M&D's

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
rosco1982uk

The park entrance is effectively a leisure centre like you'd find at a Haven / Butlins resort.

You walk in and on the left is a pub / restaurant, a bowling alley, arcade and pool hall.

On the right is more arcade machines and a kids soft play. Straight on is the entrance to the "theme park".

The leisure centre area was reopened within a few days of the accident and remains open. I stopped in last week and was one of about 4 people there.

The fairground - in my opinion - will never reopen. I'm 33. There's a magic carpet ride and a tilt-a-whirl (waltzers but with no roof) that I went I when on when I was 7. 26 years ago.

There's plenty in that park that Joe Public will never trust again.
rosco1982uk

Update - front page - in today's paper.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott ... er-8440396" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xylyx

Wow that's huge, has anyone been singled out like that before? I sincerely hope it was an oversight on an unblemished professional record, sadly these things never turn out that way.

Saying that though it says a lot that he effectively handed in his license shortly after.
abigsmurf

It's beyond belief that a rollercoaster like that could get to the state where rust causes a complete track failure. I'm not convinced it can just be put down to a single inspector missing it. For it to be immediately apparent from the HSE it doesn't look like it's something easy to miss like micro-fractures or metal fatigue.

Seems like something their on site engineers should have noticed in day to day checks. More than just a single guy's incompetence at play maybe?
Burniel

I completely agree, it's unfair that one person has been singled out for what could be years of ignorance.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Rob
Admin
Admin

Update from M&Ds Facebook page:
All of the rides have undergone thorough independent testing and, following dialogue with the HSE, the theme park has now re-opened to our customers.
Safety remains our paramount concern and each and every ride will continue to be safety checked on a daily basis.

Any customers who still have Daily Record vouchers from our promotion with the paper in May will be valid to use for the rest of the season.
The Tsunami remains closed until further notice.
abigsmurf

To say it's hard to trust them is an understatement.

The log flume hasn't even had its seemingly annual incident yet (last year slide backwards down the lift hill, year before that one of the boats flipped)
Rob
Admin
Admin

abigsmurf wrote:To say it's hard to trust them is an understatement.

The log flume hasn't even had its seemingly annual incident yet (last year slide backwards down the lift hill, year before that one of the boats flipped)
Thats the reason i don't go on it.

Usually go to the park a few times a year but my last visit will likely be my last unless things change dramatically.
RollercoasterRob

I'm quite surprised no-ones mentioned the bad attitude and anti professionalism of the staff yet. Some of the staff in the food outlets stand there like zombies and quite literally look as if they had just gotten out of bed. They don't even talk and be polite when paying for items. There have been two incidents involving ride staff that I have been directly involved with both incidents revolved around the faulty turnstiles at the ride entrances. Instead of helping us through the faulty turnstile that had broken and wouldn't except my wrist band, they instead decided to shout at us for pushing the bars to see if they would move and let us through.
This park simply needs shutting down, there isn't anyone in the world that would wast the time and the energy to try and save this park! Every one of the rides need torn down for scrap, so do the buildings. The problem with the park is the location, Scotland's theme park industry is small and so renovating the park would prove pointless as in order to do this increased attendance would be required to build up revenue.
Scotland will have to face the fact that if they want do visit theme parks then they will also have to be prepared to travel to one, which might as well be a decent one. I'll eat a sock if M&D's survives another 10 years, at least at its current site!!
MakoMania

How long till Merlin buy it :lol

Maybe it's too bad for even Merlin to consider :?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
RollercoasterRob

MakoMania wrote:How long till Merlin buy it :lol

Maybe it's too bad for even Merlin to consider :?
Have you never seen this park before?? I'm not surprised! Merlin would never waste their money on this park, even if it wouldn't cost them much to buy the place outright! It would be unprofitable, even if they tried sprucing things up abit, I feel the key problem with the park could be its location, as mentioned in my previous post. Located in Glasgow, which is not exactly the most wealthy place in the world, a lot of people wouldn't be able to afford the go there if prices were to rise due to any Merlin revamp or expansion to the park and those who could afford to go there would probly rather go to a proper theme park than a parked up traveling fair teeming with Glaswegian chavs!
mark_h

RollercoasterRob wrote:those who could afford to go there would probly rather go to a proper theme park than a parked up traveling fair teeming with Glaswegian chavs!
Would that not be "Glaswegian neds" rather than chavs.
Dan

Tsunami, the rollercoaster which derailed last June and left 10 people injured has been dismantled and removed from the park.

This article on the Daily Record confirms the ride was removed last week and a spokesman for the park has said "the ride will not be returning".
Jack

....And nothing of value was lost
Dom

I have to say I think this was probably the right decision for the park. From my understanding its a small park, so for it to have an incident like that and to not remove the coaster, would have been a very bad call to make for the future of the park. I'm sure they didn't take the decision lightly, but sometimes, it just has to be done
Rob
Admin
Admin

Compensation paid to those injured.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... t-50683944
Dan

Some sad news coming out of the park as M&D’s have released a statement confirming that they have gone into administration.
We can confirm that Michelle Elliot and Stuart Robb of Leonard Curtis have today been appointed administrators of M&D Leisure Ltd.

It has been a challenging few years and we have worked really hard to try to diversify and keep the business afloat. Like many leisure businesses, the plans we had for the 2020 season have had to be cancelled due to COVID-19.

We explored all options to try and safeguard the business and jobs of our colleagues, many of whom are longstanding, however it is with a heavy heart that we are having to make 165 employees redundant.
GregH94

This is a shame but not surprising, their attendance has been close to zero for the past few years since the incident on Tsunami - just watch one of TPWW’s vlogs from 2018, 30 degree heat and walk on queues. It looked like it was a terrible park but not without potential, hope someone manages to buy it and turn it into something cool 
Coaster Chall

Yeah. Like the Fantasy Island situation when it was bought by the Mellors Group I do have hope for M&D's.
Lee

GregH94 wrote:This is a shame but not surprising, their attendance has been close to zero for the past few years since the incident on Tsunami - just watch one of TPWW’s vlogs from 2018, 30 degree heat and walk on queues. It looked like it was a terrible park but not without potential, hope someone manages to buy it and turn it into something cool 
It would require someone with substantial cash to turn the park around. Nobody is going to be investing or financially backing an amusement/theme park any time soon in the current climate.