Scariest moments at Alton Towers

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
Adam.W

Liam.W wrote:
MJNemesis wrote:I greyed out on my first ride of Nemesis yesterday. It was on the helix just after the first corkscrew.
My feet always start to feel numb coming out of the helix and the start of the zero-G-roll! I have never greyed out on nemesis, the numb feeling is the closest I have come to something similar happening!
I thought I saw my vision darken right after the helix yesterday, but it was probably just me closing my eyes due to the wind :lol

The scariest times are when you go on a rollercoaster for the first time, as you don't know what's coming ;)
tcw1993

longy0151 wrote:Another newish scariest moment at Alton Towers.
I was riding Duel when the ride broke down, and we were in the tunnel. The tunnel kept on spinning and made me extremely disorientated, leaving me sick by the end of the ride.
Not one of my best rides on Duel.
I've been in that situation too :(
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
Morgan

The Haunting of Molly Crowe. Was very close to taking off my hood and walking out, or having a panic attack.
Justin

Loosing my breath on Oblivion as I went down the drop!
Usually I am alright, but on that occasion I was caught off guard!
archie.mm

Morgan wrote:The Haunting of Molly Crowe. Was very close to taking off my hood and walking out, or having a panic attack.
What actually happened in there? Also, where was it? Was it in the Swiss Cottage?
S.J_O'Grady

archie.mm wrote:
Morgan wrote:The Haunting of Molly Crowe. Was very close to taking off my hood and walking out, or having a panic attack.
What actually happened in there? Also, where was it? Was it in the Swiss Cottage?
It was in the towers, accessed through the tunnel from by X-Sector. It was a standard hooded maze really but with a great ending!!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
archie.mm

The Sky Sailor wrote:
archie.mm wrote:
It was in the towers, accessed through the tunnel from by X-Sector. It was a standard hooded maze really but with a great ending!!
Ohhhhh, I get you. I read about the ending. Wish I couldve gone. The only Alton scare mazes Ive done are The Sanctuary (amazing), Carnival of Screams (best one ever imo) and TOTT (absolutely awful).
ArchitectOfPain

Either the bit in the middle of sub-species with the masks with lights, or witnessing disembodied stone throwing in the hex queue line one very quiet februarg half term!
Nickolai

It was when Th13teen's tesla went off when I was 9 - I started crying and didn't want to ride, but, I did and I enjoyed it!
Formally Smiler313
jackf1tz

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_qu ... p=CAASAggA

On a serious note, I went through dark apocalypse last year. Chainsaws exist.
DeadJack5

Nemesis: Sub Terra.

I've never been so anxious to get off a ride in my life. It was too much for me as i never experienced something which i couldn't see what was going on. This was before the maze section was added, i imagine if i went when this was added, i will not have coped. But now that I've done horror mazes, N:ST would be a walk in the park :lol
JC13

The Welcoming Blindfold Section

At Scarefest this year, i was lucky enough to be at the back of the first ever public group in The Welcoming. I had already been in the other three mazes completely fine, and i was fine in the Welcoming, until the blindfold section.

I had never done a blindfolded section in a maze before, and i easily faint when i am dehydrated or warm. I hadn’t drunk anything for two hours and i went into Welcoming with a hoodie and a coat. When the bag went on my head i was fine, but about a minute into the blindfolded section i began to get the feeling i get before i faint. I managed to make it through the blindfolded section, but felt disoriented for about an hour. On wednesday 25th october i went back in the welcoming and purpusly only wore a hoodie and drunk water before going in, and i was completely fine.

This could be why i thought the welcoming was garbage, but i thought it just lacked the intensity the other three had
PhNx Survivor

I would have to say the first time I rode BoneShaker in Ug Land at the time.. I was quite a young age but insisted on going on the ride.. I later came to realise that it was a horrible mistake as I was sliding all over the seat, luckily my mother was in the seat with me so she could hold me down.

I will never forget how terrifying that was and never went back on it.. however, whenever I do walk through the Th13teen queue and see the old site of BoneShaker.. I do feel sad and had thought I should of given it another chance.. But then I realised that I was happy that scary ass piece of (naughty word) ride was taken away, so all is good :lol
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Wagstaff04

Mine is the first time i rode The Smiler. I got in and pulled down the restraints, only then  realising there was no seatbelt. To make matters worse, the restraint felt quite loose and my shoulders were hitting it throughout the ride. I felt like i was going to fall out!
DAN31

When I was at Scarefest, 2 years ago, I'd never done a scare maze.....too much of a wimp, but then decided to bite the bullet and buy a ticket. We went to TOTT, walked over the bridge 1 by 1 and was then made to wait at the bottom of some stairs. We were waiting for ages as there was a hold up in the maze somewhere, I had a full on panic attack and asthma attack and walked out, got told by the operative who took a picture in the conservatory that I was a wimp and another term which I wont put.... he got a load of verbal abuse back to which he never have a comeback.
This has now made me even worse when it comes to this kind off attraction...although I managed the Dungeons in London in the end which I loved.
So, I guess there is hope!! 
DerpyQuark

My scariest experience at Alton Towers was in 2013.
I was petrified, and I mean PETRIFIED, by the Smiler’s theming. 
I was mostly afraid of the logo, and that marmalised lady on the marketing. I was only 8. 
Now I am a Smiler and MOJ fan.
Mew

My scariest moment was probably Sub-Species last year. Getting inside was also paired with the fact that I'm 13 and was really hoping no one would notice how I'm clearly not 15. (No one questioned us throughout the day, hoping it's due to the fact that my friend looks about 15/16.) We got into the first room in which my friend told me that he was too scared to do it and wanted to ask a staff member to leave. I told him "Sure" and then dragged him into the next room because I decided that he had no choice in the matter and was going to be forced to do it with me. That didn't work out very well though because as soon as we got to the next room with the three doors, I ended up being the only one to go through Door 2 completely alone right at the start, absolutely terrified.
MattW170

In 2016, I went to AT during SF and we had gotten off Th13teen 10 minutes before the park closing at 9.
We all still wanted to go on Galactica as it was our first time going since Air was rethemed, so we ran from The Dark Forest past The Towers, past the gardens through Mutiny Bay and through Katanga Canyon. We then arrived at Gloomy Wood where we forgot about the zombie scare zone in Forbidden Valley, and was in one way ‘jumpscared’ and chased by a zombie with a chainsaw, but we ended being the last people on Galactica that day.
AltonOperator

My first ride on Nemesis was pretty scary. I was about 10. I had no problem going on the ride; I had disabled pass so there wasn't any build up but once I got off I was reluctant to reride. I hated how close to the floor you seemed to get. I was convinced I was going to hit it. I just found out yesterday that I rode back-right which is supposedly the most intense seat lol
Absolutely love the thing now - its my baby :lol
Thanks Jack
dominoes

One of my scariest was riding Nemesis. I had always thought it was a great ride, and when I rode it on this occasion I had finally hit 6 foot (this was about 5 years ago). I had my hands up in the air, and as we rolled over the station, I felt my hand hit something. It was very cold (it was November I believe), and I snapped my arms back down due to the pain. I don't know what my hand hit, but I had black oil/grease over my hand, and subsequently I don't like to raise my hand on inverted coasters any more...