M&D's

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Blizzard

Why not invest in catwalks & a floor on the lift when the ride was bought? :roll: No one will ever know!

But a question Iv always wanted to ask is: On a flying coaster like air, if there was a lift hill problem, how do they evacuate people? Firstly theyd have to get them from the prone position to a sitting one, but they have no mechanism on the lift hill. And secondly, there is no floor on the lift hill, so how would people walk to the catwalk on the left? :?

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.
John

There is a platform that can be brought up the lift to help with evacuation if needed, however it would only be used as a last resort.

Evacuation is much easier from the break run, and there is a diesel backup to move the craft off the lift if needed. The only situations where Air would be evac-ed from the lift is if the chain snapped or it was impossible to clear the previous craft from the breaks for whatever reason.
QTXAdsy

[quote=""Big Dave""]Image
Image[/quote]

Pinfari have one serious design flaw with this ride...

Where is the bloody lift hill stairs? It wouldn't be such a hissy story if there were stairs! #-o

But yeah, TBH, I couldn't give a toss if the park closes down pretty soon, even if it's the only park in Scotland (could be wrong if you count Codona in Aberdeen).

Well, even if they annouce if the place does shut down, guess we could make a TTF Scotland trip to ride the world's worst steelie one last time. :P :lol:
meames

But a question Iv always wanted to ask is: On a flying coaster like air, if there was a lift hill problem, how do they evacuate people?
In a completly shameless plug, there is a video of the evacution process taking place on the brake run on youtube - same thing, just with a mobile platform underneath - if you look at the sides of the structure, there are teeth running all the way up the lift hill, this is the track that the platform runs up and down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0sjL3fgjMI
themealgang

Oh dear. This was featured on Daybreak this morning.

I've never been to M&D's, and from the looks of it and the reviews it has received, the place looks shocking. Evacuation procedures on coasters are not a rare occurrence, and if the park just invested in a catwalk, they could of escaped the media attention.

Something tells me, this place is going to bite the dust soon. It would be one of the only times I would not give a damn about a theme park in the UK going bust.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
ponder

That coaster really is a horrible mess of metal, isn't it?

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
Tom G

Just looking at the pics, surely it isn't needed to run on three trains?
John

From looking at pictures it doesn't look like it has a transfer track, so they're pretty much committed to running 3.
themealgang

[quote=""ponder""]That coaster really is a horrible mess of metal, isn't it?[/quote]
From the looks of it, all of M&D's coasters are that! If they just looked after this coaster I'm sure it would look fine (and quite impressive looking if it travelled again). When I saw the images on Daybreak the other morning I burst out laughing; the place really is a dump. Seriously, travelling fairs look like they are kept in better condition, and that is without a swanky new KMG machine being there.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
seanyboyuk

Lets hope they add a cherry picker attraction for 2012! LOL
Gloomy Dude

I must admit, I actually rather enjoyed M&Ds 3 largest coasters, in a visceral sort of way. And as bad an a Pinfari SLC sounds, Tsunami is shockingly smooth. Oh, and the 3 train operation is hilarious. 3 trains, 2 platforms, 1 dozy ride op. A wonder to behold.

That being said, M&Ds still stinks of sugar and vomit and I hope they get dragged over the coals for this :)
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride
Dan

In what is an emerging story, the Pinfari Inverted rollercoaster "Tsunami" has derailed this afternoon at M&D's in Scotland.

From pictures that are in the media it appears a wheel assembly has detached from the train and a witness at the scene says it "will be a miracle if there's no fatalities"

The full story (which is still being updated) can be found here.
Max

Horrible news. Hope everyone is alright...
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
theparklifekid

Oh dear, this is bad news. Thoughts go to the victims of this....

Update: Further info from police - "approximately seven hurt"
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
MakoMania

Sending best wishes to all affected. Will be interesting to see how this has been allowed to happen.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Robster

Thoughts with all involved
Credit to NemesisRider
towerslover

Doesn't look good to me from the photos, hope everyone's ok.
Justin

Image: Demi Campbell/BBC
Developing story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-36635086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

abigsmurf

Jesus, a suspended coaster derailing , that's terrifying. Landed on an area where toddlers can ride on little bikes too. Here's hoping it gets no worse than "7 hurt"

Hard not to suspect maintenance for this if the cause was the wheels coming off, there are far too many accidents at smaller parks/funfairs that come down to poor upkeep.

Looking on the page for the coaster in question, it has a very low weight limit, 14 stone, which is odd.
OhShambhala

This is why I dont trust dodgy backstreet parks and fairground rides! Absolutely horrendous, I hope everyone is ok!
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!