Scariest moments at Alton Towers

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
lozzyhickers

Duel breaking down when I was on it yesterday  :shock:
And also seeing that Toyland Tours was going to be re-themed  :(
Delta79

oblivion, now i don't have a fear of highs, just a fear of falling. got dragged on by my mate, step daughter and her boyfriend. I think my mate summed it up on the brake run "time of fresh underwear now then"
lukaNW

my scariest experience comes from an employee point of view. whilst working on oblivion, as i was checking harnesses on the back shuttle i had a guest walk down the bay b2 turn right and try to board a shuttle on the waiting area. i still cant believe how fast i reacted but all i remember was shouting KAYCEE!! KAYCEE!! while signalling a ride stop my heart was pumping almost out my chest and i ran to this guy who had a kid with him aswell, just directing him back to the station quite forcefully i remember, (not usually like that to guests but it was an emergency) after we got him back to the station he left quite embarrased but also angry, while we restarted i asked my colleague who was on bays and he said all he said was go down b2 and wait at the end just before the gate. he described the man as having little english skills so its understandable but to have so little common sence is just beond belief. afterwards while in the cab talking about it kaycee said to me she had never seen anything like it and was just as shocked as i was. thankfully it diddnt happen again.
..::perfection requires a touch of madness::..
MattsDesigns

What would have happened to him? Cause trying to "board a shuttle in the wating area" doesn't sound that bad to the uninformed  ;)
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
lukaNW

It doesn't sound so bad when you look at it but there is risks involved. All we saw was this man hurrying down the platform and onto the catwalk, you really couldn't say at that point where he wanted to go, was he just being stupid, was he drunk, did he intend to do somthing malicious, did he want to jump off?? The ride was still in motion and im sure nobody wants to see a guest being hit by a moving shuttle especially if he went into the service brake area. the catwalks shake really badly as you are probably aware ( designed to release excess energy and remain stable) so it only takes him to lose his balance to fall onto something.
..::perfection requires a touch of madness::..
Poison Tom 96

Being threatened with a broken nose by some prick at Ultimate Fireworks must be the scariest for me.
BowMan

Seeing that nearly EVERYTHING was closed at Feb Half Term.  :shock:

(I know it isn't the fault of the Towers. I was just a bit shocked!)
Image Thanks to Lewis97
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Matthewr1990 wrote: Another strangly scary moment is the duck in the flume, that doesn't seem to be working this year
It wasn't working back in August but was then in October, I think it's just a case of turning it on and off and timing. I cannot confirm if I've seen it this season though. I'm sure it's there, could anyone confirm/deny this?
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
The Moon

Oblivion+claustrophobia=no.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
PeteMadden

I've also got to admit my first ride on HEX was pretty petrifying. Going into HEX clueless as to what was next was nerve-racking, you can imagine what I was like by the time I got to the rotating walls.
LJ

My scariest moment was when my 6 foot 10" friend said he did not like heights, inversions or any rollercoaster themed excitements while at Alton. I changed him a few months later by making him ride the indiana jones ride at disneyland, knowing there was a loop. To quote "Oh s***! This has a loop" .He kind of ruined my at the Towers so I merely ruined his a bit.
The Moon

Not at Towers but I feel it's releavant. And I still to this day do not know HOW this was frickin possible. But last year on a trip to Florida with the family, we were doing Rock 'N' Roller Coaster at MGM (I refuse to call it Hollywood Studios) and my father and I boarded the train. Now both of us have claustrophobia, him moreso than I, and we had not ridden for a good few months prior. The train trundled off in all its Vekoma rattliness to the launch area. Engaged the launch dog, rolled back and waited. Steven Tyler screamed his bit, expecting a rush of g's and air, I braced my head against the restraint, but the train did not budge. It was pretty loud and rather dark in that bay and sure enough, Tyler screamed his bit again and this time it launched. Half way through the exit loop of the first element, bam, the lights came on. This was odd, I thought, they must have a problem. We stopped on the MCBR and it took me a moment to notice the empty seat beside me, complete with closed restraint. As I found out later, he panicked before the train launched after its delay and shuffled under the OTSR and asked a ride op for the exit. This poor guy was apparently dumbstruck, as you would be if a guy just got off an operating roller coaster. For you that do not know, the op is on the opposite side of the track to guest accessable areas, and my father got out on the ride ops side. Apparently that guy hit the E-Stop in an almost cartoonish rate. I was just weirded out, not 20 seconds ago there was 2 of us sat on a launch track and now there is just me on a brake run sat next to air. Anyway, we got led down the stairs and got a unique look at the track, quite interesting actually. Took about 20 minutes to walk out, but we got a free all day fastpass so it's all good! From what people saw, as his foot got out of the car it launched.

He has not been on any rides since.
Last edited by The Moon on Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
Hurri

Risk your life and the safety of others, cause a ride shutdown, get rewarded with all day fastpass. Ridiculous.
The Moon

With claustrophobia, when you feel you need to get out of a situation like my father did, you do not think rationally. Everyone on the trains stuck and in the loading bays got fastpasses for the inconvenience caused, because Disney care about  what customers think of their day. Turning a "they made us wait an hour then the ride shut!" into "it was great! We got on everything we wanted, no wait!" and the little inconvenience is erased. I don't think in that situation my father is to blame. He only focused on getting out of that ride. Similar, I believe, to a mother being able to lift a car to save her child. Also, if Disney kicked us out of the park and punished us, we could have blabbed to the papers. "Near accident when man climbs out of unsecure roller coaster!"
Last edited by The Moon on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toke up...
Luce

Not exactly scary, but more unnerving was when I went through Hex on my own last year.  A very strange experience but also interesting.  I'm not entirely sure I'd repeat it but it still doesn't prevent me from enjoying the ride :)
jackgcse

Being about 8-9 and going on the Black Hole for the first and last time, when you got to the top and that sudden drop, scared me silly! However after that every ride has been OK! lol!
MattsDesigns

I love Rip Saw but when I was at the edge the creaking noise scared me, also on Oblivion it seemed to rattle too much one time. My head starts writing Final Destination part 6 or whichever we are on now.

Another scary one was when I was riding Duel on my own near half 5 o clock and the ride stopped near the exit. All the stuff was still running. I think they were going to turn it off (since no one else was in the cars) but realized I was still inside.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Fantasmic

Coming face to face with that Hippo with the big swinging.... titties on Toyland Tours.
Jevaaaans

My first ride on Sub-Terra on the day it re-opened after all it's improvements. I was not aware they were making improvements, I just knew it had been closed. So after the lift opened (I was on the right-hand-side lift) and the actor came in with the gas mask on I was just like "HOLY :censored:!!!". Then going through the Scaremaze where I'm pretty sure I hit one of the actors and then made my friend smash her face off the fence you're supposed to bend under... worst experience of my life...
Daniel_Robbins

First time in TOTT and Boiler House at scareest can't remember which year but I was terrified, love it now but still scares the hell out me! Shame Boiler isn't there this year but I think we need a change after the slight dissapoint from last year.