Scariest moments at Alton Towers

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
Aidan Lowe

smileradvocate1 wrote:The electric thingy in the Th13teen queue! Still gets me every time cos' you don't know when it's coming!
Providing the audio is on it counts to 12, at this point you know a scream will come soon and it'll start.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
TH14TEEN

The entrance price!!!!!
Liam.W

TH14TEEN wrote:The entrance price!!!!!
The only time I think it is worth the money is during scarefest because you get a lot longer in park!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

TH14TEEN

Totally agree. Being a MAP holder, price doesn't affect me.
Liam.W

TH14TEEN wrote:Totally agree. Being a MAP holder, price doesn't affect me.
Lucky you! I'm trying to convince my mum to buy one!

Yunagirlamy

Not really that scary but my harness on Nemesis came undone just before the loop. We had pushed it down really tight onto my body.
Liam.W

Yunagirlamy wrote:Not really that scary but my harness on Nemesis came undone just before the loop. We had pushed it down really tight onto my body.
I highly doubt it came fully undone!

Yunagirlamy

smileradvocate1 wrote:
Yunagirlamy wrote:Not really that scary but my harness on Nemesis came undone just before the loop. We had pushed it down really tight onto my body.
I highly doubt it came fully undone!
The best way I can explain it is imagine pushing it down but not all the way, then clipping the secondary harness in. That's how it was like. I could freely move it up and down when I came back into the station before the harness was released. It was my own fault for pushing it down so tightly onto my body really. I made sure not to when I went back on it.

You'd think I'd know better with that being around my seventh time.
Dan

Any trip on the Skyride between Forbidden Valley & Cloud Cuckoo Land is by far the scariest thing at Towers for me.
Liam.W

Dan.N wrote:Any trip on the Skyride between Forbidden Valley & Cloud Cuckoo Land is by far the scariest thing at Towers for me.
I have a fear of cable cars so I won't do skyride, which is a shame as my legs are half dead after a day walking round the park.

Aidan Lowe

I'm actually surprised at how many fear the Skyride :D

Was this one time on the Skyride because nobody wanted to sit next to me (must smell) 6 teens decided to sit on the opposite side, the cable car got wedged going round the station as the weight was one sided and the top kept going while the car itself wasn't budging. Was quite scary, the ride host shouted at some of them to move across to my side.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Smiffy107

My last terrifying experience was not long after they introduced Nemesis Sub Terra, I had NO IDEA what type of ride it was, so I was terrified, I had no idea about the live action part, that gave me nightmares for a good week! Gah to this day I refuse to ever go on that ride again, hated it!
The woman asked 'spare a farthing for a beggar', the earl cruelly dismissed her, and instructed his driver to head back to the towers, scorned the old woman screamed the curse 'FOR EVERY BRANCH OF THE OLD OAK THAT FALLS, A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!'
N_B

Bloodfest Banquet, as I hadn't been to anything like that before. I also may have had a little tipple in Merrie England to calm my nerves so needed to pee and the thought of having to do a walk of shame to the car was very scary :lol
JonDoesTT

Sub Species. Just Sub Species.

Credit to NemesisRider
70s_kid

Turning up at the ticket kiosk to buy 2for1 tickets then not being able remember where you've put the voucher!

A more serious answer would be my first ride on a "proper" roller coaster which was the Black Hole in about 1985.

Unlike today there was no ride info or POV's online (as online didn't exist!), any pictures in the press would just show a tent, and all you would really be sure of was that you were going on a dark roller coaster.

So imagine going up and up in circles for what seemed like ages, then plummeting into total darkness (no interior lighting whatsoever in those days IIRC) with absolutely no idea of what to expect, it was quite scary.

It's a shame really that the internet and 24hr news channels mean that new rides now have little chance of springing any surprises on us. For example, I wonder how many people went on Th13teen for the first time unaware of what was going to happen?
iamradam
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Oxfordland, United Oxdom, Oxfordonia, Planet Ox

Scariest moments that were probably intentionally somewhat scary:
- Hex, all of it as a child
- Black Hole as a child
- Oblivion at any age
- almost passing out on Nemesis because of the G's
Scariest moments that are in no way intentional of the park:
- whenever my dad would rock the skyride (especially if it stopped over the valley)
- that unnerving rattling and noises of stuff moving on Submission
UltimateDingbat

Definatly SubTerror. I've now been on it a few times, 3 to be exact. The first time I had a full on panic attack which caused some of the ride hosts to come out at the end to make sure I was ok because I full on froze whilst in the maze at the end. I hated it. The second time I went with my husband I was okish but still had a minor panic. I had to hold onto him the whole time. Third time I made myself hold together as went on with my husband, father in law and sister in law. I do dislike that ride, yet I still put myself through it. I will one day manage to actually open my eyes.

I can also remember first time I rode Oblivion not long after opening, I have a vivid memory of my mam giving me a clip round the ear for swearing all the way down.
razgriz33

Sub terra is pretty scary!
I was also scared of ripsaw, went on it sat next to a big guy so not only was i scared, but also uncomfortable. scariest part is when you get locked in at the top and you slowly rotate forward to look at the ground!

R.I.P.Saw
MJNemesis

The drop on Thirteen did get me the first time, even though I knew it was coming.

The most scary was my first ride on Hex when the room starts to roll over to make you think you are going to go upside down while sitting on the bench. All I could think was 'OMG, THIS LAP BAR WON'T HOLD ME IN!'. Obviously it wouldn't happen or most riders would be dead but it was a damn good illusion.

Edit: Just read the part of iamradam's post about Nemesis. I greyed out on my first ride of Nemesis yesterday. It was on the helix just after the first corkscrew. Quite scary but also annoying because I was preparing for a good photo pose but I was only just coming round when the camera flashed so the photo was just of me with limp arms and my eyes closed :clap:
Liam.W

MJNemesis wrote:I greyed out on my first ride of Nemesis yesterday. It was on the helix just after the first corkscrew.
My feet always start to feel numb coming out of the helix and the start of the zero-G-roll! I have never greyed out on nemesis, the numb feeling is the closest I have come to something similar happening!