Scariest moments at Alton Towers

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
PeteMadden

Please, share with me some of the scariest experiences at Alton Towers that you can remember!

For me, it would have to be when Oblivion broke down last time I visited in 2010. The adrenaline was pumping through my body as we reached the drop. We sat there for a few seconds, until I realised the ride should have probably dropped by now. I hadn't really been paying attention to the people around me but as soon as I did we all knew we were stuck whilst hanging over the top of Oblivion! I can honestly say that was one of the scariest experiences of my life! It wasn't exactly comfortable dangling 60 feet in the air! Everything else around the park was running fine, and although I knew it wouldn't happen I worried that there were carriages coming up behind us. I went into a state of panic!

Has anyone else got a similar or even scarier memory they would like to share? :)
DiogoJ42

Ah, the old "stuck hanging over the edge" myth again...

Oblivion cannot stop on the holding break, it only slows down for a few seconds. If you stopped anywhere, it would be just before the hold, while you were still level.
;)
PeteMadden

[quote=""DiogoJ42""]Ah, the old "stuck hanging over the edge" myth again...

Oblivion cannot stop on the holding break, it only slows down for a few seconds. If you stopped anywhere, it would be just before the hold, while you were still level.
;)[/quote]

I know I wasn't exactly level I can tell you that. You're right I wasn't left hanging right over the edge, but I was left haging on a tilt. :mrgreen:
Tom G

Definitely my first ever ride on Oblivion, and that was only last year!

Also, the Haunted House, even the queueline outside was terrifying in my youth.

For anyone that had NO idea of what was coming in the Thirteen crypt, surely that has to be up there?
PeteMadden

Totally agree, it must have been pretty nerve-wracking going into that dark tunnel and not knowing what was going to happen, imagine how it must have felt to be the first person in the world dropped 12 feet from a rollercoaster!
formula1fan

I'd have to say the drop on Thirteen. Even though I went on it twice, and knew what was going to happen, it was still a shock. And, when I went on it the second time, some friends of mine had (eventually) joined me and my younger brother, and we kinda 'forgot' to tell my friends about the drop in the middle. :twisted:
jordanc44

Walking through the gardens alone at about 10 at night last scarefest.
2012- Alton Towers - 3 | Thorpe Park - 1 | Legoland - 1 | Chessington World of Adventures - 0 |
MinteButtons

My first ever ride on Duel. I have a phobia of animatronics, and dark rides hugely un-nerve me.
I thought "Hey, it's a shooter, it won't be too bad." I spent the whole ride screaming and hiding. :oops:
DiogoJ42

Animatronicaphobia? :lol:
MinteButtons

Nah, I'm just a wimp. :lol:
.Will

[quote=""DiogoJ42""]Animatronicaphobia? :lol:[/quote]

Automatonophobia actually.

:wink:
dominoes

[quote=""MinteButtons""]My first ever ride on Duel. I have a phobia of animatronics, and dark rides hugely un-nerve me.[/quote]
I have EXACTLY the same thing! They scare the hell out of me... I even got scared on Pirates of the Caribbean. :oops:
The scariest moment for me, and I know this is strange, but I found Air quite scary... It wasn't the actual ride, but the fact that I could feel my feet slipping out of the feet rests. I thought that my feet were going to fall out, and I would break my legs on the field bit. Oh, and Air in the dark scared me as well...
Last edited by dominoes on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteMadden

[quote=""dominoes""]
The scariest moment for me, and I know this is strange, but I found Air quite scary... It wasn't the actual ride, but the fact that I could feel my feet slipping out of the feet rests.[/quote]

I know what you mean, when I first got on air and the carriage lifted I felt like my feet were loose. Once we were off I kind of had to accept I couldn't fix it if there was a problem, but once the ride took off it was ok.
Pennywise

- Charlie
- Submission
- The GoGoGo Show

^ Everything about all of the above. ;)
Don't_Look_Down

My first ride on Oblivion was pretty scary. I can't say I found it enjoyable TBH, and I was so tense throughout, that I came away with chest pain :|
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
QTXAdsy

Seeing the increased price for everything. :yikes:
themealgang

It would have to be for me my first ride on Duel; I was ten, and could not think of anything worse at the time! 8-[

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Coaster Chris

seeing the cue for 13 and still REALLY wanting to go on it. And also first time on Rita because I didn't know how fast it would go.
NoseyElephant

[quote=""QTXAdsy""]Seeing the increased price for everything. :yikes:[/quote]

Hahhahah :lol: Good answer!

[quote=""Tom G""]
For anyone that had NO idea of what was coming in the Thirteen crypt, surely that has to be up there?[/quote]

This was me! I honestly had no clue what was coming. Didnt read about it before riding, just saw the trailers on tv which revealed nothing about the drop.
I'm quite a wimp anyway, and for the entire queue my boyfriend was winding me up about what would happen. He also had no clue but whilst making up all sorts of scary things he said that the coaster would just fall. This terrified me so he kept playing on that. To his shock it did actually fall! I was screaming like a right wally and i think luke was close to having a heart attack. It was hilarious afterwards, but oh my i nearly pooed my pants!
ATJoseph

Oh god last year when my harness poped open wide on oblivion drop Was my first ride on blivviy too :hlol: