Scariest moments at Alton Towers

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
dominicjeffrey

When they replaced Toyland Tours with Charlie and the chocolate factory. They must have been mad.
SamSimkin

My scariest moment?

I went to the park last week for the 4th time. I had done air and 13, it doesnt really seem that big a feat however, a  year ago, I wouldnt even go on the flume because i was scared! Anyway, while in forbidden valley, I kind of knew that today, I would have to do nemesis.
I stood  at the entrance, and just walked in. I didnt want to look at the zero-g roll or the train thundering past you at what seems like a million miles per hour. Anyway I had done most of the queue line (the park was literally dead so the queue line was done really quickly!) However, I made the mistake of looking at the zero g roll (or the loop, i dont really know which is which) and I think my heart stopped beating. Slowly, i kept on walking towards the station, for some reason I wanted to touch the alien, but thats a different story.
In the station, I looked around and all i could see was darkness, with the trains departing. the guy asked how many and we replied 2, he then said you can go to the front as there was no one waiting for front row. I could of ran away at that  point, but I told myself I had to do it, so I buckeled myself in and  the floor dissapeared, soon were were going up the lift hill, which is enough to scare anyone alone, anyway for the rest of the ride I had my eyes closed.

When coming back into  the station, I felt pretty chuffed with myself. I HAD DONE NEMESIS. However the scary bit was yet to come, I couldn't find a way to undo my seatbelt thing, I didnt  see the word 'pull' on the clip and I was petrified I would have to do it again. Luckily, my sister undid it, and I have never run from a ride as fast as I did in my life.
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
Joshysqaushy

Henry wrote: Walking through the Gardens at night at Scarefest.
Awful
I know the feeling  :(
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER:
UPDATES: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 8&start=40
Alex.D

Oblivion for the first time and first ever ride at Alton. I was 9 and the harness was loose. Oh.My.God. It was terrifying! Especially as the holding brake held us for a good 30 seconds!
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
Samwise

Anyone remember the giant 'Blob' type thing in the old haunted house, it was in a tank if i recall correctly?
Wise
aidan.rudge.92

My first ride on nemeisis was pretty scary, due to the fact i was only 13 and the look of nemesis is pretty intense. Enough to make any young boy make a mess in his pants lol.

Also, like many of you have said above, "THE DUCK". Still scares me even though i know its coming lol. The quack gets louder every year i swear!
:D
L154

my scariest experience wasnt at alton towers but on a ride very similar to hex at drayton manor, at the end of the ride (this was the 1st time we went on it so didnt know what to expect) the lights shut out, completely, its pitch black! but some girls behind me started to scream, and me, thinking that something was touching them, i also started to scream, then loads of other people started screaming, then, the lights came back on, but nothing had even happened to anyone, just shows what mass hystiria can do, funniest thing was my 5 year old was with us and he was fine!  :lol:
:lol:  :lol:
nemyjoe

th13teen an sub terra!!! when i went to AT in 2011 (i was 10) it was the first time i went on the coasters and i went on 13 and it scared me for years i had nightmares about it and everything. then when sub terra opened i had just got over 13 so i wasnt really scared of any of the rides. i went on sub terra i knew there was a drop in it but i think it just shocked me how big the drop was and also the back poking bit aswell so just when i got over 13 sub terra started it all over again. :no:
Adam.W

To date, the first time I went on the smiler, as that was the day I started doing all the big rides, so I didn't know what to expect.

The thirteen drop still gets me every time. :p
RedStar98

I went with some aunts/ uncles and cousins when Charlie first opened. I can't remember exactly how long that queue was but it was one of the worst I remember, standing there amongst all those kids with no end in sight was my scariest memory of Alton Towers
George B

Going on Sanctuary at SMN. It was my first ever maze, and people who were with me will know that I was so scared.

Thanks to NemesisRider for the signature
Morgan

First time on Th13teen just before I became an enthusiast... It was terrifying to me at the time.

Then about a month ago, Oblivion's lift hill. I hated it!
Stan.H

First time on Th13teen - Electric volts in queue
First time on Rita - Sudden launch
Overtime on the flume - Ducks petrify me and give me nightmares
Watching Oblivion break down - On the 'don't look down' break!
alicheesy

Oh god the Th13teen lightning thing. I cover my ears when I'm in there.
Thank you to Owen for the most fabulous signature to ever exist ever
Stan.H

alicheesy wrote:Oh god the Th13teen lightning thing. I cover my ears when I'm in there.
Most people call me a wimp when I do that and loudly scream/shout when it goes off! My come back is - At least I've ridden Nemesis and Oblivion!!
vikkimoo

Generally, I am always terrified the minute I get to the top of the hill on Oblivion, and can see just how high up it is; I'm scared of heights (and the idea of falling from a height) but always make myself go on it! I've also been on the front row of The Smiler a couple of times and that's also terrified me cos it feels so out of control (but not in a good way) to me.

Last time I went to AT we got stuck on Air's lift hill. It must only have been for about 5 mins max but you're forced to look down, and all I could think about was how there was nothing for me to stand on if the seats went back down/we needed to be evacuated, and that if the restraints were somehow released I'd be splattered on the ground below.
Ripsaw Raver

listening to the ignorance of the GP, most terrifying thing ever at Towers.
TH14TEEN

The electric atmosphere in the ruins always makes me hastily walk through. Definitely feels haunted, heard footsteps behind me in one of the passageways too.
JonDoesTT

I have a few scary AT moments (as everyone does) haha.

One of the scariest is when I was on Oblivion for the first time, and the entire ride experience shook me up completely. I was 10 at the time (it was my first ever rollercoaster) though, and Oblivion is now one of my favorite rides!

Another of my scariest moments was last year's Scaremazing North event, I'd never done a maze before so ToTT and The Sanctuary were genuinely terrifying for me. I did love it, though :D

Also, when the skyride stops when you're 200ft above the gardens. :yikes: That scared the first time it happened to me haha.

Credit to NemesisRider
Liam.W

The electric thingy in the Th13teen queue! Still gets me every time cos' you don't know when it's coming!

Also, my first time on oblivion, it wasn't the ride that scared me it was the fact that my harness wouldn't lock down one more latch so there was about a 2cm gap between me and the restraint. It isn't that bad but on my first time it was terrifying! :yikes:
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!