Help us help the park: Merlin - Their Response:

Attraction Source and TowersTimes website news, comments and suggestions.
WillPS

The ultra-cynic in me says making next years "a bit more special" is a wishy washy promise - after all, we don't know what the plans originally were, so we have nothing to judge this against.

The letter has restored my faith in Nick Varney and Merlin Entertainments, however. He gets it.

Particularly, what stuck out for me was his appraisal of both John Broome's and Tussauds' successes and failures. Both 'boomed' when successfully attracting both families and thrill-seekers, both ultimately 'defaulted' on thrill-seekers.

I disagree, however, with his assertion that Th13teen successfully captured both markets. I think Th13teen actually alienated the family market it should have excited, whilst disappointing the thrill-seeker market at which it was blatantly positioned.

Nick went as far as to compare its success with Nemesis - but Nemesis' real success is its legacy, and here Th13teen will forever pale in comparison. Nemesis brought (and continues to bring) guests through the gates year after year. Does Nick have figures that suggest Th13teen has achieved success in this regard?

I've not been to Alton Towers this year nor do I plan to (for the first time in 9 years, which I hope says something), but all I hear both on here and from (non-fanatic) acquaintances is how quiet the park seems. Th13teen clearly has not had the enduring 'Nemesis-like' effect to which Nick's letter alludes.

For my mind, it's clear that the aforementioned erroneous 'marketing a ride sold as a "family coaster" as a thrill ride and scoring both markets' method is the reason.

Lets look again at the undisputed success of the 1994 season, and Nick's belief that success for Alton Towers lies in attracting both markets simultaneously. The 1994 season goes a long way in supporting this belief, but rather than expecting a single attraction to serve both markets - there was in fact 2 major attractions for 1994, the other being the fondly remembered Toyland Tours. Two distinct attractions, two opposite corners of the park, two completely different markets, both successfully captured and dragged back in year-after-year.

So whilst I wholeheartedly agree and endorse the principle of attracting both markets, I think the clear lesson to be learnt is that you should build and market family rides for families (which is what Th13teen should have been) AND thrill rides for thrill seekers but never the twain should meet!

To end on a positive note - and I feel that's important since I find myself suitably refreshed by this communication - I am overjoyed to learn of Nick's disapproval of the Fanta sponsorship.
Bear

A bit more special, eh?

*Secretly prays for a Top Scan to be put in Black Hole's tent*

[-o<
DiogoJ42

Top Scans get far too much hype. But that's another topic...
Scott

It's a shame there was no reason given for the daft car parking prices, but apart from that, it's great to see they got in touch with you after the recent concerns about the direction Towers is taking.
Number ONE for Pleasure Beach Blackpool;
[url=http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com[/url]
haydn!

It's great to actually get a personal response from pretty much the most important person in the UK theme park industry!

I'm glad he shares our feelings on Oblivion, and hopefully Coca Cola will be happy to work with Merlin/Alton Towers on improving this. Also the hints about 2012 and 2013 seem pretty promising and although it good just be a great excuse, I'm kinda please Merlin were prepared to take a hit this year rather than rush through some half-arsed plan B.

And whilst he didn't address the issue of up-selling, I think the biggest cause of this has already left the park since we initially sent the petition; Alton Towers DVD!

As annoying as the others can be, they're actually quite good offers... the re-fillable drinks for example! The photo passes also, I was up-sold on this but the staff member was very good in her approach, simply "Do you think you'll be buying more photo's today? ... then you're probably going to be better off with this..." £20 for 5 instead of £8 for one is a no brainer!
Blizzard

Well Im certainly looking forward to this "Extra Special" investment for next year, hopefuly it will be a ride, most peferably a rollercoaster!

A very nice responce, nice to see that our oppinions do count & that the management cares about the management & the park itsself!

:)

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.