M&D's

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
towerslover

Looks like this could be the end of M&D's if there are any fatalities or life changing injuries. I'm guessing they don't have much financial support.
COASTERGENICS

on one of the images you can see the wheels in tact, could it be a track fault?
full credit for signature to NemesisRider!
Dan

COASTERGENICS wrote:on one of the images you can see the wheels in tact, could it be a track fault?
I highly doubt it will be a track fault.

It looks like the wheel assembly has broken away from the train which can only be a result of mechanical failure, possibly through a lack of routine maintenance.
Screech

Surely it needs all the wheels on one side to fail for it to come off completely?

Lots of slating going on on Facebook, never been there, but seems it's a very run down park..?
Thoughts go out to all involved!
Justin

More images from BBC...

*** There are other photos emerging, but I would advise others not to post those which feature the casualties. ***
S.J_O'Grady

Yikes, I'm not a fan of tiny fairground-like amusement parks and I think I'll steer clear of this one.

Thoughts to all those involved.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
COASTERGENICS

the wheel has actually come off as this image shows
Last edited by lewis97 on Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Image
Liam.W

Absolutely awful news! Just seen a report on BBC news channel, although no more information than we already know.

If there is a death or a life changing injury I think this could spell the end of the park, depending on the parks finance situation
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Rob
Admin
Admin

This ride was closed for maintenance yesterday and wasn't open all day.

M&Ds have confirmed that the theme park will be closed until further notice.
Jevaaaans

Police Scotland have confirmed 11 casualties through their Facebook page. 2 adults and 9 children being treated at local hospitals however the nature/extent of their injuries is to be confirmed.

Seeing how close this park is to me (as in I can see it from my house) it's certainly frightening. The whole park has been in a state of disrepair for years - hope none of these casualties become fatalities.
Guitar

Daily Record sports journalist Euan McLean witnessed the accident while standing in the queue with his daughter Macy, nine.
The pair had been on the Tsunami ride three times already.
Euan said:”it was terrible to see.
“I’m still really shaken up by it.
“There are two carriages which each hold 10 people.
“The first one set off and appeared to be working normally.
“But the brakes seemed to come on, then it was as if the brakes released and it was almost like this carriages began almost coasting back to
where it started.
“The second carriage set off. There must have been eight or ten people on board.
“It is one of these rides where your legs dangle from the seat.
“It appeared to be operating normally until it got to about 20 or 30 feet off the ground.
“It seemed to when it got high up the level of the carriage dropped, the actual rail seemed to come up and it was as if the frame of the carriage snapped.
“The carriage with people in it then just flew off the rails from a height of 20 to 30 feet.
“There was lots if screaming because it looked really bad.
“My first thought was for my daughter to get get away from there and
that’s what I did.
“I really hope it is not as bad as it looked”.
COASTERGENICS

early reports from a unconfirmed source via daily mirror twitter say a young girl may loose her hand. i will try and track down the tweet.

*EDIT* i have posted the link to the tweet... https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/ ... 9630455808
Smiffy107

Just heard about this today, theres everyone freaking out over the smiler and then this happens, I think its obvious that this one is so much worse than the smiler, but I still pray for all the victims today, very sad times indeed
The woman asked 'spare a farthing for a beggar', the earl cruelly dismissed her, and instructed his driver to head back to the towers, scorned the old woman screamed the curse 'FOR EVERY BRANCH OF THE OLD OAK THAT FALLS, A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!'
ROYJESS

This is shocking.

My thoughts are with all those that are involved. I wish that all the casualties make a full recovery

Roy :(
Aidan Lowe

First and foremost this is a terrible thing to happen and hope everyone involved is ok.

It also no doubt will have knock on effects for Merlin attractions, with so much media surrounding last years collision this at just over the year mark will again spark a re-ignition and no doubt will cause even more people to not visit theme parks and simply lack trust in them.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
S.J_O'Grady

The Mirror have already found ways of using this to bring The Smiler back into the spotlight.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/al ... ms-8288704" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
rosco1982uk

I live about 15 minutes away from M&D's.

I don't think - sadly - it's come as a surprise to anyone.

This isn't a theme park. It's a funfair with a permanent residence.

This will be the end for it. It was a dump before this and it won't come back from this.
Screech

Isn't it funny how this is already out of the news!!!
Does anyone know any inside information? In particular how the casualties are??
xylyx

Yeah it's been buried by momentous events elsewhere sadly. I've dug around and the last I read was that one of the kids had been through surgery to save a hand add it had been almost severed. The rest had been discharged......but I can't remember where I read it so don't quote me on it :S
Themeparksandy1981

I see the park is still closed. Maybe H&S ain't happy with a lot of things around the park.