's say.

On a more light hearted note. "What, yeve already been on the sea world without us. I only came to go on the ice age and sea world. What even is the sea world anyway? They then headed over to cloud cuckoo land on the skyride and missed out on ice age 4D by maybe a couple of minutes :lol
lf2001

Was queuing for Rita on Friday when a family in front said "Remember that ride we rode on holiday, it was life-threatening. You got to the top and went straight off the edge of the track"

Doubt it..
Burniel

lf2001 wrote:Was queuing for Rita on Friday when a family in front said "Remember that ride we rode on holiday, it was life-threatening. You got to the top and went straight off the edge of the track"

Doubt it..
Probably referring to Expedition Everest :lol
Ryan.B

Maybe x scream I think it is :lol
Liam.W

Other week queueing for Galactica a kid in front of me said "guys this used to be Nemesis, and they rethemed it to this and it now includes AR"

Made it worse when his mates asked how he knew it and he said he was the worlds biggest Alton Towers fan and knew everything about the park... ](*,)
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Cobby

It's not something I overheard but rather read in the comments on a youtube video. This guy said:

"I'm really confused is that the US alton towers or the UK"

I don't think I could face palm harder :lol
Burniel

Not at a park, but about one. At the Toby Carvery today:

Wow, look at the queues for the carvery, it's like Chessington World of Adventures!
The queue for the carvery was approximately 20 people ](*,)

Also, I'm pretty sure that carver got through more people per hour than Vampire does ;)
Max

"let's go on that pinball ride"
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Adam.W

-going past Nemesis on the monorail-

Boy (pointing at nemesis): Is that Galactica?
Mum: No it's the corkscrew.

-Talking to some worker just outside the smiler-

Worker: Yeah, this has 18 twists and the one at chessington has 10 twists.

According to him the RCR is also the world's first RCR.

My dad: Yeah, let's go on the nemesis

My dad (pointing at the smiler): Yeah, this one is just like the nemesis, you just go upside down more.

-in the galactica station-
The headsets go black just before dispatch, and some woman takes her headset off and said that the headset wasn't working.
The train then dispatched...
TRM

'The Smiler is like nemesis but 14 times' this came from someone who must have been at least 15 *facepalm*
MJNemesis

Today at AT:

I was just getting off Runaway Mine Train:
- Really bored looking kid in his early teens waiting for his mates to get off: "Come on, we've been on this 4 times now and its for kids, I want to go on something scary"
- One of his friends: "no, we're going on Rapids again"

(It was after lunch by this time so I can only assume somebody in his group was too scared to do anything else so was using delay tactics :D).

Getting off Rita (the double-sided shelves where you collect your bags from the opposite side you put them in)
- Man to his wife: "Oh wow look, the bags have moved to the other side. Isn't that clever?!".

On Skyride:
- Infant kid to her dad: "Wow look at the ducks down there". Then in a really concerned voice: "Daddy, what would happen if this fell off and we landed on the ducks?!".

Best one of all: I was out front by the Corkscrew waiting for my other half to go to the toilet before we left.
- Little kid: WOW DAD, LOOK AT THAT!
- Dad: That's the Corkscrew. Did you know I've been on that when it was a ride? It used to be in the park
- Little kid: WOW REALLY!?
A monument to greatness. I hope many other future coaster kids react like that to the old legend :)
Ryan.B

To the confused shoutbox people, I heard someone say "have you been on the infernus yet" I asked them if they meant nemesis inferno.. "no the infernus, the alton towers copy" they also said the oblivion.

On a smarter note, my little cousin was complaining about the Galactica promo image, I asked him what was wrong with it...
he replied "That's vekoma track I think, why don't they use B&M track?" I trained him well :lol
Ryan.B

It seems that 4 of the coasters have got a rename... Galactica has become The Galactica, Nemesis has become The Nemesis, Oblivion has become The Oblivion and Spinball Whizzer has become Spinball Wizzard. The Changes are rumoured to have come due to the GP becoming confused by ome rides having "The" in their original names, and others have been changed to have this. Spinball Whizzer received the Harry Potter IP.

What does everyone think to these changes?

Liam.W

I guess I can't have a go at the media anymore for naming them wrong :|

I much preferred it as Spinball Whizzer, Wizard doesn't sound as good!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Adam.W

Ryan.B wrote:It seems that 4 of the coasters have got a rename... Galactica has become The Galactica, Nemesis has become The Nemesis, Oblivion has become The Oblivion and Spinball Whizzer has become Spinball Wizzard. The Changes are rumoured to have come due to the GP becoming confused by ome rides having "The" in their original names, and others have been changed to have this. Spinball Whizzer received the Harry Potter IP.

What does everyone think to these changes?

Since then they've also updated The Smiler to 'Smiler'

Max

I was hoping they'd go for "Pinball Wizard"
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
ThemeParkEwan

But you forgot "The Postman Pat's Parcel Post"